Germany´06 - First Impressions

What do u think about Germany´06? Successful so far? How is the atmosphere? The stadiums? The games? What is your home media reporting about the tournament, about the hosting country?

Post your impressions here.

So far so good, although it is way too early.

I also think that sometimes the atmosphere does not truly come across on a television set. The only people that can make an informed judgement are the people that experience it firsthand.

On the organisation side, everything is going pretty much with what I expected...German efficiency. My only problem is sometimes not being able to see the ball because of shadows in the stadia...a small problem but annoying all the same.

At least we don't have to worry about car-jackings in Germany. See you in Cape Town in 2010.

My only problem is sometimes not being able to see the ball because of shadows in the stadia...a small problem but annoying all the same.

Yeah, thats right. But the next matches in Frankfurt/M. and Gelsenkirchen will be played under a closed roof.

not true. they do not close the roof unless it is raining. but it won´t rain in germany until 9 july 06;-)

Let me add another opinion :D : I don't know. According to this BBC article posted by Arwebb in the "England In Water Plea To Fifa" topic, FIFA considered closing the stadium roofs due to the shadows which spoil the TV images. But I don't know whether they've finally adopted this.

At the match in Hannover between the Czechs and the USA, the roof was closed and, according to the broadcast, it was for the shadows.

Well, the organization was perfect and the stadiums are amazing. The atmosphere I don't know :P About the games, most of them boring after the goal...

one thing i dislike are the few reserved fans who sit still and are almost emotionless in the stadia ...especially when u have 20000 italian fans screaming and jumping around you..they almost dont react to the atmosphere and thats poor for footballl...i hope they not some boring germans who just came to watch because the match was in their town...

I only thing I dislike about the tournement so far is the fact that there have been empty seats. This is primarily due to the fact that 500,000 tickets were given to sponsors instead of being sold off, and since passport numbers and names need to be on the tickets, they are not easily transferable.

one thing i dislike are the few reserved fans who sit still and are almost emotionless in the stadia ...especially when u have 20000 italian fans screaming and jumping around you..they almost dont react to the atmosphere and thats poor for footballl...i hope they not some boring germans who just came to watch because the match was in their town...

I think that every nation has football fans who can't really celebrate, sing and dance (and so on) during a match. That's a matter of being introverted or extroverted, not a matter of nation. So those emotionless viewers are not necessarily Germans. I also guess that especially the people from the town in which the match takes place are enthusiastic because they're glad and proud that their town is one of the World Cup cities.

God you guys are getting a bit silly already and it's only the fist round of the group stage. Get a grip already!!!! It's already anybody's tournament... And YES I have already seen Brazil...

I'll go out on a limb here, none of you on this website have been objective or impartial, just blind!!!!!

South Africa 2010 - Durban - New Semi Final Venue - 80,000

http://www.durban.gov.za/eThekwini/Municip...7827493008/view

That's way off-topic: But do you know when they will announce the dates for the 2010 World Cup? I'm pretty surprised that those dates haven't been announced yet (at least I couldn't find any, neither on the official website nor on Wikipedia etc.) -- since the World Cup is only four years away and the South African organisers will be in the public spotlight very soon, after the end of the current World Cup.

The article says 70,000 not 80,000.

Will it also be packed after the World Cup, or will it be just another White Elephant?

white elephant? the stadiums capacity can fluctuate up to 80,000 using retractable seating in future...i dont know about white elephant but cape towns stadium is planned to be used for indoor event as well and use the venue creatively..

and who cares about white elephants..it shud be the city's responsibility to look after the legacy of the stadium...a few stadia were bashed down after the 2002 world cup...its awful but i dont care...provide good stadia that are packed during the world cup is all that matters...whether or not our stadia have a legacy is up to each city to make it work...if a city chooses to build a dramatic or large stadium thats there decision and they have to face up to the consequences like most olympic cities have had to...

white elephant? the stadiums capacity can fluctuate up to 80,000 using retractable seating in future...i dont know about white elephant but cape towns stadium is planned to be used for indoor event as well and use the venue creatively..

and who cares about white elephants..it shud be the city's responsibility to look after the legacy of the stadium...a few stadia were bashed down after the 2002 world cup...its awful but i dont care...provide good stadia that are packed during the world cup is all that matters...whether or not our stadia have a legacy is up to each city to make it work...if a city chooses to build a dramatic or large stadium thats there decision and they have to face up to the consequences like most olympic cities have had to...

Could you also answer my question, please (see above)?

i cant speak for the durban stadium regarding whether it will be packed or not..durban gets pretty poor crowds for rugby etc..however its one of those cities that think they will get the olympics one day so ..i dunno...im sure there is some legacy in place as the stadium is part of a large sports park they apparently planning...to include indoor arena's the aquatic centre...and btw...its being built next to an existing 60,000 seater rugby stadium so go figure...cant say im the biggest fan of durban..i certainly would not be building a large stadium next to an existing large stadium...

oh...sorry are u referring to the dates?...well FIFA wants the world cup during winter and doesnt seem to want to budge...however this is an awful time to host matches in cold/rainy/windy conditions..so we still have to see...at the moment as little info as possible is supposed to be revealed regarding the 2010 world cup as the focus is meant to be on germany...however as far as i know its still set for june or july...id say october would be much better or even september to get some nice sunny days..

(...)

oh...sorry are u referring to the dates?...well FIFA wants the world cup during winter and doesnt seem to want to budge...however this is an awful time to host matches in cold/rainy/windy conditions..so we still have to see...at the moment as little info as possible is supposed to be revealed regarding the 2010 world cup as the focus is meant to be on germany...however as far as i know its still set for june or july...id say october would be much better or even september to get some nice sunny days..

Of course it would rather make sense to stage the World Cup in the South African summer (or spring). But that's practically impossible since during this time (the winter in the northern hemisphere) the league matches take place. And you can't stage a World Cup when most of the participating countries and players are amidst their league seasons.

true...there will need to be some agreement..so from that logic it seems prob a winter world cup..meaning ave temps of 17/18 C for cape town...low 20's to mid 20's for durban...cape town is the only city thats gets winter rainfall..most other cities get summer rainfall..

Winter

Winter in South Africa (May to July) is characterised in the higher-lying areas of the interior plateau by dry, sunny, crisp days and cold nights. So it's a good idea to bring warm clothes.

The hot, humid KwaZulu-Natal coast, as well as the Lowveld (lower-lying areas) of Mpumalanga and Limpopo provinces, offer fantastic winter weather with sunny, warmish days and virtually no wind or rain.

The Western Cape gets most of its rain in winter, with quite a few days of cloudy, rainy weather. However, these are always interspersed with wonderful days to rival the best of a British summer.

The high mountains of the Cape and the Drakensberg in KwaZulu-Natal usually get snow in winter.

true...there will need to be some agreement..so from that logic it seems prob a winter world cup..meaning ave temps of 17/18 C for cape town...low 20's to mid 20's for durban...cape town is the only city thats gets winter rainfall..most other cities get summer rainfall..

Winter

Winter in South Africa (May to July) is characterised in the higher-lying areas of the interior plateau by dry, sunny, crisp days and cold nights. So it's a good idea to bring warm clothes.

The hot, humid KwaZulu-Natal coast, as well as the Lowveld (lower-lying areas) of Mpumalanga and Limpopo provinces, offer fantastic winter weather with sunny, warmish days and virtually no wind or rain.

The Western Cape gets most of its rain in winter, with quite a few days of cloudy, rainy weather. However, these are always interspersed with wonderful days to rival the best of a British summer.

The high mountains of the Cape and the Drakensberg in KwaZulu-Natal usually get snow in winter.

So you see: Your winter weather isn't that bad. It's actually better than the summer weather in many European countries! :D And it can't get worse than in Argentina in 1978: Obviously it was so cold there that Argentina's coach Menotti had to wear a coat during the World Cup final.

I think this WC is going very well. Much better than Korea-Japan 2002. The stadiums are great, the atmosphere is great and after all, it's in Europe :D

Of course the South African World Cup will be held during its winter - all World Cups have to been schedualled around the major football leagues of Europe because that's where all the major players compete. Although this may mean that South African cities aren't seen in glorious sunshine all the time, it will mean that the football matches will be far more likely to be even more fast paced and exciting than playing in hot summer temperatures.

I'm really loving Germany 2006 too - the German authorities seem to be coping very well with all the fans - there has been nothing but praise for the German police so far from the British media and the atmosphere is great.

I would care about White Elephants, because i pay taxes.

A totally irresponsible opinion! Of course a potential host has a duty not to bankrupt their city or nation on unecessary fripperies and leave future generations with the consquences ...

Yet for all that, I like your honest and unconventional attitude to the whole issue Mo! Good on ya!

Archived