Official Results And Standings Thread

OK, now I can finally say (for the first time in this tournament): That was a champion-like performance. Congratulations, Czech Republic!

I'm very disappointed about the US team -- after their strong performance in 2002 (reaching the quarterfinals and there only narrowly losing against Germany) one could expect a little bit more. Once more, it becomes obvious that the FIFA World Rankings are absolutely flawed. Why does FIFA classify the Americans as the fifth-best team in the world???

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On that evidence, who knows? Czech Republic were impressive, but I couldn't say that was a trophy-winning performance, particularly after the injury to Koller. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be seeing any more of him this tournament.

The result against the United States is certainly a huge blow for the soccer fans in America......both of them!

The US team continue their search for their first win against European opposition in a World Cup - can they beat Italy or will they have to wait another four years? We'll see how Italy are playing in a few minutes.

They were very poor today. On that evidence, no way will they match their 2002 performance.

I pulled Australia in the office sweepstake today, so I'm happy with the result from Kaiserslautarn. Now, can Italy make a winning start?

The result against the United States is certainly a huge blow for the soccer fans in America......both of them!

The US team continue their search for their first win against European opposition in a World Cup - can they beat Italy or will they have to wait another four years? We'll see how Italy are playing in a few minutes.

If I am not mistaken the Americans beat Portugal 3-2 in Korea/Japan

coca-cola.jpg

We got spanked by the Czechs today.

A real reality check.

Although I tried to believe it , I just couldn't, that we are a top 10 team.

Somehow, I feel this may be France 98 all over again! :(

Hopefully Team USA will score more goals than they did in France. They just better hope for a tie against Italy, barring a monumental upset, which wouldn't be all that surprising given the Italian Serie A scandal rocking Italy. They just need to play more and more challenging teams. Don't give up the faith yet.

Well, what can I say. It's one of those days here that everyone is a bit sleepy (the match against Japan started at 11pm our time) but smiling. The type of day when it feels great to be an Aussie. And an historic day _ our first win ever in WC football, and what a win!

This watch the match we had to win if we were to have any chance in the tournament and to win any respect in the football world. And we did it!!!!!!!! I just hope we don't celebrate too hard now and go on with it against Croatia and, gasp, Brazil!

@CAF _ our footballs are usually oval-shaped _ which makes them even more unpredictable.

USA has problems playing in European Field, and Czech Republic and the other european countries have a great local advantage just for been european countrys.

Sorry for usa...

by the way

WTF? was doing bruce arena sitted on the bench like everything was cool, and OMG what happnd with landon donovan :S he was totally dissapeared from the field.

and OMG what happnd with landon donovan :S he was totally dissapeared from the field.

The Czechs shut him down. They scouted the US well and they executed; the US did not. I thought they were like deer caught in the headlights. Well, the way it's going - maybe Italy will face Brazil in the next round.

Well, what can I say. It's one of those days here that everyone is a bit sleepy (the match against Japan started at 11pm our time) but smiling. The type of day when it feels great to be an Aussie. And an historic day _ our first win ever in WC football, and what a win!

This watch the match we had to win if we were to have any chance in the tournament and to win any respect in the football world. And we did it!!!!!!!! I just hope we don't celebrate too hard now and go on with it against Croatia and, gasp, Brazil!

@CAF _ our footballs are usually oval-shaped _ which makes them even more unpredictable.

congratulations australia!

congratulations australia!

Thanks mate!

For the record as well, last night was the first win ever scored by an Oceania country at the WC (Even though we're now in the Asian Confederation, we still qualified for this one as an Oceania team). New Zealand beat Oz to first points though _ they got two goals against Scotland in Spain in 1982.

Now Australia is in Asia, I expect that last night's match will be the first in one of the future classic football rivalries _ Aust V Japan is set now to become a regular fixture.

Finally, good matches...

Australia, really cool... Japan, a prove that 2002 was just because they were locals... they have no chance to reach again the second round.

Czech Republic, the best team at the moment. USA was good but not enough to defeat the Czechs. Italy good and Ghana really impresive, they deserved to score at least in the first time. I think that probably the USA will be defeated by Ghana and they will finish in the last places of the World Cup, but I think that would be totally unfair. I don't see the USA or Ghana passing to the second round but probably they are better than others that will pass.

As an overall comment... I see the favourites playing just enough to win... Germany, England, Argentina and Netherlands prove that they are the best teams in the World Cup but just few minutes... then they dissapeared of the field. Only Czech Republic and Italy stayed all (or most of) the time playing good football.

Well... tomorrow it's the time for the hyperfavourite, Brazil.

As an overall comment... I see the favourites playing just enough to win... Germany, England, Argentina and Netherlands prove that they are the best teams in the World Cup but just few minutes... then they dissapeared of the field. Only Czech Republic and Italy stayed all (or most of) the time playing good football.

Well... tomorrow it's the time for the hyperfavourite, Brazil.

Italy and Czech Rep. are battling for first place, trying to avoid Brazil in the first knockout round of 16. You bet that they are going to play their asses off for top spot in their group.

Anyways, Italy and the Czech Rep. both had good games today. The Czech's were really impressive and dominant over the overrated American squad. Too bad their big man Koller seriously injured his right leg. Doesn't look like he'll return for the remaining group matches. Pirlo's goal for Italy was the best of the day. Ghana gave the Italians good competition and kept them on their game.

Totti wasn't seriously hurt and should be ready for Saturday's match against the Americans.

Forza Italia!!

Thanks mate!

For the record as well, last night was the first win ever scored by an Oceania country at the WC (Even though we're now in the Asian Confederation, we still qualified for this one as an Oceania team). New Zealand beat Oz to first points though _ they got two goals against Scotland in Spain in 1982.

Now Australia is in Asia, I expect that last night's match will be the first in one of the future classic football rivalries _ Aust V Japan is set now to become a regular fixture.

yea its definately brilliant for football down under in general! Many kiwis are getting in and supporting the aussies! GO AUSTRALIA!! :)

Great game for Australia. Brilliant return. Great for the sport in Australia.

Now I've followed all the games so far. The one team that has definately stood out has been the Czech Republic. Still early but that is textbook football. Just brilliant and I anticipate them to go far, if not all the way.. Definately the dark horse.

Just for fun, I bet $1 that Brazil would score no points in the group stage. At 785-1, I couldn't resist. Do you think I lost my buck?

Oh and by the way, one thing I noticed is what complete dominance Chelsea players are taking in the world cup. (And they say some things money can't buy.. Phhhhuufff)

Archived