Official Results And Standings Thread

There are a total of fifteen World Cup wins among the eight quarter-finalists (only Uruguay are missing).

GERMANY - ARGENTINA

ITALY -UKRAINE

ENGLAND - PORTUGAL

BRAZIL - FRANCE

:D

Spain must be a bit pissed off that the team they beat 4-0 have reached the Quarter-finals when they haven't. All the groups have one representative and the only seeds not to qualify are Mexico and Spain.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three cheers for both France and Spain in what was a close,hard fought match almost right up until the end!

But three boos for Thierry Henry who took a disgraceful dive about five minutes from the end and fooled the ref into giving France a free kick!

This immediately led to France's second goal.A cynical piece of pure play-acting from Henry that nevertheless got France through to the quarter-finals! Zidane's third goal was the clincher over a now demoralised Spanish team!

Commiserations to Spain and well done to France! :)

But the "Diver of the Match" award goes to Thierry Henry for most shameless impersonation of a fouled player,while "Sucker of the Match"goes to the gullible referee for being completely taken in by it! :angry:

I don't see a CONCACAF country there.

I am not sure what he meant here as well but it could be that he was talking about the group stages and those that got through to the second round. In that respect, I guess the only ones not represented were the Asian sides...

To Cobi and Mikel - unfortunately that France hits their stride as they face Spain. Ferrnado Torres was a class player and hopefully he can lead Spain to some much needed footballing glory in the coming years.

To Cobi and Mikel - unfortunately that France hits their stride as they face Spain. Ferrnado Torres was a class player and hopefully he can lead Spain to some much needed footballing glory in the coming years.

Well said Faster, I feel the same way, but my supporting of France will probably not be overlooked! Eeeek!

What a boring world cup...not this ESP-FRA was a decent game....! :(

BTW...did you notice that almost anyone is making goals with the "contropiede" (donnow how to translate it, sorry)? Brazil and France did it too!

Do you mean 'trickery of the foot'? It was thought that the French penalty wasn't really one, but there you go...

I donnow what you mean with that...

I mean when everyone of the opposite team is on attack, you take (steal) the ball and run almost alone till the opposite side of the field and then goal!

Is that what not 'football' is all about? I'm confused cos I was thought you were talking about something more specific... Not that I am disagreeing with you!

I donnow what you mean with that...

I mean when everyone of the opposite team is on attack, you take (steal) the ball and run almost alone till the opposite side of the field and then goal!

I think you are refering to a break-away.

He means counter-attack - there were a few examples of it today.

break-away is taking the ball and running with it to a goal

counter-attack is when you are being attacked, the ball is coughed up and you attack in force

Are you OK JACA2014, you must be devastated...? Take heart, you have a great you ng team who can go places in the future...

Spain deserved to lost, but not in that way, and France didn't deserve to win, and less in the way they won (the last goal was unfair, were they laughing at us? :angry: ). After the first goal, Spain get relaxed and then came the French goal (that can be counted as an own goal from Spain)...

Afterwards we can take a positive message from this WC: there is a team, a young team that can make great things if they want.

:(

Archived