Hamburg During The Football World Cup

Since I live in Hamburg I want to share some impresion of the city during the World Cup.

It is interesting to see how the city has changed in the last weeks - streets and squares are flagged with the logos and the flags of the participating countries.

Some reconstructions of streets (e.g. Jungfernstieg) and some squares (e.g. Spielbudenplatz at the Reeperbahn) are just finished before the World Cup.

The announcements in the busses and underground-trains of the stations in the city-center are now in English, too.

There is a joyous anticipations anywhere - wonderful feeling and I imagine that it would be much bigger for Olympic Games...

CAF, I hope that the football matches over there are good and fair ones. Also, I hope that you can give us more pictures of the excitement and atmosphere during this event.

In the city are everywhere flags:

img05649im.jpg

The topic of most of the shopping windows is football

img05715gx.jpg

In this house living a lot of Portuguese

img05663ii.jpg

It is a fantastic athmosphere in the city - today I watched when the "FOX Soccer Channel" made a short film in one shopping street in Hamburg - it is fantastic to see so many guests from around the world...

I can well imagine the atmosphere CAF! It must be a great time to be in Hamburg and elsewhere in Germany. So does that mean that all that roadwork in front of the Police Station on the Reeperbahn is finished now? And is the Beatles statue up now?

Have a Great World Cup to all the German members here!

I can well imagine the atmosphere CAF! It must be a great time to be in Hamburg and elsewhere in Germany. So does that mean that all that roadwork in front of the Police Station on the Reeperbahn is finished now? And is the Beatles statue up now?

Have a Great World Cup to all the German members here!

yes the roadwork in front of the police station on the reeperbahn is finished (the new square was opened yesterday) - but the Beatles Square will come later: Oldie 95 - The Beatles-Platz is going to come later

Great pictures, thanks. Can only imagine the electric atmosphere over there.

:D

Yeah - it is very exciting - the city is full with visitors...

The press here have been very favourable in their reporting of the German organisation of the World Cup. I have heard lots of great news stories about the way the German people are reacting to the competition and lots of great things going on. I think this World Cup will be amazing. The Germans seem to be putting in lots of effort and pulling out all the stops.

Interesting article here about St Pauli during WC time. It brings my earlier visit this year all back to me!

HAMBURG, June 15, 2006 (AFP) - It's another hot night in St. Pauli. Even without World Cup fever raising temperatures and other things, most nights are sizzling in this party district of sex shops, nightclubs and prostitutes.

Inside the packed restaurants are giant television screens showing every match. Tonight it's Brazil. Or is it Germany? It hardly seems to matter, just a different set of people strolling the streets, waving flags and honking horns.

Visitors from around the world are flocking to the entertainment district of the northern German city of Hamburg where the Beatles discovered the style and sound that excited a generation.

A monument on a side street recalls the 1960's Star Club where the Beatles played, just down the street from Grossen Freiheit 36, where more modern stars have played for more than 20 years.

But it's the sex and neon that steal the eyes these days. Store windows have scantily clad mannequins in suggestive poses surrounded by footballs in a nod to the World Cup, but it's mainly business as usual.

And business is booming. Prostitution is legal in Germany. With thousands of visitors in every city for the 32-nation football festival, the next month offers a chance for brisk global trade.

Just down from the large corner police station, outside a McDonald's, is a row of women wearing all manner of seductive outfits, faux farm girls and tennis stars leaving so little and yet so much to the imagination.

Many of them inquire if visitors would like to come away with them. From kilt-clad curious to those reveling in World Cup victory or trying to console a loss, the sidewalk is busy.

``Why not? Just 30 to watch,'' says a halter-topped, tight-shorted blonde.

Touching costs more along the Reeperbahn, the street of brothels where visits by women and boys (under 18) are forbidden. Tall metal walls on either end of the street keep out auto traffic and unwelcome guests.

A faded sign lays out the rules. But a group of Hispanic visitors do not notice the signs, strolling along the street with women.

Bikini-clad women from inside the windows quickly let the newcomers know that competition of any feminine kind is not welcome along this street. The women depart. The men stroll through.

The Anchor and The Other Place, bars at one end of the street, are showing the World Cup. But most nights there are less than a handful of people watching the match alongside the entrance to the department store of sexy women.

Those seeking sport glory look elsewhere in St. Pauli, which is home to a gritty football club with a cult following. But in this area, fantasies of a different sort are on display.

Within the gates, conversations take place. Business is transacted. In the spirit of the World Cup motto, friends are made.

A dominatrix chats on a phone awaiting her next call. Achtung, baby. Don't fear the Reeperbahn.

Out the other side, signs for the SV Hamburg Bundesliga club proclaim this the official path of supporters. A few people crowd around a sports bar. People are spilling out into the streets.

The day's final World Cup match is over. But the night has just started and the matchmaking is far from done.

AFP

I'm afraid that my digital camera, which I had bought last year, is out of order - therefore I haven't posted another pics of Hamburg so far...

@ roltel - when I want to make a photo is there a light spot in the middle of the image and it is also visible on the photo - it seems that there is something wrong - did you hear about such problems with an ixus 30 before?

Interesting article here about St Pauli during WC time. It brings my earlier visit this year all back to me!

Yes the Reeperbahn and the Grosse Freiheit resp. the Herbertstrasse are something special

"Auf der Reeperbahn nachts um halb eins - ob Du Mädel hast oder hast keins"

bluegoals9ye.jpg

Hamburg at night during the World Cup!!!

from the left (the small green spire is St. Catherine / the tall black spire is St. Nicolaus / the grey metallic with the golden ball on top is St. Jacob / the red with the gree roof and the triangle is St. Peter / the green spire in the background is St. Michael / the brown-green with the lower illuminated green roof is the spire of the city hall / the large building with the bright parts on the right in the front of the pic is the central station)

The illuminated Blue Goals on the roofs are a light installation during the World Cup...

bluegoals9ye.jpg

Hamburg at night during the World Cup!!!

from the left (the small green spire is St. Catherine / the tall black spire is St. Nicolaus / the grey metallic with the golden ball on top is St. Jacob / the red with the gree roof and the triangle is St. Peter / the green spire in the background is St. Michael / the brown-green with the lower illuminated green roof is the spire of the city hall / the large building with the bright parts on the right in the front of the pic is the central station)

The illuminated Blue Goals on the roofs are a light installation during the World Cup...

it looks stunning by night!

Archived