FIFA 2034 World Cup - Saudi Arabia

stryker

I don't think Saudi Arabia 2034 is going to happen!!  

Humiliation for Saudi Arabia as it's 'forced to scale back $1.5trillion plans for 106-mile-long city The Line to just 1.5miles with workers already being laid off at desert construction site' (msn.com) 

I think United 2026 should be ready as a last-minute back-up should SA fail.  And even if 2034 WOGs is set for Salt Lake, I think the US-Mexico-Canada can easily put on WC again with 2.5 years notice.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I don't think Saudi Arabia 2034 is going to happen!!  

Humiliation for Saudi Arabia as it's 'forced to scale back $1.5trillion plans for 106-mile-long city The Line to just 1.5miles with workers already being laid off at desert construction site' (msn.com) 

I think United 2026 should be ready as a last-minute back-up should SA fail.  And even if 2034 WOGs is set for Salt Lake, I think the US-Mexico-Canada can easily put on WC again with 2.5 years notice.  

It's very unlikely that line becoming a dot would have any tangible effect in the 2034 World Cup, unless the costs of that too enters into question. Renember that building stadiums are far more feasible than doing a straight line stuffed with people living within in the middle of the desert.

However if that actually happens... No it won't be United 26 getting 2034 automatically, it will be either outright war between South America and Spain-Morroco-Portugal for 2030 now that Infantino masterplan goes bust, with the loser in reaching distance of 2034, or South America will really be trying to pull something for get 2034. If the Saudis get out, we will have a fiery World Cup bidding process. Also, it's good to point out that nobody got officialy assigned a edition or signed a contract yet, like our Targeted Dialogues in the Olympic side. Things could still theorethically change, even if it's a remote possibility by this point.

3 hours ago, Guilga said:

It's very unlikely that line becoming a dot would have any tangible effect in the 2034 World Cup, unless the costs of that too enters into question. Renember that building stadiums are far more feasible than doing a straight line stuffed with people living within in the middle of the desert.

However if that actually happens... No it won't be United 26 getting 2034 automatically, it will be either outright war between South America and Spain-Morroco-Portugal for 2030 now that Infantino masterplan goes bust, with the loser in reaching distance of 2034, or South America will really be trying to pull something for get 2034. If the Saudis get out, we will have a fiery World Cup bidding process. Also, it's good to point out that nobody got officialy assigned a edition or signed a contract yet, like our Targeted Dialogues in the Olympic side. Things could still theorethically change, even if it's a remote possibility by this point.

Nah.  Sorry, Guliga.  If 2034 falters, they won't give it to the 2030 hosts.  Usually, after such big events, the LAST hosts do not want a REPEAT of the stress.  Their citizenry and governments won't like it.  United 2026 will be the back-up or, maybe, they could call on Japan-Korea to step in . . .  if China doesn't.  

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Nah.  Sorry, Guliga.  If 2034 falters, they won't give it to the 2030 hosts.  Usually, after such big events, the LAST hosts do not want a REPEAT of the stress.  Their citizenry and governments won't like it.  United 2026 will be the back-up or, maybe, they could call on Japan-Korea to step in . . .  if China doesn't.  

Yes, obviously, but you have to take into perspective that South America is getting only 3 singular games in 2030, unless the plans change. Maybe this shouldn't count as the same level of hosting as the party in Spain, Portugal and Morocco.

But the kicker here is that Infantino made all of this circus for 2030, the WC before the Saudi, just so the Saudis would be the only bidders for 2034 by georestrictons on bidding. If the Saudis give up on the project for the next world cup after the centenary, would these gentleman agreements hold? This is the question. If not... That is unusual, but the way FIFA handled that effective double adward does lend for some weird side effects of this blow up. Notice that I mentioned South America alone in the original post, I'm assuming that if the agreement ends, both bids would split into two separate again.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Or to where it should be, Australia and New Zealand. I can't see FIFA going back on a decision though, admitting they're wrong while displeasing their new owners? Only if it's Saudi themselves that hand it back...

Renember that if it happens, things might get more hetic than just 2034, due to the potential situation of the gentleman agreements for 2030 that made it possible to the saudis almost nag it so easily in first place, even though there isn't really so much real evidence of problems at the saudis bid commitee itself. COMNEBOL already signed their part for the 3 games in South America, but 2030 itself wasn't officialy apointed yet to Morroco and Iberia... If the saudis get out, we will just have a semi-regular bid process for 2034 in the wake of whatever happens to 2030, even if just the confirmation of what we currently have.

12 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

But FIFA's going to have to change the idiotic 48 teams!! 

Good luck convincing literally every continental confederation and their national federations of that.

15 hours ago, Rob2012 said:

Yeah, I'm not surprised their 100 MILE LONG SMART CITY has been scaled back.

Like it or not, I still think they'll manage to build a few stadiums.

Not if the Saudi League bubble breaks. We're just two years and now the Saudi League is sinking like the Chinese League with more years of survival. 

• Like 1