Official Results And Standings Thread

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its funny looking at the final 8 and seeing Ukraine with 7 of the top ten nations in the world. The only ones missing I would say are Czech Republic, Netherlands and Spain.

i wouldn't trust so much FIFA ranking

thats not from fifa rankings have Brazil, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Mexico, USA, Spain, Portugal, France, Argentina and England as the top ten with Italy at 13 and Germany at 19.

The top ten would probably be Brazil, Spain, Germany, Argentina, England, Portugal, Netherlands, Italy, France and Czech Republic or Mexico.

It amazes me how people wonder why there is little or no trust in the FIFA rankings. Some of the teams in the top ten rest the case against them.

They are planning on releasing a new set of rankings come July 11thish, instead of taking 8 years into account, it will take 4, and there will be different weightings.

They are planning on releasing a new set of rankings come July 11thish, instead of taking 8 years into account, it will take 4, and there will be different weightings.

Any idea what these weightings will be and how they are going to make it better...?

The full comment Aragones utterred to Henry's Arsenal teammate Jose Antonio Reyes was, translated from Spanish as Aragones stood and watched in front of a dribbling Reyes, "Give it to the black [referring of course to Henry]. Show that piece of s*** that you're better than he is!" In his press conference during the immediate fallout, Aragones said that he has black friends. That's very nice Luis, but I like to remind him that you don't have to be openly anti-minority to act racist (even if it's subtle). Additionally, just because Luis may have friends who are of color doesn't mean he is totally cured of racism. He should've either resigned or fired after that. Does he realize that Spain inevitably will black players on the national team in the near future? If it did anything good, it should make the Spanish media appreciate Javier "Some of you [journalists] should never have even been born" Clemente more. He was way more entertaining.

As far as the game, it would've nice to see Henry score a goal in it just to stick it to Aragones. Spain once again underachieve, but then again, expectations were low for them this time around. Which ironically meant a huge advantage for them. I enjoy Spain's Red Fury, but Aragones turned me off. Apparently, we did not get Henry indicting--or better yet cussing him out--Aragones as nobody would've blamed him for afterward. Henry wanted to take the high road, especially with the Nike Football Stand Up, Speak Up anti-racism campaign with his fellow Nike football mates Ruud Van Nistelroy and Rio Ferdinand. Great to see Zidane score a goal. Maybe Spain can do greater damage in Switzerland/Austria 2008.

Now we got what I picked to be the World Cup title game in Berlin thanks to Les Bleues finishing behind Switzerland in Group H. Just going to be earlier than expected. Hope it'll be thrilling.

I don't take stock much in the FIFA World Rankings for men's international teams.

The full comment Aragones utterred to Henry's Arsenal teammate Jose Antonio Reyes was, translated from Spanish as Aragones stood and watched in front of a dribbling Reyes, "Give it to the black [referring of course to Henry]. Show that piece of s*** that you're better than he is!" In his press conference during the immediate fallout, Aragones said that he has black friends. That's very nice Luis, but I like to remind him that you don't have to be openly anti-minority to act racist (even if it's subtle). Additionally, just because Luis may have friends who are of color doesn't mean he is totally cured of racism. He should've either resigned or fired after that. Does he realize that Spain inevitably will black players on the national team in the near future? If it did anything good, it should make the Spanish media appreciate Javier "Some of you [journalists] should never have even been born" Clemente more. He was way more entertaining.

That must have been the reason one of the officials had to go over and ask him to sit down - it's no surprise the Spanish game has a reputation for intolerance when the national coach advertises opinions like that.

Terrible first half, the possession stat is so over-inflated because of Argentina passing the ball around in their own half for a minute at a time.

To be fair to Argentina (for one time only), Germany spent most of the first half keeping all of their eleven in their own half which made it difficult for Argentina to find any room to attack. The game only lifted once Argentina scored and Germany were forced to attack to stay in with a chance and this spread player across the pitch.

It was difficult to separate the teams, both were good enough to win.

Really glad Germany won though - Olympian2004 had to really suffer which was also a small bonus! :P - well done to him and Germany.

Oh my God -- Stu is absolutely correct: I had to suffer a lot... I already saw that match lost by the Germans until Klose scored that unbelievable and pretty surprising goal (his first goal with the head since three years!).

But during the penalty shoot out, I was comparatively relaxed -- since I knew that with Lehmann, we had an excellent penalty killer in the goal and that the penalty shoot out statistics were on our side.

Nevertheless, I'm feeling very sorry for the Argentinians who absolutely dominated the first half and also large parts of the second. But once again (like against the Netherlands), they were too weak in using their scoring opportunities.

Thus it was a very lucky victory for Germany. And since it was a penalty shoot out victory, I can't claim that it was deserved (no penalty shoot out victory can really be called deserved).

I'm incredibly happy that our dream of becoming World Champion is not over yet. But it will still be a very tough way to go. Our team exposed many weaknesses, especially in the first half. That could give our future opponent(s) quite helpful insights.

Penalty shoot-out victories are the sweetest victories. Losing them is most sauer thing that can happen to a team.

I didn't see the first half unfortunately but I had the impression that Argentina had everything under control in the second half until Pekerman started acting like a coward. I seriously think that Brazil is the only team capable of stopping this "nightmare" ;)

What really? Pekerman quit? Already, good god...

Anyway, I am wishing I came on here last night and gave my predictions cos at work I predicted a week ago that Germ any would beat Argentina 4-2 on penalties... Stupid me...

I am just hoping that the rest of predictions come true:

England v Portugal = 2 - 1

Brazil v France = 1 - 2

Italy v Ukraine = 2 -1

Please let me be right...

He's already quit - the game only finished an hour ago!

Italy 1-0 up.

He probably would have been fired anyway.

I wished our glorious leader would have had the same guts. Instead he said he didn't made any mistakes and gave himself a 7 out of 10 :huh:

He probably would have been fired anyway.

I wished our glorious leader would have had the same guts. Instead he said he didn't made any mistakes and gave himself a 7 out of 10 :huh:

It's too easy to say that though. However, I do agree wth your sentiment, cos we lambast Sven constantly for doing the same thing as it is not the 'English way'. He has still got a certain amount of result that way though. I do still think that he will have to have a more attacking way than normal for the next game against Portugal. As for Pekerman, even though there have been problems in the past with Argentina, the English pundits were just stunned with his decisions and almost upset with it all. Strange, but tue....

Pekerman is one of the best managers in the tournement and I am shocked that he quit, though I think he will find a job in Chile or Bolivia or Colombia in the future.

Pekerman is one of the best managers in the tournement and I am shocked that he quit, though I think he will find a job in Chile or Bolivia or Colombia in the future.

Probably, he will find a good team that really needs a good manager. That will probably be a Spanish speaking side, but he still cocked up big time taking Riquelme off... He sat back to defend, which is not what Argentina wanted to do, so he will get roasted in Argentina. In Italy he would have been fine for defending... It's just wierd for the team he was coaching, that's all!

Pekerman did a great job with Argentina... I don't think that will be good for the team that he resigned.

Anyway... Chile won't hire him... the "leaders" of our football are so stupid that they prefer to hire a mediocre chilean coach than a real one. Besides, when he coached Colo-Colo some years ago, he was fired and I don't think he has too much feelings for us.

Archived