LA2028 Venues and Stadiums

Agree on the impracticalities on making SoFi Stadium being utilized for swimming considering how so close it would be to the Opening Ceremony unless the semis onward are scheduled or SoFi won't be used for the OC. Makes me wish the Dedeaux Center at USC should be entirely indoors for swimming like with many past Summer Olympics--unless that's the overall plan (forgive me for not following more closely here). Because a) that's been the standard save for Los Angeles 1984, Barcelona 1992, and  Athens 2004 and b) despite the scenery it might provide, could it get hot at that time in LA?

1 hour ago, Durban Sandshark said:

could it get hot at that time in LA?

Uhmmm, these are the Summer Olympics. B)  Comfort of live spectators is secondary.  Main thing for Swimming is the TV schedule and, of course, a warm outside is perfect for the swimmers.  So, if major finals are sked for prime-time East Coast time (9:00 - 10:00pm)-- as they would be; then it'll be perfect in LA where it will only be 6:00 - 7:00PM, just as the sun is starting to set.  

Opening Ceremony will most likely begin at 6pm PDT to cater for East Coast viewing and sunset during the parade of athletes with the cauldron lighting at around 10PM PDT to enable primetime viewing and maximum ratings for NBC and a twilight atmosphere. Sunset will be at 8:05PM PDT in mid-July. 

1 hour ago, BigVic said:

Australian reports say swimming will be at SoFi Stadium instead of a temporary structure at Dedeaux Field 

Herald Sun, behind a paywall, but Google served up this much on its results page...

Build a pool at Suncorp: LA Olympics can be Brisbane blueprint

The epic stadium that hosted the Super Bowl and Taylor Swift is set to be transformed for the world’s biggest swimming event at the 2028 Olympics, why Brisbane must follow LA’s lead to save itself from embarrassment.

2 hours ago, Rob2012 said:

Herald Sun, behind a paywall, but Google served up this much on its results page...

Build a pool at Suncorp: LA Olympics can be Brisbane blueprint

One issue - its mid winter. Not exactly balmy for evening competition in an outdoor pool. This isn't Athens in August. Evening temps in July/August in Brisbane are regularly in single digits after 6pm.

Climate data for Brisbane (Brisbane Airport on the coast, 1994–2019)
Month Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Year
Mean daily maximum °C  29.1

Daily mean °C  25.2

Mean daily minimum °C  21.4

3 hours ago, BigVic said:

Ceremonies could take place at the Memorial Coliseum and Figueroa Street. 

They will NOT.   There are more seats at SoFi plus they want to show off the $2 billion dollar stadium.  Memorial will be ready for the Athletics competition -- NOT a full ceremony.  Besides, Memorial will have its time again in the Closing and at the Paras.  Why not USE ALL faciltiies available?  

7 hours ago, BigVic said:

Opening Ceremony will most likely begin at 6pm PDT to cater for East Coast viewing and sunset during the parade of athletes with the cauldron lighting at around 10PM PDT to enable primetime viewing and maximum ratings for NBC and a twilight atmosphere. Sunset will be at 8:05PM PDT in mid-July. 

They'll want the climax of the ceremony to happen at a reasonable hour on the East coast.  They're not going to have the cauldron lighting at 1am ET.  That's much too late to maximize viewership.  I think more likely the ceremony will start around 5pm PT (8pm ET).  If it runs about 4 hours, that means the finish will be around Midnight on the East coast and it'll be dark by then in LA.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

They will NOT.   There are more seats at SoFi plus they want to show off the $2 billion dollar stadium.  Memorial will be ready for the Athletics competition -- NOT a full ceremony.  Besides, Memorial will have its time again in the Closing and at the Paras.  Why not USE ALL faciltiies available?  

And the good thing about the Coliseum is that track and field doesn't start until the middle weekend of the Games.  So they'll have nearly a week after the opening ceremony to get the venue ready after whatever they want to do there.

Swimming usually starts with the first day of competition, so if that's being held at SoFi, that needs to be ready to go about 12 hours after the opening ceremony ends.  Doesn't seem likely that can work.  Definitely need to hear from more than just Australian press (which may or may not have an ulterior motive involved to talk about Brisbane and their swimming venue)

How long does it take to set a pool up? You could maybe have the opening ceremony & swimming at SoFi...if you swap athletics and swimming over. Would be weird to have athletics in week 1 & swimming in week 2, but maybe it could work if you can set up a pool in a week. If you want the closing at SoFi too... well there's probably no solving that. 

17 minutes ago, yoshi said:

How long does it take to set a pool up? You could maybe have the opening ceremony & swimming at SoFi...if you swap athletics and swimming over. Would be weird to have athletics in week 1 & swimming in week 2, but maybe it could work if you can set up a pool in a week. If you want the closing at SoFi too... well there's probably no solving that. 

A couple of articles I've read on the US Olympic trials say it can be done in about a week, but normally they want a much longer lead-up time.  I sincerely doubt World Aquatics and the IOC would be okay with a venue that isn't complete yet when the Olympics start up.

• Thanks 1

It took Athens 2004 62 hours to put away the Fake Lake and set the infield up for Athletics (out of a permissible 65 hours).  Beijing 2008 took 45 hours (but they didn't have to deal with a "lagoon") to get Birds Nest ready for Athletics.  But Beijing of course used competing units of the PRC Army and Navy to get the field ready.  Probably offered the cadets an extra carton of cigarettes to get it done ahead of the other half.  

• Like 1

London took a week to dismantle the stage for the track and field events in 2012. Rio's OC was at the Maracana. Swapping swimming to W2 and track and field to W1 for 2028 will be unprecedented 

26 minutes ago, BigVic said:

London took a week to dismantle the stage for the track and field events in 2012. Rio's OC was at the Maracana. Swapping swimming to W2 and track and field to W1 for 2028 will be unprecedented 

And we're basing this speculation off of 1 very un-corroborated report.  So I wouldn't pay much mind to it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

And we're basing this speculation off of 1 very un-corroborated report.  So I wouldn't pay much mind to it.

Yep, and a weirdly worded one too with a particular agenda around a different Games.

That said we heard this rumour before this report, so I'm inclined to believe there is something in it - even if it's just being considered.

I mean technically it is possible and they can sell more seats by putting Swimming in SoFi.  Only problem is a month out--end of June, it has to be ready and at least hosted the US trials.  Then, they put a platform over it (if no swim moments are built into the OC), and then turn it over to Ceremonies until July 24.  Day after, they tear down all the OC elements, and swimming can begin on Day 3 or 4.  But they'll still have to build a warm-up pool outside.  And they'd have to move Archery on the other side or at Dedeaux (where Diving could stay there). 

But then, is Uytengsu big enough to handle Para Swimming?  I think the permanent stands there can only fit a few hundred people.  But by building a swim facility from scratch at Dedeaux, including all the adjustments/tweaks needed for Para Swimming, it will make for a less complicated staging of the sport.  Thus, as I concur with Quaker, moving Swimming to SoFi will be more problematic than beneficial.    

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

But then, is Uytengsu big enough to handle Para Swimming?  I think the permanent stands there can only fit a few hundred people.  But by building a swim facility from scratch at Dedeaux, including all the adjustments/tweaks needed for Para Swimming, it will make for a less complicated staging of the sport.  Thus, as I concur with Quaker, moving Swimming to SoFi will be more problematic than beneficial.    

why does para swimming have to take place in a different venue? its no longer the 90s or 80s where the paralympics were a much smaller event than the olympics. the crowd sizes will be around the same for both in 2028.

26 minutes ago, Bear said:

why does para swimming have to take place in a different venue? its no longer the 90s or 80s where the paralympics were a much smaller event than the olympics. the crowd sizes will be around the same for both in 2028.

Then, why are they staging Para OC @ Memorial?  Show me the numbers!  You're overselling the Paras.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

On 5/3/2024 at 7:54 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

Then, why are they staging Para OC @ Memorial?  Show me the numbers!  You're overselling the Paras.  

this was never the plan. the Paralympic ceremonies were meant to be at SoFi.

https://la28.org/en/games-plan.html

notice how only SoFi has the ceremonies icon in the Paralympic tab.

also like, literally every paralympics since 1988 has used the same venues as their olympic counterparts. why should LA28 be any different?

Eh.  I can't find it.  In any case, as they've refined their plans, Para ceremonies are slated for Memorial and (1) obviously SoFi is too big for them; and (2) SoFi may no longer be available for the when? August dates.  In any case, I believe the later plans -- Paras just don't sell as well as the regulars.  The OCs know that and so does the IOC; and they just tolerate the Paras because it looks good.  You may not want to hear that --but it is what it is.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Eh.  I can't find it.  In any case, as they've refined their plans, Para ceremonies are slated for Memorial and (1) obviously SoFi is too big for them; and (2) SoFi may no longer be available for the when? September dates.  In any case, I believe the later plans -- Paras just don't sell as well as the regulars.  The OCs know that and so does the IOC; and they just tolerate the Paras because it looks good.  You may not want to hear that --but it is what it is.  

dude you're just making things up right now - LA Memorial was never considered for the Paralympic ceremonies. The LA 2024 bid venue plan always had the Paralympic ceremonies at SoFi, and I cannot find any information about them being moved to the Coliseum.

Also - September is irrelevant because the Paralympics start August 15 and end on August 27. The NFL season begins a week or so into September, plenty of time to reconfigure SoFi from ceremonies mode to NFL mode.

There is absolutely no reason to bring in other venues just for the Paralympics, because that would just be a waste of resources and funding when you can just use the same venue from 2 weeks ago.

But sure, if this is about capacity:

• LA Memorial Coliseum - 70,000 projected capacity for the Olympic Opening (taking into consideration reduced seating due to elevated track platform)
  • SoFi Stadium - 70,000 current capacity

there's no real size difference.

• Like 1