Official Results And Standings Thread

Every additional match of this tournament shows: This could really become the World Cup of the "outsiders" once more. Iran is currently very dominant over Mexico, too. And I'm pretty surprised that of all "big teams", Germany has showed the most convincing performance so far (despite some defence flaws -- but it was the highest number of goals scored by a "big team" so far).

It may yet become a World Cup of outsiders but there has been little evidence of it so far. Those considered realistic challengers for the trophy have all won so far - Argentina, Holland, Germany and England. The only surprises have been those teams that were only really expected to reach the second round or quarters anyway - Poland being beaten by Ecuador and Sweden only managing a draw against Trinidad.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at Turkey, a huge surpise after finish second in the group stage.

A pleasant surprise is the match between Iran and Mexico, it has been far better then I could have imagined and so far one of the best games yet with the GER-CRC and ARG-CIV.

I do think heat plays a huge part too. The England and Holland games were played at 03.00 pm local time in temperatures easily reaching 30 degrees celsius. Teams from northern Europe aren't used to such temperatures, especially since it was only about 15 degrees celsius until 4 days ago in this part of Europe.

Mexico won 3-1 over Iran. It was a far better game then I thought it would be, hopefully so will the next one. I found it ironic that the two most controversial selections to the Mexican team combined for all three goals.

Mexico won 3-1 over Iran. It was a far better game then I thought it would be, hopefully so will the next one. I found it ironic that the two most controversial selections to the Mexican team combined for all three goals.

And what an atmosphere it was! The Mexican fans are really one of the most enthusiastic football audiences in the world.

But all in all, I'm stunned by the atmosphere at many of the matches we've seen so far. Sorry to say that -- but you hear the difference between a World Cup in football-loving Europe and a World Cup in rather football-distant Asia.

And what an atmosphere it was! The Mexican fans are really one of the most enthusiastic football audiences in the world.

But all in all, I'm stunned by the atmosphere at many of the matches we've seen so far. Sorry to say that -- but you hear the difference between a World Cup in football-loving Europe and a World Cup in rather football-distant Asia.

In South Korea they asked the locals to cheer for a certain team to create atmosphere :D

The atmosphere is different depending on the teams just like four years ago but I never remember hearing fans screaming the national anthem like they have for every nation nei Serbia. I loved the Mexican atmosphere and hopefully they can get some respect for CONCACAF football. I loved the teams enthusiasm during the anthem.

On another note I thought the Irans were a class act in presenting a flower arrangment to Sanchez for him and his family in memory of Sanchezs father's death. It was a wonderful gesture.

The atmosphere is different depending on the teams just like four years ago but I never remember hearing fans screaming the national anthem like they have for every nation nei Serbia. I loved the Mexican atmosphere and hopefully they can get some respect for CONCACAF football. I loved the teams enthusiasm during the anthem.

On another note I thought the Irans were a class act in presenting a flower arrangment to Sanchez for him and his family in memory of Sanchezs father's death. It was a wonderful gesture.

The Iranians are very friendly people indeed. I still remember how the Iranians played against the USA at the 1998 World Cup in France. The Iranians presented flower bouquets to the American players as a sign of goodwill. It was very moving. Keeping that in mind, it's hard to imagine that the Iranian leaders currently cause so much trouble.

In terms of Serbia: Serbia's national anthem is very unpopular among the fans since it's the old Yugoslavian anthem. Maybe they'll create a new one, now that Montenegro has split off.

The Iranians are very friendly people indeed. I still remember how the Iranians played against the USA at the 1998 World Cup in France. The Iranians presented flower bouquets to the American players as a sign of goodwill. It was very moving. Keeping that in mind, it's hard to imagine that the Iranian leaders currently cause so much trouble.

In terms of Serbia: Serbia's national anthem is very unpopular among the fans since it's the old Yugoslavian anthem. Maybe they'll create a new one, now that Montenegro has split off.

There is a Serbian national anthem.

Portugal only scored a 1-0 against Angola.

And still I'm waiting for a match after which I could say: "OK, we've seen the new World Champion".

That never happened in the last till Brazil's win over England.

I have to say I thought I was going to be disappointed today, but was surprised to see I was not.

great games so far!!!

after 3 days,i can see germany winning this and argentina too

netherlands,portugal and england are strong temas but i rate them under argentina and germany at the moment

mexico is a huge disapointement,they were lucky against a stronger than expected iran.

sweden is a great nation of football in my opinion,i can see them winning an uefa' s euro in the future but yerterday they were awfun!

Ok , My 2 cents on the Matches

Germany Vs Costa Rica - It was ok , a comfortable win for Germany , too boring

Poland Vs Equador - Shocking ! To think that how they play without Jerry D. , I see the Poles trap in the woods

England Vs Paraguay - England was lucky , and to think the captain scored the goal , Paraguay must hate him .

Sweden Vs Trindad - Poor Performance by the Swedish . Expected more .

Argentina Vs Ivory Coast - Argentina got away lucky with the elephants , thankfully .... No one cried for Argentina :lol:

Holland Vs Serbia - The Dutch win was expected , what more I can say .

Mexico Vs Iran - Mexico was great , its amazing how that goalkeeper can get over his father 's death so quickly .

Portugal Vs Angola - It was a dissapointing win for Portugal , I expected more goals . But hey !

Its ok considering Portugal usually lose on their opening matches , 2002 WC - USA 1 - 0 , Euro 2004 - Greece 2 -1 .

Tonight Mathches

Czech Rep. Vs USA - It will be a hard match , The czech have the style , The Americans have experience .

Prediction : 1-0 , 1-1 , 0-0

Italy Vs Ghana - Italy wins it all , Ghana is overated just becasue of Essien without him , they are S*** .

Prediction : 1-0 , 2-0 , 2-1

Japan Vs Australia - Japan 's Defence is strong but they might be in danger due to their heght , The oz have a weak defence and but looking stong at Midfield

Prediction : 2-0 , 3-1 , 1-1

Ok , My 2 cents on the Matches

Germany Vs Costa Rica - It was ok , a comfortable win for Germany , too boring

(...)

Czech Rep. Vs USA - It will be a hard match , The czech have the style , The Americans have experience .

Prediction : 1-0 , 1-1 , 0-0

Italy Vs Ghana - Italy wins it all , Ghana is overated just becasue of Essien without him , they are S*** .

Prediction : 1-0 , 2-0 , 2-1

Japan Vs Australia - Japan 's Defence is strong but they might be in danger due to their heght , The oz have a weak defence and but looking stong at Midfield

Prediction : 2-0 , 3-1 , 1-1

What do the three predictions per match mean?

And in terms of the Germany - Costa Rica match: It was everything but not boring. The Costa Ricans really put pressure on the Germans with their two goals and the Germans showed a lot of spirit. And six goals in an opening match -- that's unprecedented. This match could really have become a lot less exciting.

Wow -- that's incredible! I didn't know that so many Australian fans have travelled the long way to Germany for the World Cup. You should have witnessed how loudly the Australian anthem was sung just moments ago before at the Socceroos' match against Japan. It was even louder than at the opening ceremony of the Sydney 2000 Games!

With Japan leading 1-0 , hopefully they don't jump into the Rhine ....

poor aussies... if there is any soccer god they HAVE to score. the goal was irregular...:-(

poor aussies... if there is any soccer god they HAVE to score. the goal was irregular...:-(

YEAH!!! ahahaha - soccer god heard me :lol:

Australia 3 - 1 Japan

What a brilliant last 15 minutes for Australia - a very exciting match - the score looks a little cruel for Japan..... they played well too. But really happy for Australia, especially as the Japanese goal was a little suspicious.

Archived