Official Results And Standings Thread

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Phew! I'm so glad that Argentina is on Germany's side of the draw and not England's.

Saturday.

Germany - Sweden

Argentina - Mexico

Sunday.

England - Ecuador

Portugal - Netherlands

Why that? Argentina impressed me today just as little as the Netherlands. This match was almost disgraceful, for both teams. The high expectations of this match were absolutely thwarted.

If Argentina plays that way against Germany in the quarterfinals (God willing), we haven't got to fear too much of this team.

Why that? Argentina impressed me today just as little as the Netherlands. This match was almost disgraceful, for both teams. The high expectations of this match were absolutely thwarted.

If Argentina plays that way against Germany in the quarterfinals (God willing), we haven't got to fear too much of this team.

They were resting their best players and still looked extremely threatening - they are the team that has undoubtedly appeared the strongest in the whole of the Group stage - that said, I hope Germany beat them!

I don't like the flamboyant diving coupled with a glance towards the referee - rolling around in agony until the referee's decision has been made and then a sudden miraculous recovery as if nothing had happened - this is a feature of Argentina's play more than anyone other than Italy.

I think Argentina and the Netherlands were just coasting today.Both knew they had qualified and were content to finish with a draw.Neither played to their full potential.

In the second round they will have to come out all guns blazing as it will be a case of "win or die".It will be a whole different dynamic.The same goes for all the second round teams of course.From here on in,only wins will count!!

At least our defence looked pretty solid today. The rest was as crap as usual. The game against Portugal will be interesting. The Netherlands hasn't impressed me sofar, but neither has Portugal (or England and Ecuador for that matter).

And obviously Argentina won't play this way in the quarterfinals. It's more likely they will play like they did against SCG which will be too much for Germany (and most other teams for that matter).

They were resting their best players and still looked extremely threatening - they are the team that has undoubtedly appeared the strongest in the whole of the Group stage - that said, I hope Germany beat them!

I don't like the flamboyant diving coupled with a glance towards the referee - rolling around in agony until the referee's decision has been made and then a sudden miraculous recovery as if nothing had happened - this is a feature of Argentina's play more than anyone other than Italy.

Well, we should just wait how Argentina performs against Mexico this Saturday. I believe that the Argentinians will underestimate the Mexicans. And the Mexicans will have the advantage that they won't suffer from too heavy expectations. Of course, that's also my hope...

It would be terrible if Germany would have to leave the tournament already in the quarterfinals -- just like the much worse teams of 1994 and 1998.

But on the other hand, the statistics are a little bit more optimistic: The Germans haven't lost the last two matches against Argentina (in February and in June 2005) -- in both matches, they played a 2-2 draw. Now that Germany has showed the best performances of the past four years, I hope that they can still surpass that.

But however: First we have to win against Sweden. (Although that should actually be an easier task than winning against Argentina.)

Italy and Ghana move on.

Ghana vs. Brazil

Italy vs. Australia/Croatia

Italy had a decent game overall. Now they need to step their game up now that they made it into the Round of 16.

Surprised that the Czechs weren't able to score and tie up the game. Obviously that became harder once they received the Red card and were playing a man down.

FORZA!!!

The traffic here in Toronto is gonna be bad now with the Italians and Africans out in the streets celebrating their wins. Good Times!!

Italy had the #2 and #5 World Ranked teams in their group. Just tells you a lot about the credibility of those FIFA rankings.

Baron, my dear, please take note... Only kidding, I'm sorry that USA lost but am happy that Ghana have gone through. At least 1 African team should go through...

Czech Republic :( They were one of the better teams in the Cup... they should qualify... of course, when you have 9 Italians defending, neither Pavel Nedved, Pelé or Maradona had chances to score. Anyway, Ghana is a good team but I prefered the Czechs.

Good for Australia... I will wait to the night to see the match because here was broadcasted Brazil vs. Japan... finally Brazil presented a "good team" but still it isn't the team that we all are waiting for... And Ronaldo is now, with Gerd Müller, the player with more goals scored in the history of the World Cup.

Two brilliant games of football at the same time - my finger is sore from flicking between the two games!

For a short moment I was beginning to think that Japan may achieve the impossible and beat Brazil (foolish of me, I know). Despite looking like a sack of potatoes and missing quite a few chances, Ronaldo scored a brilliant second goal to become the second highest scoring person in World Cup history - I still think he's a liability for the Brazilians though and don't understand why they keep insisting on him playing. The game eventually showed more of what everyone expects of Brazil even though it was only for a few brief moments - they will only improve, I'm sure.

Three yellow cards for the same player!!! Perhaps England greatest hope of some involvement in the World Cup Final has gone with that error by the English referee. He had a really tough job though with two teams completely desperate to qualify. I'm happy for Australia (I could hear my Australian neighbours all the way through the match - in fact they were usually my cue to switch over - noisy neighbours!) it's good when there are surprises like Australia, Ghana and Ecuador in the World Cup. Croatia gave it their all and made it another exciting game.

Two brilliant games of football at the same time - my finger is sore from flicking between the two games!

For a short moment I was beginning to think that Japan may achieve the impossible and beat Brazil (foolish of me, I know). Despite looking like a sack of potatoes and missing quite a few chances, Ronaldo scored a brilliant second goal to become the second highest scoring person in World Cup history - I still think he's a liability for the Brazilians though and don't understand why they keep insisting on him playing. The game eventually showed more of what everyone expects of Brazil even though it was only for a few brief moments - they will only improve, I'm sure.

Three yellow cards for the same player!!! Perhaps England greatest hope of some involvement in the World Cup Final has gone with that error by the English referee. He had a really tough job though with two teams completely desperate to qualify. I'm happy for Australia (I could hear my Australian neighbours all the way through the match - in fact they were usually my cue to switch over - noisy neighbours!) it's good when there are surprises like Australia, Ghana and Ecuador in the World Cup. Croatia gave it their all and made it another exciting game.

Exactly suprises are what makes the world cup, exciting!

I hope your fingers are Ok my dear, we need you in tip top condition for the next round...

England greatest hope of some involvement in the World Cup Final has gone with that error by the English referee.

Why, what do you mean there?

Why, what do you mean there?

I don't think Fifa will choose Graham Poll (the English referee) for the World Cup final after such an error as three yellow cards for the same person. :P

(.....and don't tell the others but I don't really think that England will make the final either)

WHY?

Two of me teams just went out, and I only have three and the other one is heading right for Argentina. I am disappointed that I won't be able to see Croatia and USA in the next round, though at least this time Croatia went out with a bit more ease then last when all they had to do was get a point from Ecuador.

Oh well, Come on DEUTSCHLAND.

Archived