Istanbul awarded 2027 European Games moving Turkey one step closer to 2036 Olympics

GBModerator

It's kind of interesting that so far, these European Games have only taken place in Eastern Europe. I know the Netherlands was elected for an earlier edition, but then gave them up, citing the cost to stage them. 

While hosting these other, lesser-tier multi-sporting events sometimes have helped certain cities before win the Olympics later on, they're not always on the resume of Olympic host cities.  

1 hour ago, FYI said:

It's kind of interesting that so far, these European Games have only taken place in Eastern Europe. I know the Netherlands was elected for an earlier edition, but then gave them up, citing the cost to stage them. 

Don't forget this will be the first edition of the European Games which will count swimming and gymnastic events (The prior ones don't have), so in that sense these European Games will be now in real line with Pan Am and Asian Games. 

Still the main signal is how Madrid was rejected at first by the same board of the Games saying Istanbul was ready LOL. 

Another thing in favour of Istanbul in case of wanting the Olympics, maybe the political sphere has the common ground in reaching and keeping the Olympics regardless who wins in 2028 (Erdogan's heir, if rumors about his frail health are true or the next opposition leader, which the mayor of Istanbul Ekrem Imamoglu is one of the two frontrunners).

I guess is a Mediterranean-Latin thing of chauvinist patriotic pride. Turkiye society has the need to stand in international arena (Regardless if they are moderate liberal westernized turks or more religious muslims) and that's why they are fighting to have these events (Something like Italians, French or Spaniards). This is also common in some Latin american countries like Brazil or Argentina. 

Tbf I would say Istanbul probably is more ready than Madrid now, simply because the athletics stadium is there. I can't see Atleti being ok with leaving home for at least a season just for the European Games. What are they planning on doing to the Ataturk Stadium for Euro 32, will it keep its track? As for 2036, I wonder if Bach has dropped hints to the European Games committee & Istanbul is now the favourite... rather them than Doha or Riyadh, or Ahmedabad tbh. We've just seen that there is some democracy still alive there, plus Istanbul is one of the world's great historic cities however bad the traffic gets. Plus it's Europe so allows the IOC to keep the 12-year rhythm, clearing the way for India (hopefully with a better city than Ahmedabad) 2040 which I'm sure Bach would still want. 

• Thanks 1

I've said it many times before in the past, that if the IOC wanted to go to the Muslim world, that Istanbul was always the best option, as being the most secular & cosmopolitan city than any of the other cities in the Middle East (I've always likened Istanbul as the San Francisco of Eurasia - a beautiful large city surrounded by water, with all it's bridges, hills & cable cars). But even then, that was at time when the IOC was different than what it is today.

And yes, it would certainly be a much better option than Qatar, Saudi Arabia & even India, especially Ahmedabad. They don't even have all the hotel capacity that is required for an Olympics, & still may not even by 2036. But there's a couple of big thorns here, & the first one is Qatar. Every time ITG's mentions anything about them lately, they claim that Doha is the "clear favorite". Why is that? What inside scoop do they possibly have to make that kind of declaration? It's clear that Bach is very chummy with the royal family over there, & that Qatar has been wanting the Olympics for quite some time now & they weren't thrilled whatsoever how 2032 was handled & have already decried that they're not going to be upended once again. So how would Bach & Co. shake them off yet again? 

Then there's India. And yes, Ahmedabad does not inspire at all, especially if it means India's first Olympic Games. But it's Modi's home town basically (much like Coates with Brisbane), & Bach, once again, is very hands on over there too. With some of them already visiting Lausaunne, much like how Queensland officials went there as early as 2019 before Brisbane was even a "preferred bidder". Those are already facts that are hard to ignore ATM. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if some closed-door deals have already been made, & Bach & Co. are just waiting for the more appropriate time to actually announce them.

8 minutes ago, FYI said:

Every time ITG's mentions anything about them lately, they claim that Doha is the "clear favorite". Why is that? What inside scoop do they possibly have to make that kind of declaration?

I really don’t give any credence that comes out of ITG these days. If it was the old crew - Duncan Mackay, Philip Barker and co - I’d certainly listen to what they said. But the current bots they’re using can’t even copy and paste coherently.

• Like 2

And also, there's the recent inclusion of Cricket into the Olympics. Basically the only sport most Indians are good at. Would certainly be a boost to their medal tally at a home Games & it's recent add-on to the Olympic roster has to be more than just pure coincidence. Plus, I'm sure Bach & Co. wouldn't mind at all tapping into that 1.4 billion Indian market.  

1 minute ago, Sir Rols said:

I really don’t give any credence that comes out of ITG these days. If it was the old crew - Duncan Mackay, Philip Barker and co - I’d certainly listen to what they said. But the current bots they’re using can’t even copy and paste coherently.

I would've agreed to that as recent as last month. But after you posted that steaming article that you did a couple of weeks, it makes me wonder now. Regardless, I'd still would like more clarity into why they claim that. If it's something that could be easily dismissed, or does it have even an inkling of reliance.

43 minutes ago, FYI said:

I would've agreed to that as recent as last month. But after you posted that steaming article that you did a couple of weeks, it makes me wonder now. Regardless, I'd still would like more clarity into why they claim that. If it's something that could be easily dismissed, or does it have even an inkling of reliance.

Likely got paid for writing it, that’s all.

3 hours ago, FYI said:

I've said it many times before in the past, that if the IOC wanted to go to the Muslim world, that Istanbul was always the best option, as being the most secular & cosmopolitan city than any of the other cities in the Middle East (I've always likened Istanbul as the San Francisco of Eurasia - a beautiful large city surrounded by water, with all it's bridges, hills & cable cars). But even then, that was at time when the IOC was different than what it is today.

And yes, it would certainly be a much better option than Qatar, Saudi Arabia & even India, especially Ahmedabad. They don't even have all the hotel capacity that is required for an Olympics, & still may not even by 2036. But there's a couple of big thorns here, & the first one is Qatar. Every time ITG's mentions anything about them lately, they claim that Doha is the "clear favorite". Why is that? What inside scoop do they possibly have to make that kind of declaration? It's clear that Bach is very chummy with the royal family over there, & that Qatar has been wanting the Olympics for quite some time now & they weren't thrilled whatsoever how 2032 was handled & have already decried that they're not going to be upended once again. So how would Bach & Co. shake them off yet again? 

Then there's India. And yes, Ahmedabad does not inspire at all, especially if it means India's first Olympic Games. But it's Modi's home town basically (much like Coates with Brisbane), & Bach, once again, is very hands on over there too. With some of them already visiting Lausaunne, much like how Queensland officials went there as early as 2019 before Brisbane was even a "preferred bidder". Those are already facts that are hard to ignore ATM. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if some closed-door deals have already been made, & Bach & Co. are just waiting for the more appropriate time to actually announce them.

I won't be surprised if there's another double deal per Istanbul-Ahmedabad. Bach will have the best of both bids and keep the deals without hesitation. 

Now, per ITG and Doha, I wouldn't bet on them. They were so stubborn with Stockholm 2026, or Asuncion 2027 Pan Ams. Also, let's not forget they changed of owners and have other interests. 

47 minutes ago, Roger87 said:

If you include Istanbul as a whole geographic entity (aka no Bosphorus), it's currently the largest European urban agglomeration. 

And that is what has earned it the ranking of "the least livable major city in Europe". 

49 minutes ago, Roger87 said:

And continues to grow...

And that continued growth is also unsustainable, unless officials there ante-up their urban planning, & sooner rather than later.

On 4/2/2024 at 6:21 PM, Roger87 said:

Let's see if this mean big push for the Olympic bid with this and the Euro 2032. 

No joke, Europe AND Turkey need Turkey to land 2032.  They need each other.  The Super Lig is a travesty right now

On 4/3/2024 at 2:28 AM, Roger87 said:

Another thing in favour of Istanbul in case of wanting the Olympics, maybe the political sphere has the common ground in reaching and keeping the Olympics regardless who wins in 2028 (Erdogan's heir, if rumors about his frail health are true or the next opposition leader, which the mayor of Istanbul Ekrem Imamoglu is one of the two frontrunners).

I guess is a Mediterranean-Latin thing of chauvinist patriotic pride. Turkiye society has the need to stand in international arena (Regardless if they are moderate liberal westernized turks or more religious muslims) and that's why they are fighting to have these events (Something like Italians, French or Spaniards). This is also common in some Latin american countries like Brazil or Argentina. 

Also agree that this is a manner of pride for the Turkish people.  They are wanting the spectacle the same way the Russians wanted it in the 2010 era.  They've never had it and it seems to be a universal "want", which is a rare thing these days even with the summer olympics.  Turkey checks that box.  No need to worry about popularity with them.

That's always been the case with the countries that have never had the Olympics before, though, so I wouldn't say the "want" is a rare thing with countries like that, especially with the Summer Olympics. That was also the case with China for 2008, Brazil for 2016 & even Greece for 2004. It was a massive sense of national pride for them. The same can apply now to India & Indonesia, etc.

Whereas countries that have hosted many times already, like the U.S., Australia & even France (where in Paris this year), the Olympics are viewed more with a "been there, done that" attitude. Although, we'll see how much that non-chalant attitude in Paris will transform into excitement once the Games there get underway, since it'll literally have been a complete century since the Olympics were last held in the City of Lights. 

11 hours ago, FYI said:

Although, we'll see how much that non-chalant attitude in Paris will transform into excitement once the Games there get underway, since it'll literally have been a complete century since the Olympics were last held in the City of Lights. 

We can see that. The French are prickle but like Latins, they have that chauvinist ego. During the Olympics, the national pride will be up even if later they return with their common pessimism like just a week before the opening. That happened similar to last year's Rugby World Cup (And that was a more recent event comparing Olympics).