Nice 2030 Final Round Poll - 17th Annual GamesBids Logo Comp

Nice 2030 Round 3 Poll - 17th Annual GamesBids Logo Comp  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo should win the Nice 2030 Logo Comp?

53449489918_70c5d5b7b0_b.jpg

Alexa, play me something connected to Paris 2024!

I say connected to Paris 2024, my French is not too great, especially when it comes to understanding a native speaker at full pelt - but I saw this during the New Year show, which they extremely nicely let foreigners watch (Merci!) and I think they said this was the official song of the Torch Relay for Paris. Any French members might be able to confirm/put me right. Anyway, welcome to Albertville!

1280px-Albertville_depuis_le_belv%C3%A9d

This is very much connected to the Olympics - Winter host city in 1992, it is (until May) the last place to see a French Olympic flame on French soil. For a bit longer, until 2030, it'll remain the last French city to host a Winter Olympics. Talking about 2030, let's see how the logo comp is going - the results from Grenoble are:

A: 7. B: 1. C: 5. D:1. 

Just like in Chamonix, we couldn't find a majority - although we came as close as it's possible to get - but we have two clear leaders, so we will say goodbye to @Scotguy II & @Victorian and move the final two to the final round. And for that final round, here are THE RULES:

This voting round will be open for (approximately) 48 hours - it will close at 10pm UK time, Tuesday January 9.

Voting will now be conducted in rounds until one entry has an absolute majority and is declared the winner. As there are only two left, that must happen in this round.

Again, it's the final round with only two candidates, so whoever gets more votes wins it all. As I explain below, if they're level, I reserve the casting vote.

Vote in the poll for your favourite logo. You have ONE vote, so make it count.

Your vote is public and can be seen by all.

Entrants MAY NOT vote for their own logo. For transparency, I will not vote unless required to break a tie.

Votes are valid if cast by members of GamesBids as of January 1 2024 with a bona fide posting record.

I will rule on the validity of any suspicious or disputed votes, or who constitutes a bona fide voting member. 

I will not vote in this, or any subsequent rounds. However, if a tie-breaker vote is needed, I will reserve my right to vote in order to break it. 

Be fair and sportsmanlike, this is meant to be fun and the entrants all deserve RESPECT.

Whatever happens, our next gathering on Tuesday will be the announcement in Nice itself, where the President awaits us. In the meantime, bonne chance! :) 

Edited by Sir Rols

Still haven’t found Brigitte, Yoshi?

Anyway, wow! Made it to the decider. Merci again all who voted for me. And sorry to see you go Scotty and Victorian - but we’ll face each other again in Ireland!

And what a debut season to you @corn_zxl! That’s some tough, worthy competition. Bonne Chance!

And also again, a reminder and request to promote this thread and get people voting. We’ve had a good response this year, let’s keep it going. But let’s not go overboard - we don’t want to badger and annoy people, and also, we don’t ALWAYS need to be on top of the Recent Activity list. It’s nice if we’re in the top five at all - and I’ve got a stack of French recording artists who I don’t think Yoshi’s signed up (I think he’s blowing our entertainment budget on the Irish leg of the journey).

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

• Sir Rols changed the title to Nice 2030 Final Round Poll - 17th Annual GamesBids Logo Comp

Well, seeing as I made the final, thought I might address a few comments and critiques made in the other rounds.

On 1/4/2024 at 11:25 AM, Olympian1010 said:

I really like option A as a throwback to the early Olympic posters. It probably wouldn’t work as a logo, but it’d be a great poster. I gave it a vote nonetheless.

On 1/4/2024 at 12:14 PM, krow said:

honestly, same.

I concur. Actually, I indeed started off by looking at old 1930s travel posters for inspiration. But they didn’t really spark my creative juices. I then thought of looking at France’s amazing art heritage, and particularly looked for an artist closely associated with Nice. I did think about going back and tweaking it - maybe change the shape and play with colour variants, but never got round to it. It’s a bit too late now to play with the shape, but it is designed to be able to utilise different colour schemes, which are fair game to demonstrate here:

spacer.png

On 1/4/2024 at 2:53 PM, Karenina said:

None of the logos really sing for me and my second epiphany of the day was that I wish someone had embraced the palette of Monet's Antibes paintings - the purples, blues, pinks and greens - as inspiration.  Alas, I'm not a graphic designer and that epiphany came to me after the deadline closed so I'll just have to hope that's the direction the actual logo goes toward.  ;)

When I hit on the idea of saluting French art heritage, I did indeed look at a range of artists, including Monet - everyone loves the Impressionists!. At the end of the day, however, I found trying to incorporate Monet’s, or any of the other Impressionist’s, works was beyond my graphics talents and software. I found Matisse’s abstract style was easier to incorporate, and felt he was more suited to use in a logo. Besides, Matisse was the artist with more connection to Nice than any other - he lived there for a long time. And Nice now hosts the Musee Matisse. I thought he was a fitting inspiration for a Nice logo.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

I did indeed look at a range of artists, including Monet - everyone loves the Impressionists!

Funnily enough, that wasn't the case in France at the start, at least critically, but overtime the modern art takes it's hold. It was the same thing in Brazil too with our nacionalistic Modernism of the early 1920s! 

Well, now about the comp, good luck y'all! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Still haven’t found Brigitte, Yoshi?

Anyway, wow! Made it to the decider. Merci again all who voted for me. And sorry to see you go Scotty and Victorian - but we’ll face each other again in Ireland!

And what a debut season to you @corn_zxl! That’s some tough, worthy competition. Bonne Chance!

And also again, a reminder and request to promote this thread and get people voting. We’ve had a good response this year, let’s keep it going. But let’s not go overboard - we don’t want to badger and annoy people, and also, we don’t ALWAYS need to be on top of the Recent Activity list. It’s nice if we’re in the top five at all - and I’ve got a stack of French recording artists who I don’t think Yoshi’s signed up (I think he’s blowing our entertainment budget on the Irish leg of the journey).

Honestly its rlly shocking but im super grateful!!

And im pretty sure you have the wing on this one, your logo looks so intricate and eye-catching :wub: 

• Like 1

Right just so everyone knows, neither of the two contenders has a problem with an extension due to the outage yesterday - apparently it was down for 10 hours so I'll add that on, plus a little bit to account for me not being able to be around for most of the morning. So the new deadline for votes is 12PM UK time, Wednesday January 10. So there's just a little under 24 hours to go now. Thank you for your patience :)

• Like 1

Right, I appreciate this will come across as a little bit chaotic, but at the request of both the competitors in this final round, being from Australia and the Philippines respectively, I am extending the voting time for the full 24 hours after the original deadline, so they can both see the announcement ceremony. As such the new deadline is 10PM UK time tomorrow, Wednesday January 10. The announcement will follow. Thank you again for your patience :)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, yoshi said:

Right, I appreciate this will come across as a little bit chaotic, but at the request of both the competitors in this final round, being from Australia and the Philippines respectively, I am extending the voting time for the full 24 hours after the original deadline, so they can both see the announcement ceremony. As such the new deadline is 10PM UK time tomorrow, Wednesday January 10. The announcement will follow. Thank you again for your patience :)

Thanks @yoshi