Dublin 2036 Final Round Poll - 17th Annual GamesBids Logo Comp

Dublin 2036 Final Round Poll - 17th Annual GamesBids Logo Comp   

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo should win the Dublin 2036 Logo Comp?

53471471200_7d23624d4c_b.jpg

Alexa, we've done the south twice, we've been north, we're going east, so now play me a song of the west:

Noooo, not the Sheeran! :angry:

That's more like it! :) The real sound of the streets (and the pubs) in the busking capital of Europe - welcome to Galway!

1920px-Galway-Pub-12-Sonny_Molloy's-gje.

It's also one of the wettest places in Europe, but with shelters like Sonny Molloy's, who cares? We're here to drink dance vote, because we've gone all the way to the one-on-one finale. Here's how we voted up in Stroke City:

A: 5. B: 4. C: 4.

Oh dear. This is a tie at the bottom, which means I have to make a decision - which is the last thing being in charge is supposed to be about. Still, as I don't have a John Coates available to make my decisions for me, I need to turn voter - and I have decided to cast my decisive vote in favour of C over B. With apologies to @corn_zxl, If it's any consolation I try to avoid having to do this but I'm afraid I had to knock someone out as the rules say - you've still had an amazing debut :). Talking about rules, here are the final round RULES:

This voting round will be open for (approximately) 48 hours - it will close at 10pm UK time, Saturday January 20.

Voting will now be conducted in rounds until one entry has an absolute majority and is declared the winner. As there are only two left, that must happen in this round.

Again, it's the final round with only two candidates, so whoever gets more votes wins it all. As I explain below, if they're level, I reserve the casting vote.

Vote in the poll for your favourite logo. You have ONE vote, so make it count.

Your vote is public and can be seen by all.

Entrants MAY NOT vote for their own logo. For transparency, I will not vote unless required to break a tie.

Votes are valid if cast by members of GamesBids as of January 1 2024 with a bona fide posting record.

I will rule on the validity of any suspicious or disputed votes, or who constitutes a bona fide voting member. 

I will not vote in this, or any subsequent rounds. However, if a tie-breaker vote is needed, I will reserve my right to vote in order to break it. 

Be fair and sportsmanlike, this is meant to be fun and the entrants all deserve RESPECT.

We will gather one last time on Saturday night in Dublin's fair city, to crown the champion. Until then, good luck! :) 

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 2

Thanks Yoshi.

I always dreaded to have to do the tiebreak, it’s something you want to avoid. But that’s the hard part of the job - it’s not all fun and lining up entertainment acts you like (Oh, that’s right… Ed Sheeran??? Sack Alexa Yoshi and go with your gut).

Sorry to see you go @corn_zxl. You’ve really made quite an impression in your debut season. Really, really hope you’re a regular now. Remember, the comp is always back each December.

And that was sure a nail biter of a third round! With last minute drama to boot! And what a come from behind story - Round 3’s C (this round’s b) was so close to dropping out after the second round, only saved by another last minute vote. Best of Irish Luck to our two remaining contestants!

To wrap up, enjoy the craic here at Sonny Molly’s, we’ve got a few more musical treats later on for our stay here. Try to promote, but DON’T SPAM.

Sonny, pint’s of Guinness to the house. Yoshi’s buying the first round!

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Just a question on the bottom tie breaker— is it subjective or was it based on accrued votes?

I can’t speak for Yoshi’s choice, but I know from experience it’s hard and not a position you want to be in or treat lightly. What I do always counsel him is that there is no right or wrong reasons for a decision to be made - it could all come down to a coin toss and you don’t have to justify. The whole comp is totally subjective, which is it’s beauty and ease, and also (if you’re a competitor) it’s curse.

Edited by Sir Rols

i just really like the idea of B being projected onto the stadium floor at the OC and the NBC announcers lifelessly reading off a screen that the logo takes inspiration from celtic knot design and symbolizes and athlete in celebration incorporating the olympic rings. and here come two dozen jigging school children driving the snakes out of ireland. the snakes symbolically represent the english occupation until 1900....

but i digress. this is just a winning concept from start to finish, no pun intended.

branding.jpg

• Like 2

Well, for me I like the feeling of movement in A - it feels the more “kinetic” of the two. I also like the subtle shamrock nod, and that as someone pointed out, it also suggests a musical key signature. Not to mention, one of the best fonts I’ve seen produced fr the comps. It’s been my favourite from the very beginning.

spacer.png

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Thanks 1

My first logo comp was in 2008 and this is entry number 17 for me.

To those who have voted for logo A Thank you and for those undecided your vote would mean more that you could ever know to me.

For 18 years this site has been a pert of my life and i still can't seem to give it up

VOTE for LOGO A

Thank You x

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, yoshi said:

53471471200_7d23624d4c_b.jpg

Alexa, we've done the south twice, we've been north, we're going east, so now play me a song of the west:

Noooo, not the Sheeran! :angry:

That's more like it! :) The real sound of the streets (and the pubs) in the busking capital of Europe - welcome to Galway!

1920px-Galway-Pub-12-Sonny_Molloy's-gje.

It's also one of the wettest places in Europe, but with shelters like Sonny Molloy's, who cares? We're here to drink dance vote, because we've gone all the way to the one-on-one finale. Here's how we voted up in Stroke City:

A: 5. B: 4. C: 4.

Oh dear. This is a tie at the bottom, which means I have to make a decision - which is the last thing being in charge is supposed to be about. Still, as I don't have a John Coates available to make my decisions for me, I need to turn voter - and I have decided to cast my decisive vote in favour of C over B. With apologies to @corn_zxl, If it's any consolation I try to avoid having to do this but I'm afraid I had to knock someone out as the rules say - you've still had an amazing debut :). Talking about rules, here are the final round RULES:

This voting round will be open for (approximately) 48 hours - it will close at 10pm UK time, Saturday January 20.

Voting will now be conducted in rounds until one entry has an absolute majority and is declared the winner. As there are only two left, that must happen in this round.

Again, it's the final round with only two candidates, so whoever gets more votes wins it all. As I explain below, if they're level, I reserve the casting vote.

Vote in the poll for your favourite logo. You have ONE vote, so make it count.

Your vote is public and can be seen by all.

Entrants MAY NOT vote for their own logo. For transparency, I will not vote unless required to break a tie.

Votes are valid if cast by members of GamesBids as of January 1 2024 with a bona fide posting record.

I will rule on the validity of any suspicious or disputed votes, or who constitutes a bona fide voting member. 

I will not vote in this, or any subsequent rounds. However, if a tie-breaker vote is needed, I will reserve my right to vote in order to break it. 

Be fair and sportsmanlike, this is meant to be fun and the entrants all deserve RESPECT.

We will gather one last time on Saturday night in Dublin's fair city, to crown the champion. Until then, good luck! :) 

May the best win!! :D

• Like 1

I have a problem with the concept of Logo B: it uses the copyright-protected Olympic rings to create the Logo, pictograms and the branding... In my point of view it looks great, but opens pandoras box in the mean of protected Olympic symbols...

Logo A looks very colourful and there is movement in the image - the imagery reminds me on the rainbow which leads us to a pot of gold...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just saw from reading the previous thread that - somehow - Scotguy hasn't won a logo competition. Speaking as the winner of the Inaugural Gamesbids Logo Competition, that's actually unbefuckinglievable. :( 

Still...I'm going for B for all the reasons krow said, and seeing the additional material, banners etc makes me like it even more. Which is weird, because in general I've had a thing against the overdone athlete logos since Sydney 2000. But this one is such a neat, minimalist synthesis of the Olympics and Ireland.

9 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

I also like the subtle shamrock nod, and that as someone pointed out, it also suggests a musical key signature. Not to mention, one of the best fonts I’ve seen produced fr the comps.

The font is really well done, definitely. I think you mean a clef, not a key signature, just to put my pedantic musical hat on.

8 hours ago, Rob2012 said:

The font is really well done, definitely. I think you mean a clef, not a key signature, just to put my pedantic musical hat on.

Thanks Rob. Normally I’d look it up. Must have been one (or a dozen) Guinnesses too many

4 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

@yoshi Is it possible to award virtual Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals to the Gamesbids Logo winner and placegetters ?

As the custodian of the comp for so long, after Puppy and until taking a backseat to Yoshi, and having originated most of the rules (through trial, error and experience), the comp was always based on IOC host city elections and the 50%+1 victory condition. Not really analogous or applicable to Olympic g-s-b placings. The reward has aways been just to win, get in the winning presentation pic and onto the winners’ honour roll. In other words, bragging rights. I don’t think anyone’s ever been “happy” to come second.  

Also, I’m the keeper of what’s existing of the old records and original graphics, and particularly with the older comps, it would be impossible to determine who were the runners-up etc (though I do remember the placings were Davey-Rob-Scotguy… I think… in the Paris comp). We didn’t even have polls in the very early comps - all votes had to be hand posted and manually tallied.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1