Official Results And Standings Thread

Another question, In South Africa Ballack and Frings will be 34, do you see them coming back or do you think the Euro is the end for them?

I would say so. But on the other hand, Jens Lehmann with his 36 years has proven that the "golden years" might be yet to come in the life of a sportsman.

But remembering the embarrassing performances Lothar Matthäus "achieved" during his last years as national player, I'm not too sure whether it's possible for a field player to reach his peak even with 34.

That's why it was so absolutely bitter for Michael Ballack that he has never played in a World Cup final and was denied this opportunity also this time -- probably the last opportunity in his career.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would say so. But on the other hand, Jens Lehmann with his 36 years has proven that the "golden years" might be yet to come in the life of a sportsman.

But remembering the embarrassing performances Lothar Matthäus "achieved" during his last years as national player, I'm not too sure whether it's possible for a field player to reach his peak even with 34.

That's why it was so absolutely bitter for Michael Ballack that he has never played in a World Cup final and was denied this opportunity also this time -- probably the last opportunity in his career.

Zidane and Thuran are both 34 and playing well. I would really think it depends on what happens at the European Championships. If Germany wins it which is absolutely possible with this team plus 2 years than they may not have the desire to continue like Figo, Zidane and Thuran after 2004 and the fact France wasn't playing well in qualification.

Goalkeepers usually can play at toplevel for a lot longer than "normal" players. Quite a lot of them don't even reach their peak till their mid thirties whereas most fieldplayers are done once they reach age 33/34. Zidane is playing great at the moment but he hardly showed anything for his team Madrid these last 2 seasons.

Archived