Hong Kong Equestrian Venue

Maybe Pui or one of the other Chinese posters could help me.

I was in Hong Kong last week and was wondering where the venue for the equestrian events was going to be. I noticed a stop on the MRT line between Kowloon and the airport called "Olympic" (or something like that) and the station was decorated with Olympic sports scenes. Is this the location?

I had no luck finding official Beijing 2008 gear. Everyone I asked had no idea. The only stuff I saw was the odd t-short with the old bid logo on it (which I have already). I was really surprised not to see the "Friendlies" for sale in any form. Oh well, hope the Beijing website puts gear up for sale soon.

Thanks. I always assumed it would be Happy Valley or Sha Tin, but then saw the station and wondered. Great pics. What about the Three Day Event cross-country course? Where will that be? Can't imagine either of the racecourses would have that sort of area needed nearby.

• 1 year later...

Hmmm. Looks like a bit of concern about the equestrian plans now:

HONG KONG, Aug 3 AFP/AAP - Soaring temperatures and humidity could force organisers to cancel next year's Olympic riding events in Hong Kong if the lives of horses were endangered, the competition's leading vet says.

Hong Kong is hosting the equestrian events for the Olympics next August and temperatures in the territory are often well above 30 degrees at that time of year, accompanied by stifling humidity.

``Extremes of weather could lead to the competition possibly being postponed, cancelled or modified,'' said Christopher Riggs, who is in charge of veterinary services at next year's showpiece.

``There is a very greatly increased risk of becoming heat exhausted. That can spiral out of control quite quickly and there is a possibility that it can even become fatal,'' he told reporters at Sha Tin racecourse, near the Olympic venue.

Riggs was talking ahead of a trial three-day event next week, when 17 international competitors will assess conditions to see if their horses can cope.

Organisers said they had made every effort to mitigate the effects of the heat and humidity.

This includes air conditioned stables, running competitions early in the morning and late at night, and special cooling stations around the courses.

Three contingency days have also been included in the competition's schedule.

The equestrian events were switched to Hong Kong because of fears of equine diseases and problems with quarantine regulations in Beijing.

Riggs, seconded from the Hong Kong Jockey Club (HKJC), said the very best veterinary service support would be available to all horses during their stay in Hong Kong.

``The Equine Clinic located in the main stabling area is equipped with superb diagnostic equipment.

``Each horse will be monitored closely, and its body temperature will be measured twice daily.

``All competitions have been scheduled for the morning or evening in order to minimise the effect of heat on the horses.''

HKJC Head of Racing Operations John Ridley said key consideration in all planning was to provide the very best equine accommodation, training and competition facilities for the horses.

``To provide a more comfortable environment, the Club has provided an air-conditioned indoor training arena,'' he said.

``This is the first-ever indoor Olympic equestrian training facility to be equipped with air conditioning.

``Cooling stations have also been installed in all training and competition venues, to enable the horses to cool down quickly after vigorous activity.

``In addition, all the new stables have both air conditioning to enhance ventilation and electric fans to give a breezing effect.''

AFP

I remember similar concerns being raised before Atlanta. The equestrain competition went on (with measures similar to what seems to be planned for HongKong) and nothing went wrong. Surely the FEI didn't overlook the issue when they agreed on the equestrian being held in HongKong...

Roltel, you may check the official website of the equestrian event at Hong Kong here:

http://www.equestrian2008.org/

You may also find this link at the bottom of the Beijing 2008 website.

The event will be held at the Hong Kong Sports Institute and Penfold Park (or better known as the Sha Tin Racecourse), loacted at Sha Tin, and the Hong Kong Jockey Club's Beas River Country Club, loacted at Sheung Shui.

The most famous racecourse at Happy Valley will not be used as the veune. One reason is that it is located at Hong Kong Island which seems to be too far away from the rest.

Hope this information be useful for you!

• 5 months later...

Well, it looks like the Swiss have become the first to make their point about their unhappiness with the HK venue:

GENEVA, Jan 9 AFP - The Swiss dressage team are to abstain from competing at this year's Beijing Olympics after raising fears for the well-being of their horses, the Swiss equestrian federation (FSSE) have announced.

Olympic organisers switched the event to Hong Kong over concerns of equine disease and quarantine complications on the mainland.

But due to the sweltering heat and humidity of the former British colony, which is 1,900 kilometres from the Chinese capital, the Swiss camp decided to withdraw from the competition believing the climate conditions could cause serious harm to the horses.

``The dressage horses are a lot more sensitive that the show jumping horses,'' explained chief of the Swiss dressage team Peter von Grebel, adding the climate in Hong Kong during the summer is 'very stormy and hot'.

World No.4 and the highest ranked Swiss rider, Silvia Ikle, was the first to decide not to take any risks with her equine companion, Salieri CH, after consulting various veterinarians who advised that ``the weather conditions (in Hong Kong) could be dangerous for the health of the horses''.

``The moment Silvia (Ikle) pulled out, I thought I should pull the whole team out,'' said von Grebel.

``It is not just the climate. It takes 11 hours to fly to Hong Kong, and it's a displacement of six weeks.

``The show jumping horses are used to travelling all around the world by plane and it's not that serious if they are a bit nervous.

``However if a dressage horse is nervous it cannot perform well.''

The decision by the Swiss contingency comes despite The Hong Kong Jockey Club, the territory's biggest taxpayer thanks to the city's gambling obsession, injection of some 800 million Hong Kong dollars ($A115 million) to upgrade the venues into world class facilities.