If 2032 needed a hasty evac out of Brisbaine, who would IOC turn to in order to deliver?

54 minutes ago, FYI said:

The thing is that republicans are starting to grow wary of the (antiquated) electoral college, because of the country's shifting of political demographics. States that were once solid-red, like Arizona, Texas, Georgia & North Carolina for example, are slowly starting to become purple now.

Maybe you're right, but I've been hearing this for years, will believe it when I see it.

Anyway, we're getting well off topic. :(

43 minutes ago, Rob2012 said:

Maybe you're right, but I've been hearing this for years, will believe it when I see it.

Anyway, we're getting well off topic. :(

We've already seen it, though.

President Biden narrowly won Arizona & Georgia in the last election (the first Democratic presidential candidate that has done that in those two states in decades, even Obama didn't win those). And in Texas, Trump won 5.9 million of the popular vote there, while Biden won 5.3 million. So the tide seems to be turning in some long-time red states, & that's what has the republicons all antsy & pulling all kinds of mischievous stuff for the next election.  

And yes, we're now getting off-topic (although that wouldn't be a first for GB's, though). But you're the one who started talking about the electoral college. ;) I know there's a a political thread from the second to last U.S. election (& was going to take this there), but that's well into the archives by now I'm sure.

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2024 at 5:40 PM, sebastien1214 said:

Why not Sydney or Melbourne ? I love Europe, that's my continent but we have 2024, 2026, 2030... that's a lot of Olympics for us in a short time.

It won't matter, especially with Europe being the main NOC

On 4/16/2024 at 4:10 AM, Rob2012 said:

France's electoral system produces 'least-worst' winners. And it was designed with exactly that aim in mind (I read a really interesting piece on how it was conceived a while back, doubt I can find it again now).

The presidential system of vote in France was created precisely for Charles De Gaulle to avoid the instability created by the Third and Fourth Republics which an atomized Congress was capable to sack a President on first way (Think about Peru right now but ten times). Some of the detractors said this created hyper presidents (Cough Mélenchon cough) but for all the criticisms, that created a sense of political stability and value. 

Also, true about the "least of the worst" and this still is the main obstacle of Le Pen and her minions. Even when they won the big battle in the Parliamentary elections with 88 deputies, 9 of 10 times the RN candidate went to second round to another, they lost the election. This is why in European and regional elections they over performed for the first sole round. 

Not saying it's not worrisome, but at least on that aspect this helps a lot and also helps among the other far-right groups (Zemmourists, right wing LR pixies) have some irreconcilable differences (Ex. Economy plans)