Official Results And Standings Thread

I don't think Fifa will choose Graham Poll (the English referee) for the World Cup final after such an error as three yellow cards for the same person. :P

(.....and don't tell the others but I don't really think that England will make the final either)

That I agree with and have said elsewhere, but I didn't understand your meaning...

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That I agree with and have said elsewhere, but I didn't understand your meaning...

Sorry - I never check my posts - I'm sure most of them make no sense at all!

:D

This WC just took a drastic turn to the sh!tter for me.

It's pretty obvious why. The Italians advanced and we all know your an Italian hater. Not that hard to figure out and your other teams didn't advance.

Anyways, I was really impressed by both Brazil and Australia in their matches. Italy played a good games against the Czechs, they knew they had to win or draw to advance and a win would knock out the Czechs, why not qualify and knock out a highly ranked team.

Predictions for this group:

Brazil vs. Ghana

Winner: Brazil

Italy vs. Australia

Winner: Italy

I thought Dutch referees were poor these days but if Graham Poll is the best England has to offer... He should have given Australia three instead of one penalty kick, Kewell's 2-2 was scored from an offside position and than he topped it all with a new rule: 3 yellows makes one red :)

I thought Dutch referees were poor these days but if Graham Poll is the best England has to offer... He should have given Australia three instead of one penalty kick, Kewell's 2-2 was scored from an offside position and than he topped it all with a new rule: 3 yellows makes one red :)

I totally agree, Quintana - that was a bad performance by the referee

by the way here are some wonderful fan-images of 2006:

1150554276_fcsu.jpg

1150274803_prnb.jpg

1150274588_fre4.jpg

1150274806_7txi.jpg

1150274816_9rz9.jpg

1150480719_ikes.jpg

1150554325_guf5.jpg

YOU CAN'T IMAGINE HOW WONDERFUL THE ATHMOSPHERE IS IN GERMANY RIGHT NOW - IT IS SOOOOOO EXCITING!!!!!

Those are great pics CAF! I love the one of the Dutchmen at the trough!

I'm so glad Germany is getting a taste of the excitement that comes from holding a big world carnival event.

And Thierry Henry's goal confirms it just a few minutes later!

Switzerland and France are both through to Round Two!!

Wow..... i'm so sad..... I was like..... Go Togo! and then the French scores twice on them.... so I was like, ok it's over for them.... back to the Channel Korea vs Swiss

And wow.......... that was even more sad........ and why did that second goal count? I'm still puzzled, cuz I thought the main referee dude acknowledged the mismanagement of the other referee who screwed up by raising the offside flag and then changing his mind.... The ESPN dudes were like That is not a good call....

And ALSO..... The main referee dude got in the way of the ball at one point... he like blocked the pass... wtfudge?

Also, it's a shame there was no penalty kick offered when Patrick Mueller (SWISS) handled the ball.... wutever.... oh well....

I SAY GIVE THE RED CARD to the referees~ they LOVE giving out ridiculous yellow cards for minor stuff.....

They're only doing what they're being told to by the stupid FIFA directives, unfortunately. I'd like to see the referees showing some common sense, but if they do that, they probably won't get any more games.

So the last sixteen is finally confirmed

Germany v Sweden

Argentina v Mexico

Italy v Australia

Switzerland v Ukraine

England v Ecuador

Portugal v Holland

Brazil v Ghana

Spain v France

Three absolutely mouth-watering ties, but all of them have their own fascinations.

My pix...which may not be the same as technically who will win:

Germany v Sweden = Sweden

Argentina v Mexico = Mexico

Italy v Australia = split

Switzerland v Ukraine = the Ukes

England v Ecuador = I guess the Brits

Portugal v Holland = the Dutch

Brazil v Ghana = I hope Ghana

Spain v France = Spain

Pity about Korea _ I so wanted an Asian team to make it through. I guess this means this is NOT the WC where every confederation has at least one team that advances (Australia is here this time as Oceania _ it won't represent Asia at the WC till the 2010 tournament).

Pity about Korea _ I so wanted an Asian team to make it through. I guess this means this is NOT the WC where every confederation has at least one team that advances (Australia is here this time as Oceania _ it won't represent Asia at the WC till the 2010 tournament).

Well -- of course it would be perfect for a World Cup if all confederations were still represented in the final round. But nevertheless: The Asian teams had their fair chance of reaching the round of 16, just like every other team. They just didn't take that chance. And we mustn't forget: The Asian teams had at least qualified for the World Cup -- and that's an important achievement, too.

Or to say it more precisely: After all, the Asian teams actually took part in this World Cup. So we can't state that this was no real World Cup: They were there. But sadly, they weren't able to make their stay to last a little longer.

Which is the one seed that did not go thru -- because I think 7 of those are the top seeds, right?

All eight seeds made it through to the last 16.....

Brazil

Germany

Italy

England

Argentina

Mexico

Spain

France

...not all can reach the last eight though because Mexico have to play Argentina and France will play Spain.

Italy has the easiest route to the Semi-finals

15f4wes.jpg

Brazil don't have it so bad either, I think Germany and Argentina have the most difficult road to the final.

Italy has the easiest route to the Semi-finals

15f4wes.jpg

Damn! That will be a rock-hard final round for Germany. First the Swedes -- who actually should be a manageable opponent. But then (if they are victorious in the round of 16) the Argentinians will most probably wait for the Germans in the quarterfinal. What a blast! If Germany should achieve a miracle and defeat also that awe-inspiring team, the most likely opponent for the semi-final would be Italy of all teams -- the team which defeated Germany 4-1 only four months ago.

Thus it will be a very, very, very tough way for Germany to the finale in Berlin. The most important hurdle would be Argentina in the quarterfinal -- if the German boys manage to confine them, everything is possible.

That will be an absolutely nail-biting week for all German supporters (and if we're lucky, there'll be another exciting week to follow)... :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Archived