From my understanding, all five sports would be added if IOC ratifies it next week. If this is truly the case, then I don't mind cricket being included if it means baseball/softball also gets in. Sad that there's no break dancing though. I feel like it would fit more in LA than in Paris, but oh well.

(also @cfm Jeremie you wrote cricket twice, the fifth sport is lacrosse)

1 hour ago, Bear said:

Also - no boxing or pentathlon listed in the proposed sports OR the initial sports program :ph34r: will they be late additions or did they miss their chance at this point?

Boxing has a chance given how American centric the sport has been for probably the last hundred years...

43 minutes ago, Comped said:

Boxing has a chance given how American centric the sport has been for probably the last hundred years...

Well there's the whole IBA mess that resulted in them being kicked off the initial sports programme and completely de-recognized by the IOC, so I wouldn't be too sure

---

I wonder which venues will be used for these 5 sports?

Dodger Stadium is the obvious choice for Baseball/Softball ofc. As for flag football, I would assume the NFL would want SoFi. There's a cricket stadium being built (last time I heard) in Irvine that could probably be temporarily expanded. Maybe Long Beach Convention Center for Squash to solidify the LB Sports Park concept. Maybe they could get Weingart Stadium for lacrosse... it would be so accessible to me ^_^ (although thanks to the LA Metro rail upgrades, a good chunk of venues are incredibly accessible now, which I'm really happy about)

So, Bach wasn;t going to budge from cricket, and Wasserman wasn’t going to give up baseball and flag football, so they threw the full monty as the solution.

What’s this going to do with participant numbers and what’s going to be cut back to accommodate them? 

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Thanks 1

Cricket is beyond stupid- played by about 10 countries (so fails universality test), needs big specialized venues, can be easily washed out by rain, is another 'Western/British' Sport (more medals for GB, AUS, NZ), we have the GB problem again like Football etc..

At the Cricket World Cup last week in India  (the supposed cricket mad country) at the Opening match the stadium was empty.

That was 50 over cricket (a format which basically only exists because the World Cup is still in it) though, and a match not involving India. T20 could work. Is it a sign that Bach wants Ahmedabad 2036 or is that reading too much into it? Flag football and lacrosse are the odd ones - how many countries play them?!

2 hours ago, Bear said:

As for flag football, I would assume the NFL would want SoFi. There's a cricket stadium being built (last time I heard) in Irvine that could probably be temporarily expanded.

I think so to. USA does have a strong history in flag football since it's part of NFL.

1 hour ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Cricket is beyond stupid- played by about 10 countries (so fails universality test), needs big specialized venues, can be easily washed out by rain, is another 'Western/British' Sport (more medals for GB, AUS, NZ), we have the GB problem again like Football etc..

At the Cricket World Cup last week in India  (the supposed cricket mad country) at the Opening match the stadium was empty.

Hmmm, I dunno. I’m not really fanatical one way or the other. Cricket’s one of the few sports I played with any success at school, but I think it’s boring to watch and don’t pay too much attention beyond noting results.

And, yes, playing at the elite, or professional, level? Yeah, 10’s about right. But in terms of organised amateur competition around the world, it’s far more universal than that. So universality isn’t really a problem. The same could be said of many sports at the games.

Look at Rugby. As the current World Cup highlights, there’s only about 8 nations that are competitive at the test level. But the 7s format, however, has drawn a lot more countries to participate in it, and the 7s circuit has bloomed, since it was introduced to the Olympics. I imagine the ICC would hope T20 (we’re not talking Test cricket) would have the same result from the Olympics in broadening the interest base. Plus, there’s the money. What was it? Cricket inclusion will increase the Indian broadcast rights from $20 million to $200 million? India sure does splash money at cricket coverage. 

It was a shoe-in for 2032 anyway. 

14 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Flag football and lacrosse are the odd ones - how many countries play them?!

Exactly. Flag Football’s far more bizarre, but at least it makes sense to the broadcast appeal, and ensure some easy golds, for a US home games. It’s hard to see it included in non-US games in the future. Lacrosse is possibly a bit more established, but still obscure. Hard to see that survive beyond 2028 either.

Squash has been trying so hard for so long, so happy for them they finally made it.

My biggest concern is the competitor numbers all these are going to bring. If the IOC is so ken to cap competitor numbers, and ensure male-female parity, what events in other sports are going to have to be cut to make way for this deluge? Or have they given up on that? They really can’t resist the pull of gigantism.  

Q:  So universality isn’t really a problem

There are over 200 countries in the World- universality is a problem. Just as it is for Rugby....as for flag football FFS.

Team sport addition will lead to quota cuts in sports that have universal participation- like athletics and swimming. It is not a zero cost proposition.

5 minutes ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Q:  So universality isn’t really a problem

There are over 200 countries in the World- universality is a problem. Just as it is for Rugby....as for flag football FFS.

Team sport addition will lead to quota cuts in sports that have universal participation- like athletics and swimming. It is not a zero cost proposition.

No, it’s not a problem for cricket.

The ICC has 12 full, and 96 associate member countries, ie, to quote “countries where cricket is firmly established and organised, but do not qualify for full membership”.

Edited by Sir Rols

29 minutes ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Associate can mean 10 expats meeting up once a year.....doesn't mean much on the biggest stage.

And universality means they play the sports in those countries and have organised competitions - NOT that they all have equal chance of seriously striving for a gold medal. How many countries are serious competitors for gold in badminton? Table tennis? Hockey? Handball? Etc. Every Olympic sport is played widely, but in almost all only a handful in each can realistically, regularly and consistently strive for medals.

Looking at the ICC list - ALL the 96 have cricket associations or federations, and all bar 2 field men’s and women’s U19 teams - the two (Turkey and Vanuatu) field only mens teams. Cricket more than meets the universality bar.

* Actually, on recheck, those two indeed field both mens and womens teams

Edited by Sir Rols

To keep the 10,500 spots for athletes (in the main village).  I don't know if they count the est. 250 spaces for the football teams assigned to the 3 far-flung venues/)

But they're going to have to cut back from Athletics, Equestrian maybe?  No more Weightlifting?  Swimming? Rowing (since Long Beach will only have 6 lanes, I think).  

Or LA will just add more dorm spaces.  Or quite a bit of bedspace juggling.  Soon as your sports are done, you're OUTTA there so the later-played sports can bring in their people?  So somehow keep 10,500 spots but a lot of rotation for the Village beds.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
x x

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

To keep the 10,500 spots for athletes (in the main village).  I don't know if they count the est. 250 spaces for the football teams assigned to the 3 far-flung venues/)

But they're going to have to cut back from Athletics, Equestrian maybe?  No more Weightlifting?  Swimming? Rowing (since Long Beach will only have 6 lanes, I think).  

Or LA will just add more dorm spaces.  Or quite a bit of bedspace juggling.  Soon as your sports are done, you're OUTTA there so the later-played sports can bring in their people?  So somehow keep 10,500 spots but a lot of rotation for the Village beds.  

I don't think the athlete's village is of major concern. If anything came up, they could probably get the local CSU campuses to open up some space. CSU move-in week isn't until mid-August anyways.

9 hours ago, Bear said:

I don't think the athlete's village is of major concern. If anything came up, they could probably get the local CSU campuses to open up some space. CSU move-in week isn't until mid-August anyways.

Of course, it's a major concern.  IOC always stresses the "Olympic Village experience" for the athletes.  Additional campuses as OVs mean ADDITIONAL security issues.  Hello, Munich 1972?  Gaza-Kibbutzes 2023?  HELLO?  I hope the developments in Israel this week are giving Wasserman & Bach some apoplexy re additional Village security issues.  

18 hours ago, Bear said:

Well there's the whole IBA mess that resulted in them being kicked off the initial sports programme and completely de-recognized by the IOC, so I wouldn't be too sure

---

I wonder which venues will be used for these 5 sports?

Dodger Stadium is the obvious choice for Baseball/Softball ofc. As for flag football, I would assume the NFL would want SoFi. There's a cricket stadium being built (last time I heard) in Irvine that could probably be temporarily expanded. Maybe Long Beach Convention Center for Squash to solidify the LB Sports Park concept. Maybe they could get Weingart Stadium for lacrosse... it would be so accessible to me ^_^ (although thanks to the LA Metro rail upgrades, a good chunk of venues are incredibly accessible now, which I'm really happy about)

I agree with Weingart Stadium for lacrosse and the LB Convention Center for squash (both of those came to my mind as well). I'm not sure about SoFi for flag football though. If it was full on full pads American football, no doubt but I have a hard time seeing 70,000 plus for flag football. Drake Stadium on the UCLA campus seems much more attractive or perhaps Dignity Health Sports Stadium (flag football could easily be held after the conclusion of rugby sevens). Rather than temporarily expanding a small cricket stadium, could the Anaheim Angels MLB stadium (or there new one if it gets built) host cricket?

3 hours ago, stryker said:

I agree with Weingart Stadium for lacrosse and the LB Convention Center for squash (both of those came to my mind as well). I'm not sure about SoFi for flag football though. If it was full on full pads American football, no doubt but I have a hard time seeing 70,000 plus for flag football. Drake Stadium on the UCLA campus seems much more attractive or perhaps Dignity Health Sports Stadium (flag football could easily be held after the conclusion of rugby sevens). Rather than temporarily expanding a small cricket stadium, could the Anaheim Angels MLB stadium (or there new one if it gets built) host cricket?

I think they will keep Drake as a practice venue' besides which, being in the UCLA Village enclosure.  With Intuit Arena coming up, Indoor Volleyball could move up from Anaheim, thereby freeing up the Honda Center down there for another 17,000 seater.  

5 hours ago, stryker said:

Rather than temporarily expanding a small cricket stadium, could the Anaheim Angels MLB stadium (or there new one if it gets built) host cricket?

Probably - if Dodger Stadium was able to host a cricket match, then Angels Stadium probably can too

7 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Of course, it's a major concern.  IOC always stresses the "Olympic Village experience" for the athletes.  Additional campuses as OVs mean ADDITIONAL security issues.  Hello, Munich 1972?  Gaza-Kibbutzes 2023?  HELLO?  I hope the developments in Israel this week are giving Wasserman & Bach some apoplexy re additional Village security issues.  

fair point on security. regarding space, apparently UCLA's housing capacity is around 14.5k, so even if the quota is increased, there's not much of a concern with that aspect.

3 hours ago, Bear said:

fair point on security. regarding space, apparently UCLA's housing capacity is around 14.5k, so even if the quota is increased, there's not much of a concern with that aspect.

Ah, then no wonder they're ready to take on 5 new sports.  But then, you will also have Villages in NorCal (Stanford probably) and Oklahoma.