The World in 30 Countries

Since a few on this board seem to think that we are better together then apart les play Verseilles and shove a bunch of countries together.

Europe:

1. Britain and Ireland

2. Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, and Wallonia.

3. Flanders, Netherlands, Germany, Liechteinstein, Switzerland and Austria

4. Iceland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden

5. Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary

6. Poland, Ukraine, Belarus, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Moldova, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Russia

7. Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Herzegovina, Vojvodina, Montenegro, Serbia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Bulgaria and Romania

8. Greece

9. Turkey

So 51 nations, in 9 countries, sounds good eh Bernie?

Africa

1. Mauritania, Mali, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Lubya, Egypt

2. Senegel, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Cote d'Ivoire, Ghana, Togo, benin, Sao Tome e Principle

3. Niger, Chad, Nigeria, Cameroon, Central Africa Republic, Sudan

4. Eritrea, Djibouti, Somalia

5. Ethiopia

6. Gabon, Congo, the other Congo, Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda Burindi, Angola

7. Zambia, Malawi, Comoro, Mauritius, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, Botswana, South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland

8. Mozambique, Madagascar

54 nations in 8 countries, even batter, now we are at 14 total, fairly good compression

Asia

1. Mongolia, China, Bhutan, Korea, Japan

2. India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka

3. Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia, Timor, Phillipines

4. Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Takikastin, Kyrgyzstan

5. Iran

6. Iraq, Syria, Turkey, Jordan, Israel, Palestie, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, Oman, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Lebenon

45 nations in 6 countries,

So far I have reduced a 150+ to 23

1. Australia, Papua New Guinea, New Zealand

2. All the Polynesian Islands

20ish countries in 2, not bad

The Americas

1. Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Guyana, Suriname

2. Brazil

3. Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Dominican Republic, Cuba

4. Belize, Jamaica, Bahamas and all the other Caribbean islands

5. Canada and the USA

60ish nations in 5 countries

So there you have it all 200 countries and the other 100ish territories now compressed into 30 countries, Bernie heres your heaven.

6. Poland, Ukraine, Belarus, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Moldova, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Russia

7. Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Herzegovina, Vojvodina, Montenegro, Serbia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Bulgaria and Romania

8. Greece

5. Ethiopia

6. Gabon, Congo, the other Congo, Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda Burindi, Angola

6. Iraq, Syria, Turkey, Jordan, Israel, Palestie, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, Oman, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Lebenon

1. Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Guyana, Suriname

5. Canada and the USA

1) poor greeks all alone!

2) hungary with baltic countires...what?!!?!?  :rock:

3) you are remerging many states that passed their whole history trying to be independent. how can u put toghether poland and russia or slovenia, croatia and serbia??? i wouldn't like to be a croatian nor a polish in a world like that!!!

4)you've been smart in the case of ethiopia-eritrea...coz they almost still have war there!!!

5)the other congo's name is Zaire

6)you'll surely convince japanese and chinese to be toghether...uhuh...you will!!!

7)india and pakistan...another gooooood choice

8)irak and turkey? wasn't turkey alone in the europe group?

9)israel and syria???? yeahhhh why not?!

10)do you know you are putting toghether countries that still have very tense relationships???? even in south america!!!

11)go and tell to the canadians to merge with the US!!!

12)i forgot to say...switzerland can be divided and added a part to the Latin country and a part to the german one....!

Since a few on this board seem to think that we are better together then apart les play Verseilles and shove a bunch of countries together.

Europe:

1. Britain and Ireland

Hmmm...been there,done that!

It didn't work out you know!!  :help:

He came from the language - the languages of Estonia, Finland and Hungary belong to one language family...

Yes,but not Latvia and Lithuania.They speak completely different languages!

If we're playing this game,then common sense dictates that geography and history have to play some part.If Romania,a Romance speaking country,can be included in with Slavonic speaking countries in Category 7,then so can Hungary which also shares geography and long historical ties with those countries.All it shares with Finland and Estonia is a very distant linguistic relationship and not even that with Lithuania and Latvia!

He came from the language - the languages of Estonia, Finland and Hungary belong to one language family...

Yes,but not Latvia and Lithuania.They speak completely different languages!

If we're playing this game,then common sense dictates that geography and history have to play some part.If Romania,a Romance speaking country,can be included in with Slavonic speaking countries in Category 7,then so can Hungary which also shares geography and long historical ties with those countries.All it shares with Finland and Estonia is a very distant linguistic relationship and not even that with Lithuania and Latvia!

I know - there are several "bugs" in his list, because of cultures, languages, history, etc. etc.

I suppose he did it for fun - and that is the way how we should take it...

What is your proposal?

3) you are remerging many states that passed their whole history trying to be independent. how can u put toghether poland and russia or slovenia, croatia and serbia??? i wouldn't like to be a croatian nor a polish in a world like that!!!

4)you've been smart in the case of ethiopia-eritrea...coz they almost still have war there!!!

6)you'll surely convince japanese and chinese to be toghether...uhuh...you will!!!

10)do you know you are putting toghether countries that still have very tense relationships???? even in south america!!!

12)i forgot to say...switzerland can be divided and added a part to the Latin country and a part to the german one....!

Piddly details.  A few killings will fix the overpopulation problem of the planet for a few generations.  So...there will be some good to come out of it.  And, of course, shorter Summer Ceremonies.  God, they get so long!!   :wwww:

The groupings are some times based on language, sometimes based on history, or just based on location as with Romania.

Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Hungary were put together because of language, location, and the fact that i didn't want Russia to have the baltics.

People have in a few ways pointed out the meaning of this without actually saying it.

All the groups are linked in some way or another, but could any of this groups actually function as a country is hard to believe except for maybe Ireland/Britain (mind you there would be terrorism) and Canada/USA and the ones that go it alone.

Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Hungary were put together because of language, location, and the fact that i didn't want Russia to have the baltics.

People have in a few ways pointed out the meaning of this without actually saying it.

All the groups are linked in some way or another, but could any of this groups actually function as a country is hard to believe except for maybe Ireland/Britain (mind you there would be terrorism) and Canada/USA and the ones that go it alone.

I agree with the first four because they all share a common location and history.Moreover the Finnish and Estonian languages are very closely related as are Lithuanian and Latvian (though they are in different language groups).But Hungary certainly does not belong there.It has no common history with any of them,it is almost a thousand miles from the nearest Baltic state and its linguistic connection with the Finns and Estonians is very distant indeed! You try telling a Hungarian if he/she has anything in common with a Finn and see what reaction you get!! By your logic,Hungary should accompany its neighbour Romania in with the Balkan super nation!!

I can certainly imagine the three Scandinavian countries together and also the Netherlands and Germany.More imaginable at least than a reunion between Britain and Ireland for the foreseeable future.As I said,there is such a recent and on-going history of political bad blood between Britain and Ireland,that such a reunion will be unthinkable for at least the next one hundred years!! As an Englishman with a mother of Irish background,I speak with some knowledge!!

Piddly details.  A few killings will fix the overpopulation problem of the planet for a few generations.  So...there will be some good to come out of it.  And, of course, shorter Summer Ceremonies.  God, they get so long!!   :wwww:

it's always the same history...americans wanting to do it their way with strengh

I agree with the first four because they all share a common location and history.Moreover the Finnish and Estonian languages are very closely related as are Lithuanian and Latvian (though they are in different language groups).But Hungary certainly does not belong there.It has no common history with any of them,it is almost a thousand miles from the nearest Baltic state and its linguistic connection with the Finns and Estonians is very distant indeed! You try telling a Hungarian if he/she has anything in common with a Finn and see what reaction you get!! By your logic,Hungary should accompany its neighbour Romania in with the Balkan super nation!!

I can certainly imagine the three Scandinavian countries together and also the Netherlands and Germany.More imaginable at least than a reunion between Britain and Ireland for the foreseeable future.As I said,there is such a recent and on-going history of political bad blood between Britain and Ireland,that such a reunion will be unthinkable for at least the next one hundred years!! As an Englishman with a mother of Irish background,I speak with some knowledge!!

Hungarians and Finns are ethnicly similar, not to mention they both are members of a very small linguistic group. Hungary is an oddball like Basque. The reason I even know there is a connection lingusiticly and ethnicly between Finland and Hungary is because of a Hungarian.

You expect the Netherlands to work well with Germany, thats interesting.

This was all in good fun and will never happen, so meh.

Hehe, how fun.  I would carve up countries rather than putting them together, so this will be an interesting exercise.  I just skimmed a book last week in which a part proposes that Mexico be split into 4 countries.  Unification is a bit troublesome with some of the cultures, but it would be interesting to see how some of the groupings work themselves out. 

EUROPE

01. The EU25 + Romania, Bulgaria (to be in 2007) Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro, Vojvodina, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Liechtenstein

02. Belarus + Ukraine + Russia

2a. Moldova to either split or wholly join 01. or 02. (Trans-Dniester conflict)

03. Albania + Kosovo + Serbia (to join 01. eventually?)

AFRICA

04. Morocco, Western Sahara, Mauritania, Mali, Chad, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya

05. Egypt, Northern Sudan, Eritrea

06. South Africa + Swaziland + Lesotho + Namibia + Botswana + Zimbabwe

07. The rest of Africa + Madagascar + Seychelles + Mauritius, others off Atlantic and Indian African coasts

AMERICAS

08. Brazil

09. Argentina + Uruguay + Chile + Paraguay

10. Bolivia + Peru + Ecuador + Colombia + Venezuela

11. Guianas + Lesser Antilles

12. Mexico + Central America + Greater Antilles

13. USA + Canada + Greenland

Eventually, 08-12. all together?

PACIFIC

14. Pacific Islands

15. Australia + New Zealand + Papua New Guinea + Timor-Leste

ASIA

16. Turkey (if not EU) + Iran + Azerbaijan + Kazakhstan + Uzbekistan + Tajikistan + Kyrgyzstan + Turkmenistan + Afghanistan + breakaway Caucasian republics

17. Georgia + Armenia

18. Arabian Peninsula + Jordan + Syria + Palestine (perhaps with 05.)

19. Lebanon

20. Israel

21. Jerusalem (belonging to no one)

22. Pakistan + India + Nepal + Tibet + Bhutan + Bangladesh + Sri Lanka + Indian Ocean islands not off coast of Africa

23. Burma + Thailand + Mainland SE Asia + Philippines + Malaysia + Indonesia + Brunei + Singapore

24. remainder of PRC + Taiwan + Mongolia + Korea + Japan

it's always the same history...americans wanting to do it their way with strengh

duh?  :suspect:  

#1 - It was Faster, a Canadian, who proposed the thesis.  I merely went along and pointed out some good to come out of it.

#2 - You can't seem to distinguish between what is serious and what isn't -- and then you come up some nationalistic put down.  Well, you Italians and Spaniards -- much as I like you for the most part, sometimes are kinda dumb here!  There.

Another good thesis of mine is that India and China need to go to war and kick the sh!t out of each other. It might solve some over-population problems.

Baron think you can work this?

well, India can start it on the pretext that it will preempt the outbreak of the Avian flu which is sure to start from China.  

And I hope they do it before August 2008 so a certain host nation doesn't get to hog all the medals there.   :P

Hungarians and Finns are ethnicly similar, not to mention they both are members of a very small linguistic group. Hungary is an oddball like Basque. The reason I even know there is a connection lingusiticly and ethnicly between Finland and Hungary is because of a Hungarian.

Funny you should say that because it was a Hungarian acquaintance of mine many years ago who poured scorn on any notion that his country had any connection with Finland.

The two languages are only distantly related,nothing like as close as,say,German and Dutch or Spanish and Italian.I got the impression from my friend that Hungarians like to think of themselves as unique and special in Europe,like the Basques you mentioned.Ethnically,they resemble a typical stocky Cental European whereas Finns tend to be tall and blond like their Scandinavian neighbours.

As for the Germans and the Dutch,I'm going to be put up against a wall and shot here,I guess! But I've always thought of a Dutchman as a German gone slightly wrong.Their languages are very close (especially in written form) and "Dutch" is only a variant of "Deutsch" ie."German" anyway!

I think of them as brothers who have had typical family tiffs in the past but,in the end,are still the same family!!  :;):

Now go ahead and shoot me!!!  :cry:

As for the Germans and the Dutch,I'm going to be put up against a wall and shot here,I guess! But I've always thought of a Dutchman as a German gone slightly wrong.Their languages are very close (especially in written form) and "Dutch" is only a variant of "Deutsch" ie."German" anyway!

I think of them as brothers who have had typical family tiffs in the past but,in the end,are still the same family!!  :;):

You left out the Austrians -- the bastard cousins of the Australians!  And then of course the French, who despite all their denials, are really Francs -- hence, from the Frankfurt area.  So, the Vichy government was no surprise to me.

You left out the Austrians -- the bastard cousins of the Australians!  And then of course the French, who despite all their denials, are really Francs -- hence, from the Frankfurt area.  So, the Vichy government was no surprise to me.

I suppose when you think about it,many of us started off as Germans at some point,eg.Anglo-Saxons,Francs,Dutchmen,the British Royal Family etc etc.

Deutschland is the universal home,nicht war??  :cool:

Europe:

1. Britain and Ireland

2. Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, and Wallonia.

3. Flanders, Netherlands, Germany, Liechteinstein, Switzerland and Austria

4. Iceland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden

8. Greece

9. Turkey

So 51 nations, in 9 countries, sounds good eh Bernie?

Africa

1. Mauritania, Mali, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Lubya, Egypt

2. Senegel, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Cote d'Ivoire, Ghana, Togo, benin, Sao Tome e Principle

3. Niger, Chad, Nigeria, Cameroon, Central Africa Republic, Sudan

5. Ethiopia

7. Zambia, Malawi, Comoro, Mauritius, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, Botswana, South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland

8. Mozambique, Madagascar

54 nations in 8 countries, even batter, now we are at 14 total, fairly good compression

Asia

3. Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia, Timor, Phillipines

4. Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Takikastin, Kyrgyzstan

5. Iran

45 nations in 6 countries,

So far I have reduced a 150+ to 23

1. Australia, Papua New Guinea, New Zealand

2. All the Polynesian Islands

20ish countries in 2, not bad

The Americas

2. Brazil

3. Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Dominican Republic, Cuba

4. Belize, Jamaica, Bahamas and all the other Caribbean islands

5. Canada and the USA

60ish nations in 5 countries

So there you have it all 200 countries and the other 100ish territories now compressed into 30 countries, Bernie heres your heaven.

Stop misrepresenting my opinions. I've never argued for the reformation of old countries/empires, only against the splitting of present ones.

For instance, I do not advocate the reforging of links between the UK and the Irish Republic, but I would definitely be against Scotland, NI or Wales leaving the Union.

Italy-Spain-Andorra-Portugal would work. Our languages are nearly the same, our character is the same and we're phisically equal. :oops:

Funny you should say that because it was a Hungarian acquaintance of mine many years ago who poured scorn on any notion that his country had any connection with Finland.

The two languages are only distantly related,nothing like as close as,say,German and Dutch or Spanish and Italian.I got the impression from my friend that Hungarians like to think of themselves as unique and special in Europe,like the Basques you mentioned.Ethnically,they resemble a typical stocky Cental European whereas Finns tend to be tall and blond like their Scandinavian neighbours.

You asked for it:

execution.jpg

Dutch is in a way a more archaic (and clearly superior :wink:) form of Germanic than German. High German (= official German) underwent the Second Germanic consonant shift (appel became apfel) between the 3rd and 5th centuries AD, Dutch (and Low German for that matter) did not. However, Dutch is not a Low German language but a Low Franconian language.

benrath.jpg

Germany is a great trade partner and we Dutchies don't have big problems with them anymore. The war is forgotten (although some people in Rotterdam are still pissed about the destruction of what was once the most beautiful city in The Netherlands) and we are even starting to recover from the lost world cup final in 1974 (some of us can even admit the Germans were the better team on the day). Sharing a country with them is a bridge the far though, we still need our bicycles back :blush:

Archived