Why Paris Really Lost 2012.

OK, GB'ders, I'm back. After doing this little R&R and a fact-finding trip for the IOC, I managed to confer with some of my IOC colleagues and was made privy to the real story behind the close call of the July Singapore vote. ANd I don't know if it's been posted already here on GB - I don't recall seeing it, bUT...from a really reliable source...

It turns out that during the Evaluation Commission visit to Paris, the baggage handlers at the airports were on strike. So, one of the Eval Com. top cheeses did NOT get his luggage until 2 days after arriving. So this IOC person reasoned, and I think rightfully so, that if the Paris organizers could not guarantee a glitch-free visit even for a relatvely minor Eval. Commission visit, how much more could they NOT guarantee (vis-a-vis larger civil servant strikes) a much larger disruption during the actual Games? And this Eval Com. was one of the 4 who flipped the score for London.

Too bad because the trip to Paris and the Pyrenees was really enjoyable. Really loved Paris again; and found a few surprises in the Pyrenees. More about all this later; am still getting over jet lag.

Welcome back, Baron. Hope you had a great time.

Well, I do remember there was all that strike action going on during the Paris eval visit, so I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't rub off a bit.

Betcha you're just trying to lay bait to lure Cordelia back.

I think I remember it being said somewhere that Evaluation members Nawal El Moutawakel and Frankie Fredericks had both admitted to voting for London - although I'm sure since the last July 99% of the IOC claim to have done the same!

Correct me if I'm wrong -- but I always thought that the Evaluation Commission members aren't allowed to take part in the host city election?!

One would think so; but they vote. The reasoning here is probably any favoritism shown will always be cancelled by other votes; and if anything, the Eval Comm's votes might even be the best choice(s) having actually visited ALL candidate cities. And then of course, the Eval Committee's members could always ABSTAIN from the vote.

Maybe we should decide this once and for all by doing a poll?

Question: Just how did London manage to beat Paris to win the 2012 Olympics?

1. The London Bid Team bribed IOC voters?

2. Tony Blair bribed IOC voters?

3. Tessa Jowell and her husband bribed Sylvio Berlusconi?

4. Sebastian Coe's presentation to the IOC in Singapore?

5. The Paris Bid Team's presentation to the IOC in Singapore?

6. Jacques Chirac's comments about British and Finnish food?

7. A member of the IOC pushed the wrong button during the vote?

8. Juan Antonio Samaranch ensured enough of Madrid's votes were switched to support London?

9. A strike among Paris airport workers pissed off one or two IOC members during their eval.visit?

10. A combination of one or more of the above?

What's the final verdict Gamesbidders?? B)

There are just too many 'certain' resons to choose from. It's quite funny now.

To be serious though, i'm in the way of thinking that the presentations swayed at least one vote to London in the final round. The bid was vibrent with a really good message, where as Paris had a load of 80 year old men in grey suits shove 'WE WANT THE GAMES' down everyones throats without telling anyone why, whilst winking at each other arrogantly.

And that blonde Spanish fencer was enough to put anyone off voting for Madrid.

Archived