Official Results And Standings Thread

Actually Dave my original comment wasn't meant for you, but for Mainad. However, and it's my own fault, I let my mind wander cos of a phone call and got the wrong man. Mainad, my comment still stands, and Mainad give us your thoughts...

Oh dear,sorry if I have upset you.I was just taking your original comment about Germany staying the course and agreeing with it as I 've always expected them to reach the final and they seem to be getting better with every match!

Then I just began thinking out loud about who the other likely finalist will be and I honestly expect it to be Brazil,despite my obvious wish for England.

Sorry if I sound unpatriotic and I didn't mean to take your comments out of context.I just got carried away with my thoughts!

I'll be the first one to cheer if I'm proved wrong,believe me.And I'll be quite happy to eat Humble Pie!! (Will you be able to bake one for me just in case?) ;)

In the meantime,best of luck to the lads today.Co

In the meantime,best of luck to the lads today.Co

Whoops,I meant to finish my previous post with,"COME ON ENGLAND"!! :)

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG! France were amazing! Is this the same team that only scraped through in a match against Togo in the 54th minute to survive the group stages? And now they've just knocked out the World Champions!

Well done France (from a slightly envious Briton ;) )!!!

Oh well, we know the Champions will be European.

OMG! France were amazing! Is this the same team that only scraped through in a match against Togo in the 54th minute to survive the group stages? And now they've just knocked out the World Champions!

Well done France (from a slightly envious Briton ;) )!!!

Oh well, we know the Champions will be European.

I am now officially impressed with your premature liking of Rubery. He has been playing amazingly.

I am so happy France ousted Brazil

What a highly-emotional football day!

First of all, I feel very sorry for the English team. Maybe the red card for Rooney was deserved -- but it was just another dramatic setback before the ultimate drama. I'm disappointed that the curse that England won't win a penalty shoot out still can't be broken. And I'm also disappointed that the Portuguese team is rewarded for its ugly football fight against the Netherlands with becoming one of the four best football teams in the world. In terms of the England vs. Portugal match, this was certainly not the day for justice.

Contrary to that, the French victory over Brazil was absolutely deserved -- and, of course, also absolutely surprising. I was stunned how the French team has improved its performance from match to match. I never believed that this team of many old 1998 World Champions would ever get so far. But they showed impressingly that nobody should write them off.

And Brazil? -- It got the deserved punishment for their appallingly defensive style and its absolute lack of the famous football magic. This team certainly was never in the shape of defending its title as World Champion -- I just didn't want to recognise that they wouldn't be able to surpass their performance. And it wasn't even half as good as they themselves always suggested before the tournament. I won't forget how Carlos Alberto Parreira said in an interview in German television in April or May, "My guys will become World Champions anyway" -- in a very arrogant and self-evident tone. Now we see that premature boasting is a big, big mistake...

wow i cant believe brazil lost, i never seen the game but france must have played awesome! But i think that it will be a italy v portugal final

Since Spain'82 there haven't been total European semifinals! ;) France has surprised me, I thought they wouldn't pass to the round of 16!

I expect a final Germany vs. Portugal with a German victory.

I hoping fer A French Win !

Well, there's a surprise <_<

I'm hoping a for a Germany win. They're the side I respect the most of the four left, and actually, I've warmed to Germany during the last few weeks of watching the World Cup - the rivalry seems much friendler between our two nations now. I know many Germans were hoping England won their games so we could meet in the final, and I felt the same abut Jurgen's men.

I don't want the divers, the divers, or...errr the divers to win. So it has to be Germany.

Well, there's a surprise <_<

I'm hoping a for a Germany win. They're the side I respect the most of the four left, and actually, I've warmed to Germany during the last few weeks of watching the World Cup - the rivalry seems much friendler between our two nations now. I know many Germans were hoping England won their games so we could meet in the final, and I felt the same abut Jurgen's men.

I don't want the divers, the divers, or...errr the divers to win. So it has to be Germany.

France hasn't been that bad, Henry maybe but overall the French haven't been terrible in comparison to Italy or Portugal or Robben.

Go Germany

To Olympiad2004, CAF and goethe enjoy the game and goethe I hope your predicition again does not come true.

Hopefully this game can live up to the billing.

germany-flag.gif

Germany 0-2 Italy aet

Superb game, and harsh on Germany to lose in that manner. They've brought a huge amount to this tournament and their time will come. Still, my money's still alive. Come on Italy!

Good on Italy, they fought well and deserved to win, both teams did its just Italy took their chances when they did. The officiating was suspect at times but overall good. It was the match of the tournement.

The referee was with Germany, although Italy deserved to win <_<

Both teams were excellent this evening - It was the best game of the tournament so far. Italy are usually the team I love to hate, but this evening there was very little of the diving and faking injury that they often use - I think they played brilliantly and hope they play like that more often (there's no need for all the pretending). I thought the referee was the best so far too, he let them play instead of the constant stops for fouls and cards.

Sad for the Germans, but they should be proud of themselves - Germany has provided a magical World Cup both on and off the pitch!

First of all: Congratulazioni, Italia! They had very tough times against our team but after all celebrated a deserved victory. This time the new German fitness didn't carry long enough to save the 0-0 for the penalty shoot out. The Italians absolutely took their chances -- and I can't blame them for that.

I can tell you: I died thrice this evening (at the least). It was still very hot (we had 33 °C today here in North Rhine-Westphalia) and my poor heart had to deliver its hardest work in my life. 120 minutes of absolute horror -- and then without reward.

But I'm really not bitter. Our team has delivered a magnificent performance today and at the previous matches -- a performance almost nobody in Germany seriously expected just a few months ago. They made us dream. And in a way, this dream is not completely over yet. We still have one match to go -- and with a third place we could still leave this tournament with our heads high and a very respectable result.

And even if we should lose against Portugal or France next Saturday: We are one of the four best football teams in the world. This time, this rank is absolutely deserved -- since we had much more difficult opponents in this final round than four years ago. So even now, that we have lost our title as Vice World Champion, we'll leave this World Cup with an actually better result than in 2002.

Thanks for all the support from this forum and from all over the world for our team. I very much hope that you all will still root for us next Saturday.

Archived