Official Results And Standings Thread

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't even have to watch TV to know if Portugal won I just listen outside to hear the honking and yelling, their a loud bunch lol. Then I know Portugal won.

Tell me about it _ I live a few blocks away from a heavily Portuguese district!

I think that must be the dirtiest match I've seen so far! A record 16 yellow and 4 red cards issued with both Portugal and Netherlands reduced to 9 men each by the end of the match!

That said,I think Portugal thoroughly deserved their 1-0 victory and held onto to it valiantly despite losing two players.They were definitely the better side!!

Now England know who they will be up against in next Saturday's quarter-final in Gelsenkirchen!!

i agree the Portugal v Netherlands match was disgusting

Well, I thought it was quite entertaining. Sure, it was dirty, but at least it was eventful unlike many other games.

The English can thank us, Portugal might have qualified but they will have big problems replacing Deco and possibly Cristiano Ronaldo. When the boy was in tears (as usual) I couldn't help laughing. I just wished Portugal had someone like Boulahrouz to teach Robben he has to stop diving and start playing football.

You got that right Quintana on all accounts. The intensity was what made it interesting. Portugal (what is their team nickname?) will be undertalented when they face England. Hopefully Arjen Robben will grow up some and play mature football.

I must disagree with you... it was probably the most entertaining match of the WC. Of course, it was the dirtiest in the Cup and probably as dirty as the Battle of Santiago or the Battle of Bern. But, finally the teams showed passion!!!! They were so exciting to win that they could beat the other players, simulate, forget the fair play, etc, etc. I wanted Holland to draw and then go to penalties and Portugal winning there and that would be much more exciting...

Finally, some blood and passion at the WC after boring matches like England/Paraguay, England/Trinidad, England/Ecuador... and anything of England :P

After the Australian catastrophe now also the Swiss catastrophe -- not a single penalty scored by the Swiss team. My God, what a day! For me, it was absolutely frustrating.

Nevertheless, congratulations to the Ukraine for qualifying for the quarterfinals -- that's a remarkable feat for their first World Cup appearance.

But for Switzerland I feel very sorry. They would have deserved a better result as motivation for the European Championships 2008 in their own country.

The Swiss deserved nothing. They played boring, boring football and didn't even try to score in that game. I'm glad Ukraine are through as they at least tried (if unsuccessfully) to get a goal. Terrible for the neutral.

Hoping for two entertaining games tomorrow - Ghana have played some great stuff and Brazil are getting into gear, and France v Spain will be a heated encounter I'm sure.

Tomorrow...

Brazil 3-1 Ghana

Spain 2-1 France :D

I suppose we'll win but anything can happens (Netherlands-Portugal has been an example) ;)

PS. I wanted both Italy and Ukraine to pass, although the Italians didn't deserve it.

The Swiss deserved nothing. They played boring, boring football and didn't even try to score in that game. I'm glad Ukraine are through as they at least tried (if unsuccessfully) to get a goal. Terrible for the neutral.

That's not true. Switzerland had two more shots than Ukraine (12-10) -- and both teams had to deal with an extremely tight defence on their respective opponent's side. You simply can't say that the Swiss didn't try to score.

Finally, some blood and passion at the WC after boring matches like England/Paraguay, England/Trinidad, England/Ecuador... and anything of England :P

Well at least England don't have the reward for most boring game of the tournament anymore - the Swiss and Ukrainians seemed content for 120 minutes to remain at 0-0, even when the penalties started it seemed that none of them were going to go in!!!!

This was two teams afraid to take the ball into the opponents half - this can be a good strategy when you're 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go but not for the whole period of the game and extra time as well.

It's difficult to find interesting things about the Swiss anyway, tonight they've done nothing to contradict that stereotype!

The Australia/Italy game was at least well contested, and although I hoped for an Australian win, they weren't the only team with an unlucky refereeing decision - Italy were unlucky to have Materazzi sent off and that changed the whole way the match was played by them - so perhaps they were destined to win anyway (unfortunately).

I think that Italy will have an easy path to the semi-final against Ukraine now!

I can't tell who deserved it more because I fell asleep. That must have been the most boring game of football in living history... Although I didn't manage to see the entire I game I think it's save to say that both didn't deserve to win. The worst thing is that Italy - Ukraine will probably as boring as this one...

Ger-Arg 1:5

I think the German team must have a very, very bad day (and the Argentinian team a very, very good day) before such a result becomes reality.

I expect a very tight match with a narrow result. My prediction is 1-0 for Germany.

For Switzerland's Nati making it to the second round was the goal for them, albeit ending in heartbreaking fashion. Their ultimate plan is to do real damage as co-hosts for EURO 2008 with Austria. This is a young squad that has been invested in for a decade and succeeding in the junior ranks like in ice hockey with the likes of Johan Djerjou, Philippe Senderos, Alexander Frei, and Johan Verlathan. They'll improve by then.

Congratulations to the Ukraine on their victory last night. I'm so happy for them that they've qualified to the next round. I was at a Turkish restaurant watching the game and we were all rooting like crazy for them to win. When they won the penalty shoots out, the restuarant erupted in applause and loud cheers. It was as if our own team had one. There was just no way any Turk was going to be cheering for Switzerland; especially after the whole drama that occured in Istanbul back in October. I'm pleased that the Swiss are now packing their bags and are leaving the competion. All the best to the Ukraine. I'd really like to see them go all the way but knowing that they'll be facing Italy next, their celebrations and high hopes may soon come to an end, although I hope not. B)

Congratulations to the Ukraine on their victory last night. I'm so happy for them that they've qualified to the next round. I was at a Turkish restaurant watching the game and we were all rooting like crazy for them to win. When they won the penalty shoots out, the restuarant erupted in applause and loud cheers. It was as if our own team had one. There was just no way any Turk was going to be cheering for Switzerland; especially after the whole drama that occured in Istanbul back in October. I'm pleased that the Swiss are now packing their bags and are leaving the competion. All the best to the Ukraine. I'd really like to see them go all the way but knowing that they'll be facing Italy next, their celebrations and high hopes may soon come to an end, although I hope not. B)

OK, and you wanted to tell me recently that you had already overcome the relegation matches against Switzerland? Tell it again, kid.

this si another prove that anyone in here hates Italy (ref. to the other topic)

What are you talking about? Turkish Guy didn't mention Italy with a single word!

I mean, he didn't mention Italy in a negative sense.

If that had been Turkey going through on goal-difference you wouldn't be complaining, and Turkey was on the happy side of goal-difference at the last world cup. there was no drama, Switzerland had the better goal-difference/away goals, this is the way ties are decided if things are even. Deal with it and stop acting like a great evil has happened against you. Its the way things are.

Those idiots at the Dutch FA want to extent Van Basten's contract till 2010 :wacko:

That tactical inept morron is a disgrace to the country and should be eliminated right away. I don't care how important he (or his buttbuddy Cruijff for that matter) has been for Dutch football, he's single handedly destroying everything Dutch football took 40 years to build in a matter of weeks :angry:

Those idiots at the Dutch FA want to extent Van Basten's contract till 2010 :wacko:

That tactical inept morron is a disgrace to the country and should be eliminated right away. I don't care how important he (or his buttbuddy Cruijff for that matter) has been for Dutch football, he's single handedly destroying everything Dutch football took 40 years to build in a matter of weeks :angry:

I still don't understand why Van B-stard didn't play Ruud Van Neistelroy - what is with that? Talk about ruining the guy's career!

Just you wait. Our national coach Berti Vogts also remained in office after the disgraceful 0-3 loss against Croatia in the 1998 World Cup quarterfinal. But the public criticism became so strong that Vogts finally quit his job only three months later after a embarrassing 1-2 against Malta and a not much better 1-1 against Romania.

Archived