Favorite Tourch Lighting?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

We do, in the end, declare that the lighting ceremony of the Barcelona Olympics in 1992 remains unprecedented in the dramatic artistry and sheer emotional majesty of any Olympic opening before or after. This cannot be disputed. The evidence is simply too clear...

We do, in the end, declare that the lighting ceremony of the Barcelona Olympics in 1992 remains unprecedented in the dramatic artistry and sheer emotional majesty of any Olympic opening before or after. This cannot be disputed. The evidence is simply too clear...

of course if Barcelona is worthy of getting yoru nomination then it must be the best...after all you are the ruling czar! :P

They will construct a giant cauldron that everyone can see it from anywhere on the planet. It will under water at the new dam of the 3 rivers (the one that they moved millions of people). The last torch runner will approach, it will light the waters behind the dam and the cauldron will raise in the sky.

They will construct a giant cauldron that everyone can see it from anywhere on the planet. It will under water at the new dam of the 3 rivers (the one that they moved millions of people). The last torch runner will approach, it will light the waters behind the dam and the cauldron will raise in the sky.

wow sounds wonderful lol

• 3 weeks later...
BTW - there is a rumor that the flame went out in Montreal. I don't know how true this is but it has been rumored for many years.

Its aparently true. It wase raining and the flame got extinguist. A worker actualy re-lit the caldron... with his lighter! The flame wase eventualy re-lit with the back-up flame.

Barcelona & Sydney, the best lightings ever. Specially Barcelona, who camed as the maximum reference of an olympic flame lighting.

As for favourite cauldron lighters, there's Muhammad Ali on Atlanta 96, a special tribute for one of the best athletes of history (although the lighting of the cauldron was a cr@p). Also i loved Cathy Freeman.

ali.jpg_926609_new_freeman300.jpg

I agree with much of the users here. That Seoul cauldron was a authentic dove barbacue xD

o92_33.jpg

The Athens 2004 opening ceremony was one of the best ever, except for the disguisting cauldron lighting (i remember my cousin was watching the ceremony with me and told me this was something like a Bob Marley tribute :lol: )

bulletin_1973-01-01_1_page003_img005_small.gifathe0003.jpg

Barcelona & Sydney, the best lightings ever. Specially Barcelona, who camed as the maximum reference of an olympic flame lighting.

As for favourite cauldron lighters, there's Muhammad Ali on Atlanta 96, a special tribute for one of the best athletes of history (although the lighting of the cauldron was a cr@p).

The 1996 lighting WASN'T a tribute to that decrepit person. I know what you're saying -- but don't equate the lighting honor with the choice of the final lighter. That was purely a bad decision on Dick Ebersol's and Billy Payne's parts.

For me the best lighting scenarios (BTW, the Lillehammer downhill skier was NOT the final lighter; he was the penultimate lighter and then handing it over to the good-for-nothing crown princess) :lol: . But the best, bar none, were Sydney's and Barcelona.

Can't wait for Vancouver's RIng of Fire, as conceived by Mr. X, and which would immediately warm the planet by 10 degrees, thereby melting all the snow in Whistler -- and thus postponing all the snow events until PyongChang 2014. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Barcelona's was extremely emotive - however Sydney's cauldron from the water was so unexpected and even the pause just gave it such majesty. It made this grown man cry.

That's what must've jammed the damn thing: all those Sydneyites' tears. Birch and his designers hadn't counted on salty water mixing in with their fresh water during rehearsals. :lol:

• 1 year later...

Hello - does anyone remember the stand-in replacement who did the ski jump and skiid (spelling?) downhill a very long time (while carrying the torch of course) and then lit the cauldron ? It might have been Lillehammer? The original lighter had practiced many, many times and had the jump perfected when he had an accident at the last minute and the stand-in wound up with the honor of actually doing the jump, after practicing that jump and downhill trip only once!! It was quite a few years ago and it was amazing because the first man had practiced endlessly whereas the replacement had only time for one trial run and the ceremony was flawless !! Would LOVE to know the names of the two men. Thanks !!

Hello - does anyone remember the stand-in replacement who did the ski jump and skiid (spelling?) downhill a very long time (while carrying the torch of course) and then lit the cauldron ? It might have been Lillehammer? The original lighter had practiced many, many times and had the jump perfected when he had an accident at the last minute and the stand-in wound up with the honor of actually doing the jump, after practicing that jump and downhill trip only once!! It was quite a few years ago and it was amazing because the first man had practiced endlessly whereas the replacement had only time for one trial run and the ceremony was flawless !! Would LOVE to know the names of the two men. Thanks !!

The jumper originally scheduled for that segment was Ole Gunnar Fidjestøl. The stand-in and actual "torch jumper" was Stein Gruben. But he didn't light the cauldron. The last torchbearer was the Norwegian Crown Prince Haakon.

See Wikipedia - 1994 Winter Olympics

Archived