Vodafone Derby

The 227th running of the Classic takes place this afternoon with this field of 18 lining up

Atlantic Waves

Before You Go (doubtful because of the going)

Best Alibi

Championship Point

Dragon Dancer

Dylan Thomas

Hala Bek

Horatio Nelson

Linda's Lad

Mountain

Noodies Way

Papal Bull

Septimus

Sienna Storm

Sir Percy

Sixties Icon

Snoqualmie Boy

Visindar

Visindar is favourite to give France its first Epsom Derby winner in 30 years, but my money is going on Sir Percy. I also fancy Sixties Icon to run a big race at an enormous price.

So, any thoughts?

Sir Percy wins a thriller of a Derby by a short head from Dragon's Dancer. Dylan Thomas was a head further back in third.

A sour note to the race was the injury to Horatio Nelson who fractured his front leg three furlongs out.

Sadly the injuries sustained by Horatio Nelson proved so severe he had to be put down.

Questions will inevitably be asked of trainer Aidan O'Brien, given that jockey Kieran Fallon didn't look as though he was totally happy with the horse before the start of the race. However, both the trainer and the racecourse vet were satisfied that he was fit to race.

I realise that it is difficult to accept after seeing a thoroughbred break down in such a horrendous fashion, but the safety of the horse is paramount and he would not have raced if they felt doing so would put the horse in danger. Sadly, they got it wrong.

I wasn't sure about what Visindar had beaten before coming to Epsom so, at the price, he couldn't really be backed with confidence. The horse and jockey didn't do a lot wrong, but they just had too much to do going round the outside.

Archived