The Gulf States loom: Bach opened pandora's box. Out of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and UAE, which is the "least bad" option and which is the worst?

Our jokes have now officially turned to fears, and I think it is fair to have a discussion about it accordingly.  I think we are all privy to Bach's quote about being opening to switching dates now for "certain regions".  I think this is the frightening shoe in the door that countries like Qatar, UAE, and Saudi Arabia wanted exactly.  

All of these countries are absolutely beyond repulsive from a women's rights, LGBT rights perspective, and worker's perspective.  No doubt such a country would use slave labor like Qatar did and there would be plenty of casualties.

So which would be "best"?  Im thinking UAE as that is still a vacation destination for western tourists and women can still dress in a western way.  I think Saudi Arabia would be the absolute worst given the burqua thing and treating women like actual livestock (if you've ever interacted with the Saudis, you know this).  

It makes me pray for Istanbul hard right now.  They might as well be choir boys in comparison.  Thoughts?

• Thanks 1

I used to think of Dubai as the region’s long term possible/probable, but then it was Doha that emerged as the region’s hosting hoarder, with the Saudi’s now just throwing silly money around to upstage them. I’d be incredibly dismayed to see Qatar or KSA snatch the Olympics, and I could just about stomach UAE, though they’re the least likely.

Ahmedabad’s starting to look not-totally repulsive.

• Like 1

Yeah, well, it does seem, especially as of late, that the writing is already on the wall about the Middle East hosting an Olympics in the sometime, relative near-future. And of those three, I'd agree that the UAE would seem like the most palatable, but also agree, seems like the most unlikely of the trio. So then that leaves SA & QA. And of those two, they each have their issues & their so-called 'pros', if you will (at least according to our favorite columnist AA [who now writes for ITG's, which seems perfect for him], especially when it comes to Doh-a, that is).  

SA has the draw of being the biggest country of the three to play that card, but Doha OTHO, has that splashy-flashy, "fun" card, like the Vegas of the Middle East, if you will, going for it. And they'd probably be less controversial than SA would. But ultimately, it's the geopolitical relationships that's going to give one over the other the edge here, & I'd still say that's going to be QA. They've been playing this game the longest, & their emir has been an IOC member for half his life already, & has surely been bending Bach's ear, especially as of late after the 2032 coronation (which he wasn't particularly happy about). Qatar can still play the Middle East card just as good as SA can, & the rest of the world won't be trying to decipher which of the two would be the 'most deserving' in that category anyway.

That said, though, this list is still missing that 'wild card' in this case, which is India, which would also benefit from a "switching of Summer Olympic dates 'til later in the year" category.  And which Bach is also playing political footsie with, & which India also has two prominent IOC members in their ranks, & can advocate that they're now the largest country in the world that has yet to host the Olympic Games. And with the latest inclusion of Cricket at the Olympics (which the Indians are huge fans of) & now this latest tidbit from Bach about the dates, do we really need anymore clues as to what's really going on here? At this point, it wouldn't surprise me in the least, that in the next Summer Olympic host city coronations that we'll have a(nother) double-allocation of Doh-a & Ahmeda-bad, so Bach & Co. doesn't have to choose between his 'alliances' & make anyone upset or angry, & therefore continue the great new-norm's "less losers" outcome.

well the "good" thing about Doha is that most if not all of its infrastructure should be ready, considering the 2006 and 2030 Asian Games.

that being said, I think I'd prefer the UAE out of the three.

Doha is not splashy, or flashy or fun…there is literally nothing there to do. ZERO.

I meant that in comparison to Riyadh (which is the gist of this thread). So when compared that way, Doh-a would seem like paradise in the middle of nowhere.

The city that looks impressive in photos is tiny- there area about 10 tall buildings.

Hmmmm, that sounds just like another city that’s been talked about a lot around here lately.. :ph34r:

spacer.png