Official Results And Standings Thread

OMG guys!!!!!

Thanx to all 4 the great comments to my Italy (expecially thanx to Quintana!).

I do have to say this was the most brilliant match i've seen in this WC, and that I am SOOOOOO happy and proud of my Italy, expecially coz they beated the host team and in a very tough but excellent game.

I don't have anything more to add...but...

FORZA AZZURRI!!!!!

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First of all: Congratulazioni, Italia! They had very tough times against our team but after all celebrated a deserved victory. This time the new German fitness didn't carry long enough to save the 0-0 for the penalty shoot out. The Italians absolutely took their chances -- and I can't blame them for that.

I can tell you: I died thrice this evening (at the least). It was still very hot (we had 33 °C today here in North Rhine-Westphalia) and my poor heart had to deliver its hardest work in my life. 120 minutes of absolute horror -- and then without reward.

But I'm really not bitter. Our team has delivered a magnificent performance today and at the previous matches -- a performance almost nobody in Germany seriously expected just a few months ago. They made us dream. And in a way, this dream is not completely over yet. We still have one match to go -- and with a third place we could still leave this tournament with our heads high and a very respectable result.

And even if we should lose against Portugal or France next Saturday: We are one of the four best football teams in the world. This time, this rank is absolutely deserved -- since we had much more difficult opponents in this final round than four years ago. So even now, that we have lost our title as Vice World Champion, we'll leave this World Cup with an actually better result than in 2002.

Thanks for all the support from this forum and from all over the world for our team. I very much hope that you all will still root for us next Saturday.

Well said.

I am stil numb, but its only sport and there is always another day and another game and another tournement. Germany has a great young team that will only get better, its unfortunate that Frings, Ballack, Schneider, Neuville and Asamoah did not get their chance to lift the trophy and now probably won't, but with the young team and two more years experience there is still a chance at European Championship glory in their two neighbours in two years time. That is if they can get that group stage thing worked out. I really hope Klinsmann stays on as the National Team coach instead of going to the States. He has brought a new approach to football in Germany and it was a pleasure to watch.

To the Germans on the board I hope you are not too disappointed and take heart in the great performance the team has put on these last few weeks.

That was the best match of this tournament. I felt like I was on an emotional rollercoaster, going up and down. Italy and Germany both played well but the Azzurri turned it on in the late minutes of the second overtime. Cannavaro has to be the best defender out of all the nations. Whoever lives in Toronto and its surrounding regions knows if it's a Italy - Portugal Final, this city will be in chaos. For those not aware, Toronto holds the largest Italian and Portuguese populations in the world outside of Italy and Portugal.

FORZA ITALIA!! I think they are going all the way.

That was the best match of this tournament. I felt like I was on an emotional rollercoaster, going up and down. Italy and Germany both played well but the Azzurri turned it on in the late minutes of the second overtime. Cannavaro has to be the best defender out of all the nations. Whoever lives in Toronto and its surrounding regions knows if it's a Italy - Portugal Final, this city will be in chaos. For those not aware, Toronto holds the largest Italian and Portuguese populations in the world outside of Italy and Portugal.

FORZA ITALIA!! I think they are going all the way.

A friend from Kitchener made a similar comment about a certain part of the city if it is a Portugal-Italy final.

Congratulations Italy on your well deserved victory!

What an amazing match!!!! One of the best I have ever seen.

I was with Germany but Italy deserved the victory. Finally, they played and they didn't stand only defending... they ran, they shot and they scored, at the last moment, but they did. Both team played wonderful and I believe that would have been a great final match.

Germany, Euro 2008 will be your turn :)

Italy, congratulations and good luck for the next match :)

Do you know the feeling when something bad has happened the day before, you go to sleep without having completely realised what happened and wake up believing that you dreamed everything? And then you realise in full measure that everything truly happened... I'm feeling very depressed right now.

Maybe it was simply too early for our team to get that far -- maybe it was simply a too quick, a too radical rise for them. Just four months ago, on March 1 (after the 1-4 defeat against Italy), we all thought that we had a terrible "chaos troup" as national team and we wouldn't even survive the group stage. But now we already thought that we could expect the World Cup from them. Wasn't that too cocky?

Last night also gave a big consolation for all English supporters: Also we Germans suffer a major curse in football -- obviously it's absolutely impossible for us to defeat Italy at a tournament. We might have always been a "tournament team" -- but Italy is our big weak spot.

And there's also a big consolation for all Australian supporters: Now you are not alone with that crappy feeling that you've lost in the very last minutes. It's maybe the most terrible feeling in football, maybe exactly as bad as (or even worse than) losing in the penalty shoot out.

Let me add: Now, I'll support the French team since it showed the most surprising and impressing performance at this tournament. But I very much fear, too, that they'll suffer the fate of the German team: That the "big surprises" will be defeated by the "big experienced". Italy vs. Portugal would certainly be the final I never dreamed of. But it's not too late yet. Come on, les bleus! Give me at least a little bit of consolation today!

I must say... the Italian team is really good.... I felt that the Italian team was more dominant throughout the whole game.... and WOW..... With only 2 min left in the over time, and then 2 goals... .That's crazy...

BUT HONESTLY... Germany did AWESOME~ For a German team to go past the round of 16, then the 8, and then into the Semi fINALS..... It is a rare opportunity to get that far....

SO GO GERMANY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ And just DO WELL in the 3rd place match~~~~~~~~~ You still got one more chance~~~

NEWHO.... I think France will beat Portugual............. I dunno why but I think they can do it....

as I said before..

the history repeating:

1970 Brasil-Italy

-

-

1982 Italy-Germany

-

-

1994 Brasil-Italy

-

-

2006 :rolleyes:

anyway I think this time Italy has the perfect team..

Buffon makes miracles, 10 players reached the goal: Pirlo, Iaquinta, Gilardino, Materazzi, Inzaghi, Totti, Zambrotta, 2 Toni, Grosso and Del Piero!

this what they call a team.. nothing to do with Brasil!

tut mir leid Deutschland.

In German we say "Es hat nicht sollen sein" - which is loosely translated: "It shouldn't have been"

Congratulations to Italy - I hope the final helps a little bit to save the Italian football...

In English there is a similar saying in "It wasn't meant to be"

I think with two more years of competitive games because of Euro qualifying Germany will be a really dangerous team. They were the youngest team in the final 8 and the second youngest after Ghana in the final 16. There was a visible difference in Mertesackers and Metzelders play over the course of the tournement and hopefully both will continue to improve in their positions. Being 22 and 26 respectively they are still not in the highlight of their careers. The midfield is also in good hands with Kelh, Schweinsteiger, Borowski and Odonkor being 26, 22, 26 and 22 respectively. And than there is Podolski. Hopefully Germany continues to improve and hopefully there are plenty of good German players in the system and a few of them are goalies since I don't think either Kahn or Lehmann will be around in two years time.

Germany was the odd-man out in the final four because Portugal, France and Italy all had really experienced teams with a bit of youth. I am sure in four years time all three with be in the same rebuilding and reorganizing stage Germany is in now and even then they will be competitive.

Cesce, Rei and any other Italians I hope you enjoyed the game and you should be really proud of the performance your team has put on. If Portugal joins you in the final Forza Italia, if its France sorry but Vive la France.

A wonderful and exciting match last night!! A well deserved thank-you to both teams for making it such an exciting match to watch and keeping us all on the edge of our seats to the very end! B)

Well done and congratulations to Italy for getting the upper hand in the dying minutes of the game and scoring not one,but two superb goals! Best of luck in the final!!

Commiserations but also congratulations to Germany for providing us with such entertaining football and going out with a bang,and not a whimper! I felt it could have gone either way towards the end but unfortunately for you,it was Italy that got the break and took full advantage.It was not to be for you in the end,but the German team and manager can all hold their head up with pride at what they achieved in this tournament! The very best of luck in next Saturday's third place play-off!!

Both in your style of football playing and in the support of your fans and,not least, in your organistion of this tournament,all Germans have acquitted themselves magnificently!!! :)

Oh, what a brilliant end after the disappointing episode of Tuesday -- the German team proved tonight that the semi-final against Italy maybe really was only an episode, even for the future.

And I just realised: We are now the Vice Vice World Champions! :D:D:D

Thank you, boys! Thanks for giving us so much joy during the past four weeks! Those were unforgettable weeks for us!

The hosts have gone out on a thoroughly deserved high. As I said earlier, the German team have brought a huge amount to the tournament. They have exceeded all expectations and showed the future is hugely positive.

I hope that in two years time there is a rematch between Italy and Germany. Things might end differently.

Olympiad - I am interested to hear your opinions on Marcell Jansen. I found him to be impressive in this game.

I hope that in two years time there is a rematch between Italy and Germany. Things might end differently.

I hope so, too. Maybe both teams will meet again in the nearest future, i.e. already before the Euro 2008. But of course: It would be a lot more exciting if the match would be during a tournament -- and we could snatch away a title from the Italians.

Olympiad - I am interested to hear your opinions on Marcell Jansen. I found him to be impressive in this game.

That's true, he showed a good performance, just like the whole defence. It's impressing what this so-called "B team" achieved against the Portuguese "A team". I remember very well the previous match between both teams, during the group stage of the Euro 2000 in the Netherlands and Belgium. Back then, the German "A team" lost 0-3 against the Portuguese "B team" -- so you see how much the German football has improved meanwhile: Now we're even able to beat the Portuguese clearly when we have our "B team" on the field.

Oops -- sorry for that little graphic mistake.

That's true, he showed a good performance, just like the whole defence. It's impressing what this so-called "B team" achieved against the Portuguese "A team". I remember very well the previous match between both teams, during the group stage of the Euro 2000 in the Netherlands and Belgium. Back then, the German "A team" lost 0-3 against the Portuguese "B team" -- so you see how much the German football has improved meanwhile: Now we're even able to beat the Portuguese clearly when we have our "B team" on the field.

Oops -- sorry for that little graphic mistake.

Another question, In South Africa Ballack and Frings will be 34, do you see them coming back or do you think the Euro is the end for them?

Archived