1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

So, with possibly 33 sports, NBC will be getting its money's worth in terms of broadcast content!  That'll be like, what, 4,000 hours of broadcast content?  

You mean 33 and counting - we still have the decisions on boxing, modern pentathlon and weightlifting to come

Really is a joke to even consider a kids training game as an Olympic Sport.   Thought they were supposed to be making the games more affordable.    Squash is long overdue too, and whilst I think cricket benefits more than the Olympics from their inclusion I get the logic behind that.    Lacrosse for me falls into the same category as Flag Football.

The worse thing is the athlete cap which removes events from other sports.   I think rather than removing events you begin by removing competitors - so like swimming and most other sports athletics would be cut down to 2 per country per event (with perhaps a third if defending champion) and you end the practice of completely seperate heats/finals teams for the relays in athletics and swimming, with just 6 permitted across the event. 

Lacrosse is probably the edition I’m most excited about, although squash making the cut for once was a nice surprise. The sixes format, in terms of pace of play and general layout, reminds me of ice hockey. The men’s and women’s finals at The World Games were a lot fun. The CAN v. USA rivalry is alive well for sure. I think it’ll be a fun way to showcase North American sport, even if it isn’t the most competitive tournament. 

I really would have liked to see ultimate frisbee added though. It’s quite popular in Southern California, and it’d be the first Co-Ed team sport at the Olympics. 

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I really would have liked to see ultimate frisbee added though. It’s quite popular in Southern California, and it’d be the first Co-Ed team sport at the Olympics. 

Nah.  Yachting, Pairs Figure Skating* and equestrian** teams have been mixed-gender team sports long before the other, prescribed Co-Ed/Mixed relay sports (which are only a product of the last decade or so).  

*Pairs Figure Skating since the first WOGs in Chamonix 1924.

**Mixed equestrian-gender teams, of course, have not just applied to the human participants, but the genders of the 4-legged partners have always NOT been compulsory for either gender.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Does some of the broadcasting rights money go to the OCOGs? If so, and if the IOC confirms the five sports next week, I cannot wait to see how much money will be generated from India's broadcasting rights now that cricket is on the Olympic programme... 

6 hours ago, Bear said:

Does some of the broadcasting rights money go to the OCOGs? If so, and if the IOC confirms the five sports next week, I cannot wait to see how much money will be generated from India's broadcasting rights now that cricket is on the Olympic programme... 

Yes.  The IOC shares broadcast rights monies with the OCOGs.  I forget what the percentages are right now.  They're forever changing.  But yes, if it hasn't been already negotiated, as it seems not, then including cricket might mean a lot of money for the IOC and LA28; altho I guess, not only from India, but from Pakistan and the UK as well. 

Watching the ExBo press conference, and Bach has revealed that there was actually zero disagreement with Wasserman over cricket - the idea came during a dinner at the World Athletics Championships in Eugene last year and both agreed it would be a good idea.

Some insights from Wasserman on the five sports: https://www.sportico.com/leagues/baseball/2023/la28-olympics-mlb-haudenosaunee-1234742028/

• There is ongoing dialogue between the MLB and the MLB Players Association regarding allowing MLB players compete in the baseball competition
  • The addition of the five sports will not increase the current $6.9B budget
  • He wants to see the Haudenosaunee field their own team like in the World Games last year
  • LA28 is open to hosting some events outside of Los Angeles
  • No comment on media revenue sharing between LA28 and IOC
  • Final venue plan expected in the next few months

Is it bad that I'm a cricket fan and I love the Olympics and yet I don't like this at all? Is this going to have the kind of status within the game that the Olympics should have? How is the already stretched cricket calendar going to cope with all the best players going for at least 3 extra weeks? How are they gonna deal with the West Indies? Or GB, I assume it'll just be the England team but Scotland's still around...

46 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Is it bad that I'm a cricket fan and I love the Olympics and yet I don't like this at all? Is this going to have the kind of status within the game that the Olympics should have? How is the already stretched cricket calendar going to cope with all the best players going for at least 3 extra weeks? How are they gonna deal with the West Indies? Or GB, I assume it'll just be the England team but Scotland's still around...

all fair concerns, we'll just have to wait and see considering its the first time cricket will appear in a major capacity at the Olympics, as 1900 only had 2 teams. in regards to the "status within the game" comment, assuming you mean if an Olympic gold will mean as much as an ICC World Cup trophy (or something similar), it'll probably take a few editions (especially with Brisbane) for it to be known.

55 minutes ago, yoshi said:

At Kuala Lumpur 1998 CWGs, the West Indies nations competed as separate countries, so I'd assume the same here. Assuming they qualify, of course. Sadly, the Windies is no longer the major force it was.

As for Britain - well, you're already doing that for Football and Rugby at the Olympics. I expect they might throw a token Scotsman into the England team.

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

thank you, i was going to bring this up but i got distracted with other IOC and non-IOC news haha

I must say, there's so many new sports and disciplines coming to LA that I can't help but start to be more excited for 2028 than 2024... maybe I'm biased for living here though :)

Well tonight (for me at least) is the day we find out if the 5 sports will be actually added to the program (which they likely will). The agenda also has a report from LA28 listed (and from the other organizing committees), so it'll be interesting to see what happens today.

24 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

Of course. Nowadays IOC sessions just rubberstamp the Politburo’s decision.

if it's worth anything there were two votes against and a few abstentions, it wasn't unanimous