Official Results And Standings Thread

I just can't get convinved re: Switzerland. Ukraine have not shown their true form, and I'd like to see them pick up their game in this round. I have a feeling they might treat us to some classic Soviet style football.

Germany vs Argentina. Hmmm. With this offensive Germany, I think this may be the best game of the tournament. And personally, I feel that the winner of this game may very well be the winner of our world cup 2006.

Switzerland has a better overall team whereas Ukraine is one-dimensional in Schevchanko, who is another overrated footballer with a long name like Ibraheimivich.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry if this upsets our English friends here: But I still have the opinion that England hasn't shown a world-champion-like performance at this World Cup so far. If they don't optimise their play, they will get into even bigger trouble against Portugal or the Netherlands in the quarterfinal than today against Ecuador.

well - that was a great free kick by Beckham - but the other 89 minutes of the match were not fulfilling my expectations...

England - Ecuador 1:0

Yes,pause for thought for those who think Becks is not up to it anymore!

England definitely dominated this match from start to finish against a very weak and lack-lustre Ecuador,but they failed to press home their advantage often enough.They should have finished at least 3-0 rather than just 1-0! They have improved but are still far from playing to their full potential. Now that they can expect to meet much tougher opposition from hereon in,they will need to start playing to their maximum potential!

Anyway,job done!.Roll on Netherlands or Portugal!! :)

Sorry if this upsets our English friends here: But I still have the opinion that England hasn't shown a world-champion-like performance at this World Cup so far. If they don't optimise their play, they will get into even bigger trouble against Portugal or the Netherlands in the quarterfinal than today against Ecuador.

Upset us ? LOL

That would only be the case if it came from somebody who's opinion was valued. You have shown your points of view many times to be reactionary and biased, so I really am not bothered by anything you say.

By the way, I agree with you.....even though you have hidden agendas. Strange how you always have a view when it comes to England. Some people might think you had issues? I'm not saying anything.

To everyone else, Yeah it was a fair performance but we must improve much more in order to win the Cup. However, it's not the 1st time we've seen a team make a slow start and still reach the finals...Germany did something similar in Japan didn't they?

Let's hope as the competition get stronger, England can show their full potential.

Yes,pause for thought for those who think Becks is not up to it anymore!

England definitely dominated this match from start to finish against a very weak and lack-lustre Ecuador,but they failed to press home their advantage often enough.They should have finished at least 3-0 rather than just 1-0! They have improved but are still far from playing to their full potential. Now that they can expect to meet much tougher opposition from hereon in,they will need to start playing to their maximum potential!

Anyway,job done!.Roll on Netherlands or Portugal!! :)

You are right: job done

but I was a little bit "shocked" that the world-famous engl. strickers hadn't been able to score a goal in 90 min. - without this free kick England might have been defeated by Ecuador...

Upset us ? LOL

That would only be the case if it came from somebody who's opinion was valued. You have shown your points of view many times to be reactionary and biased, so I really am not bothered by anything you say.

By the way, I agree with you.....even though you have hidden agendas. Strange how you always have a view when it comes to England. Some people might think you had issues? I'm not saying anything.

To everyone else, Yeah it was a fair performance but we must improve much more in order to win the Cup. However, it's not the 1st time we've seen a team make a slow start and still reach the finals...Germany did something similar in Japan didn't they?

Let's hope as the competition get stronger, England can show their full potential.

First of all: Everyone is biassed here. As long as our own teams take part in this World Cup, such a bias is absolutely natural. For example: How often have I read here during the group stage that the German team is (allegedly) not strong enough for winning the cup. But that doesn't mean that I or anyone else in this forum drags the other teams through the mud. And I very much hope that my posts never created such an impression.

Secondly: I have also said something about other teams, for example the Italians or the Dutch who (IMO) haven't performed very champion-like so far either. So I don't know why you reproach me with a special bias against England.

Finally I have to repeat the question I asked several times before and which has never been answered by you so far: I still have the sensation that you have something against me -- and I still don't know why. Before the beginning of the World Cup you reproached me that "most of the posts" I made were aggressive, annoying or whatever -- although no one has ever complained about my writing style and although I always try to be one of the peaceful and fair forum members. So please tell me the reason for your reproaches. Otherwise, I won't lose the feeling that you are the one who behaves aggressively towards other users -- without any obvious reason.

One of the things that I get most annoyed about on these boards are people that do not offer an open mind.

It is quite clear for people to see when someone is willing to participate in open debate, or just wants to score points based on their own prejudices.

I can see straight through a post when the author is doing nothing more than spreading their own prejudices.

I saw the same thing in a few Spanish posters when they chose to dominate the London 2012 boards during the IOC vote and didn't post anything in their own Madrid 2012 section. This screams to me that they would rather try to ridicule and criticise than support their own favourite.

You will see from my posts that I often criticise but I equally offer congraulations and support when a good point is made or a good job is done. ie. I have offered praise many times for Germany in the superb running of this competition so far. However, every post I have read of yours seems to want to try to criticise and point fingers. It is for this reason that I view your point of view as worthless and can't offer you the time of day.

And I think I don't have to explain what "bigger trouble" means...

No you don't!

And I can only hope that one day you will not...have to explain!! :unsure:

One of the things that I get most annoyed about on these boards are people that do not offer an open mind.

It is quite clear for people to see when someone is willing to participate in open debate, or just wants to score points based on their own prejudices.

I can see straight through a post when the author is doing nothing more than spreading their exisiting prejudice. I saw the same thing in a few Spanish posters when they chose to dominate the London 2012 boards during the IOC vote and didn't post anything in their own Madrid 2012 section. This screams to me that they would rather try to ridicule and criticise than support their own oinion.

You will see from my posts that I often criticise but I equally offer congraulations and support when a good point or good job is done. ie. I have offered praise many times for Germany in the superb running of this competition so far. However, every post I have read of yours seems to want to try to criticise and pick fault in everyone but yourself. It is for this reason that I view your point of view as worthless and won't offer you the time of day.

That's absolutely not true! I very much have the impressions that you only read the posts you want to read and don't care at all about the others. Additionally, I even have the impression that you read messages into them that are simply not existing.

For example: How often have I praised the organisation of the Turin 2006 Games? How often have I defended Athens against unfounded criticism? Just yesterday I stressed in the "hooliganism" thread that the trouble with the German and English hooligans in Stuttgart are no big deal in the German media -- and I did this to defuse the debate and defend the great majority of English supporters who behave very peacefully at this World Cup against unjust criticism and generalisations. I congratulated Australia for their advance to the round of 16. I praised the US team for their brave performance against Italy and their enormous fighting spirit. And I said that I was glad that England and Germany wouldn't meet each other in the round of 16 so that none of those two great teams would have to leave the tournament so early (see my post in this thread of June 20, 10:19 pm). I even admitted that we Germans will be in a funk next Friday when we have to face the tough Argentinian team. And those are only a few examples.

Thus, I can't confirm your reproaches. Or to be more precise: They are not simply reproaches but prejudices. And thus you of all people show exactly the unfair behaviour you are reproaching me with.

You are right: job done

but I was a little bit "shocked" that the world-famous engl. strickers hadn't been able to score a goal in 90 min. - without this free kick England might have been defeated by Ecuador...

You may be right if the game had gone down to penalty shootouts! But at no time during the match did Ecuador look like a serious threat to England.They were surprisingly weak and England clearly dominated both halves with about,in my estimate,70-80% possession of the ball.Lampard,Rooney and Gerrard had quite a few shots at goal but couldn't quite get there but I agree,they can and should have done better and converted a few more goals for us!

As I said,England played better and got the result we needed but they have not yet produced a world-cup winning performance and I can only hope that the tougher matches that now lie ahead will now force them to play to their proper potential. Put simply,they will NEED to do so to entertain any hope of progressing further!!

I agree - it's a stressful business being an England fan this year! England seem to be doing just enough to get by in each round - if one was to see all these results before the tournament without seeing any of the games, topping Group B, not losing to Sweden, I'm sure we'd all be happy - it's just that the play hasn't been extremely attractive yet, although each game seems to look a little better each time. There were so many excellent chances and the players were in the right positions to make a real impact - it was just the finishing touches that were missing - I think it's possibly a confidence thing because the quality is certainly there. Can they recover this missing confidence in time to play Portugal/Holland? maybe, maybe not, but reaching the last eight they've already justified their seeded status and have done enough to increase the likelihood to be seeded in South Africa too - anything from here onwards will be a huge bonus. I'd love England to reach the semi-final against Brazil.

Ecuador have been one of the surprises of this tournament (together with Trinidad and Tobago) and of course England were playing a full strength Ecuadorian team, unlike Germany in their final group stage who played them with five of their best players on the bench, at home, in a match where both teams had already qualified.

1 - 0 to Portugal but they are down to ten men!!! :o

Can Portugal survive against the Dutch Olympic Diving Team?

Viva Portugal!! I was cheering for them more and more as the game wore on!! Valiant Portuguys!!

But I don't find the World Cup matches exciting enough. How about 4 teams playing all at once -- and the field is square -- with one goal in each side? I think that would be terribly exciting!!

Four yellow-red cards...

Twelve yellow cars...

:huh::o:huh:

PORTUGAL - NETHERLANDS 1:0

That match was INTENSE! Oh man, I'm really glad Portugal won it though. I'm real bummed about Deco and Costinha not being able to play in the england match though.

Oh my, oh my...

First of all: The victory of the Portuguese team was absolutely deserved. I always hoped that the Dutch could surpass their performance compared to the group stage. But sadly, that wasn't the case. Even the temporarily superior number of players on the field didn't help the Dutch. So it's obvious that Portugal was the better team. Congratulations to Portugal.

But those fouls -- once again I have to express my hope that we'll never see such fouls again during the rest of this tournament. That spoiled the atmosphere of this (in other respects) highly attractive and exciting match.

I think that must be the dirtiest match I've seen so far! A record 16 yellow and 4 red cards issued with both Portugal and Netherlands reduced to 9 men each by the end of the match!

That said,I think Portugal thoroughly deserved their 1-0 victory and held onto to it valiantly despite losing two players.They were definitely the better side!!

Now England know who they will be up against in next Saturday's quarter-final in Gelsenkirchen!!

I'm glad Portugal won too, I find playing for cards ugly and the Dutch were obviously doing that more than the Portuguese this evening. I really loved the match though!

I'm sure Portugal will still be a match for England even without COSTINHA and DECO and possibly FIGO (once FIFA has had a look at his headbutt) and Cristiano RONALDO (depending what's wrong with his leg) and five other players with yellow cards - so don't rest on your laurels England!

FIFA statistics state that there were only 25 fouls during the whole match and yet there were 20 cards given to the players!!! :o

Oh well, I'm sure that the Italy vs Australia match tomorrow will be a nice, clean, sedate.........not!

I didn't see the matched, so I can not really comment on the game but the lose of Deco is huge for the Portugese.

Congratulations to the English on a job finished

Quintana - sorry about your teams lose, I was really hoping they would win, I even broke out my Dutch jersey today, but .... oh well, South Africa could be your year with the young and talented team you have. And don't be hard on Van Basten I think its great that Netherlands and Germany took this route with managers instead of the old fossils other teams insist on hiring.

Archived