Official Results And Standings Thread

The Czech republic have historically played terribly without Koller in the lineup at one time or another. I think they are ripe of Italy to pick, therefore they will be trounced by Brazil in the next round unless Croatia or Australia can pull out a miracle.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
France-Switzerland 0-0!

do they want repeat Korea2002?

Well, I didn't expect a lot of France in this tournament anyway. Their glorious days were already over in 2002 (or in 2003 at the latest -- when they won the Confed Cup once more) and they never recovered since then. But I don't expect that they don't survive the group stages once more. Their group is too weak this time -- thus it would be really embarrassing if they failed to reach the round of 16.

France-Switzerland 0-0!

do they want repeat Korea2002?

At least they didn't lose. I believe the Swiss will make some noise in this tournament. Maybe favourite France won't make it out of the group again. Hmmm, makes you wonder. If Korea beats France in their next matches, then I say France is out. That games is a must win for France.

It's unbelievable -- but it turns out as an almost universally valid rule that the favourites show very weak performances in their opening matches at this World Cup. Only Germany and the Czech Republic delivered powerful and impressing matches.

Brazil was a huge disappointment. Especially Ronaldo: Just a chubby lazy a*s. Probably it's true: Brazil shows its best performances only outside of Europe. Even hot "Brazilian" temperatures (as we in Germany currently have them) obviously don't help them. Sorry, but in my eyes currently only two teams deserve reaching the final: Germany and the Czech Republic. Should Brazil keep up that lame performance, they aren't even worth the third place.

The Czech republic have historically played terribly without Koller in the lineup at one time or another. I think they are ripe of Italy to pick, therefore they will be trounced by Brazil in the next round unless Croatia or Australia can pull out a miracle.

Me too Rei, I was thinking the same thing!!! According to the UK Radio pundits, this game was the worst game so far! To put it another way, they thought that neither team actually wanted to win. Useless.

Croatia is a very solid and fierce team.. I remebered it very well as we lost against them 2-1 in KJ2002

Do you know I think you read my mind for once Baron!!! I love to hear about Kaka.

"It's a goal and it's Kaka"

Always makes me laugh!!!!!! Class. I guess you and I just have a different sense of humour! I know it's silly to get a kick out of this but hey I must have a small mind!

It's unbelievable -- but it turns out as an almost universally valid rule that the favourites show very weak performances in their opening matches at this World Cup. Only Germany and the Czech Republic delivered powerful and impressing matches.

Brazil was a huge disappointment. Especially Ronaldo: Just a chubby lazy a*s. Probably it's true: Brazil shows its best performances only outside of Europe. Even hot "Brazilian" temperatures (as we in Germany currently have them) obviously don't help them. Sorry, but in my eyes currently only two teams deserve reaching the final: Germany and the Czech Republic. Should Brazil keep up that lame performance, they aren't even worth the third place.

Best teams so far: Czech Republic, Argentina and Italy

Croatia played so well, I don't see Australia or Japan getting by them, though Australia could tie them, so whomever loses to Brazil by the least amount of goals should go through.

Best teams so far: Czech Republic, Argentina and Italy

I agree that Argentina, Czech Republic and Italy have looked the best so far but all the other fancied teams have still won - it's just that they haven't needed to put much effort into it yet. Brazil seemed to have not a care in the world today against Croatia - Ronaldo looked like nothing but a big grumpy heavy burden to his team mates - as soon as he left the pitch he probably went to McDonalds for a Not-so-Happy Meal.

In one of the easier groups I would have assumed that France would have done a little more - although if they were to draw in one of their matches they probably would have chosen the Switzerland game.

I had to smile at Gary Lineker's comment on Brazil's goal at the end of the post match discussion:

"It was a cracker from Kaka!"

Otherwise,this did not seem to me like a world cup winning performance from the Brazilians!

The teams that have impressed me so far are: Germany,Italy and the Czech Republic.

I still feel confident that Germany at least will end up as one of the finalists!

Looking forward to seeing how Spain and the Ukraine perform tomorrow.

Errrmmmm. My last reply has got the wrong quotes against it.. It's not my fault by the way! Bugger!

I get what you are feeling at moment, but I disagree. I don't think that Germany and some others are good enough at the moment, and I include England in that list and some other big names. The first round means nothing except that it is important to win your first match... It could all go downhill from here on for some teams!

At least they didn't lose. I believe the Swiss will make some noise in this tournament. Maybe favourite France won't make it out of the group again.

The advantage for Switzerland and France, should they both qualify, is that they will only meet the leading two teams from Group H. Group G and H are the two weakest groups in my opinion but two of their teams are guaranteed places in the quarter finals - I know it's the luck of the draw, but it seems unfair when either Italy or the Czech Rep or Brazil will have to leave the competition in the second round - these teams are all considerably better than those in Groups G or H.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of Switzerland either though - David and Philipp Degen are both eye-catching footballers - I'm sure they'd both be in my fantasy football team!

I get what you are feeling at moment, but I disagree. I don't think that Germany and some others are good enough at the moment, and I include England in that list and some other big names. The first round means nothing except that it is important to win your first match... It could all go downhill from here on for some teams!

Beth honey, me things your problem is you click the reply or quotes botton that comes before the post you want to quote, not after like you should.

No offence, but if any of your are suprised by the Swiss draw, you didn't pay attention to their qualifying. All of the Swiss' games against France, Ireland and Israel ended in a draw, including a 0-0 draw against France. I called this in my pool. (btw I am now 3 in my pool after today)

Could the French -Swiss match be anymore exciting and nail biting or what?

Anyways... the Polish-German game should be something to lookforward to.... All the best to Polska! B)

Beth honey, me things your problem is you click the reply or quotes botton that comes before the post you want to quote, not after like you should.

No offence, but if any of your are suprised by the Swiss draw, you didn't pay attention to their qualifying. All of the Swiss' games against France, Ireland and Israel ended in a draw, including a 0-0 draw against France. I called this in my pool. (btw I am now 3 in my pool after today)

I believe they had a draw against Italy as well before the World Cup started.

Could the French -Swiss match be anymore exciting and nail biting or what?

Anyways... the Polish-German game should be something to lookforward to.... All the best to Polska! B)

I really don't know what your problem is -- you live in Germany, right? So why don't you root for the Germans then?

I really don't know what your problem is -- you live in Germany, right? So why don't you root for the Germans then?

Just because someone lives in a country doesn't mean they have to support the team.

Just because someone lives in a country doesn't mean they have to support the team.

I just asked because Turkish Guy seems a little bit too revengeful to me -- since he recently wished all Northern European nations to fail in this World Cup.

I just asked because Turkish Guy seems a little bit too revengeful to me -- since he recently wished all Northern European nations to fail in this World Cup.

He is still pissed off about Switzerland beating out Turkey in the playoff by goal difference. If the goal difference was in Turkey's favour he would have no problem.

Archived