The official 'Ask Puppy' thread!

why does the earth spin around to the east?

As the classic 2003 film 'The Core' explains - a series of disturbances caused by instability in the Earth's magnetic field lead geologists to learn that the Earth's molten core has stopped rotating. They use Stanley Tucci and some nukes to get it restarted.

I'm assuming that at some point in the very distant past dinosaurs noticed the original western spin was also petering out and sent down an intrepid team featuring a stegosaurus and maybe William Hurt and let off their versions of nukes that rebooted the core - but backwards.

Otherwise I assume its China's fault.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TNMP

Why does everyone hate America AND China?

Great question.

In regards to China. I think people have a general unease because China is throwing its weight around to a rather absurd degree. For decades during the 20th century China looked internally and basically chose to have nothing to do with the ‘West’. In those decades great strong ties with their neighbours have been built – Japan/Philippines/South Korea/Taiwan etc – with America – leaving China with little real bargaining power apart from military strength.

Then the 70’s came in and the policies changed, China has (in a way) let the world in and have been stumped that not everyone has rushed to kneel by their side. I think that the Chinese thought their weight of pure humanity would propel them immediately to global importance. In some ways it has – the lure of such a huge market is immense – despite the fact that many companies through corruption and ridiculous “ownership percentage” laws end up making little money.

China realised they needed to muscle up and act the bully. And sadly for the most part the West has let them have their way. Up until the stupid “we own all the South China Sea” rubbish. I asked a Chinese friend about the maritime border dispute and their reaction was “it has China in the name”. Sadly my retort of “India isn’t claiming all of the Indian Ocean’ got met with a blank stare...

China makes it hard to love them. However there is not much out there to challenge their global might. Russia is just a loud bully, India appears to need another few generations (if ever) to sort their sh!t out and the USA is too busy dicking around the Middle East.

As for the USA. American culture has been so pervasive for so long. The US has rightly or wrongly been the dominant force politically and culturally for decades. With the internet making the world a much smaller place the nay sayers have been easily able to gather and turn up the anti-US rhetoric.

Their ‘world police’ attitude mixed with a general air of condescension towards other countries and cultures has ran its course. The world media – once very much London/NYC centric is everywhere and easily accessible – and that means new voices who aren’t friendly are shouting louder.

In all honesty the odious politics of George W Bush really killed off any post 9/11 sympathy. Obama seemed like he could turn around world opinion but that did not happen. The constant political infighting, ridiculous Republican VS Democrats sh!t, plus all the gun rubbish – ugh. Yuck.

Your much admired freedom of speech laws have allowed some truly evil bastards to spread hate. Sadly they are the ones shouting the loudest and are getting noticed. Some ground has been won back with the gay marriage thing – but that has probably cost the US some fans too.

I love the USA. Most Americans I have come into contact with have been nice. However after a couple of weeks I am glad to be heading home.

Great question.

In regards to China. I think people have a general unease because China is throwing its weight around to a rather absurd degree. For decades during the 20th century China looked internally and basically chose to have nothing to do with the ‘West’. In those decades great strong ties with their neighbours have been built – Japan/Philippines/South Korea/Taiwan etc – with America – leaving China with little real bargaining power apart from military strength.

Then the 70’s came in and the policies changed, China has (in a way) let the world in and have been stumped that not everyone has rushed to kneel by their side. I think that the Chinese thought their weight of pure humanity would propel them immediately to global importance. In some ways it has – the lure of such a huge market is immense – despite the fact that many companies through corruption and ridiculous “ownership percentage” laws end up making little money.

China realised they needed to muscle up and act the bully. And sadly for the most part the West has let them have their way. Up until the stupid “we own all the South China Sea” rubbish. I asked a Chinese friend about the maritime border dispute and their reaction was “it has China in the name”. Sadly my retort of “India isn’t claiming all of the Indian Ocean’ got met with a blank stare...

China makes it hard to love them. However there is not much out there to challenge their global might. Russia is just a loud bully, India appears to need another few generations (if ever) to sort their sh!t out and the USA is too busy dicking around the Middle East.

As for the USA. American culture has been so pervasive for so long. The US has rightly or wrongly been the dominant force politically and culturally for decades. With the internet making the world a much smaller place the nay sayers have been easily able to gather and turn up the anti-US rhetoric.

Their ‘world police’ attitude mixed with a general air of condescension towards other countries and cultures has ran its course. The world media – once very much London/NYC centric is everywhere and easily accessible – and that means new voices who aren’t friendly are shouting louder.

In all honesty the odious politics of George W Bush really killed off any post 9/11 sympathy. Obama seemed like he could turn around world opinion but that did not happen. The constant political infighting, ridiculous Republican VS Democrats sh!t, plus all the gun rubbish – ugh. Yuck.

Your much admired freedom of speech laws have allowed some truly evil bastards to spread hate. Sadly they are the ones shouting the loudest and are getting noticed. Some ground has been won back with the gay marriage thing – but that has probably cost the US some fans too.

I love the USA. Most Americans I have come into contact with have been nice. However after a couple of weeks I am glad to be heading home.

Well thanks TNMP, very insightful.

excuse me...

do you know how to post some youtube video here just like in the ceremonies on utube thread???

Just copy the videos url and paste it in the reply space.

Hard to tell. Definitely a case for Puppy.

The video works at my end. Kudos!

Thoughts an Alabama?

Very few and far between.

What is the difference between Aussie rules and rugby league and which one is more interesting to watch and why?

Slightly different balls. Rugby league you can only pass backwards. AFL you have to wear tighter shorts. AFL is a faster, easier to watch sport in my opinion. Rugby is a more technical game. However CAF I would have to say that rugby players tend to be easier on the eye and I feel that may sway your opinion.

Will I have rainbows, day after day?

Que sera sera my dear friend. (Being a more flamboyant gentleman don't you have a rainbow following you at all times?)

Rabbitohs or Bulldogs?

What is this fuckery you speak of? Who cares? (Lets say Rabbitohs to reward Rusty for being a man of his word)

Would you make party hard with queen Elizabeth?

I would love a candid sit down with Liz. Oh the tales she would tell. I'd pop a bottle of vodka, call in the corgis and just tell her to tell me what she truly thinks about her reign. It is a tragedy that she will never write a memoir. What a life.

Will Australia eventually become a republic?

if you could ban one member?

I know you want me to say Tony. I want to say Tony. But for his own mental health - Baron :lol: . Let's be honest he will have an alias up and running five minutes later (or use one of the copious amount he already has...) but I would love to witness that moment of pure unadulterated terror and rage he would have seeing his login details fail.

Will Australia eventually become a republic?

In a way. But not for a long time. The political motivation for any real constitutional change has been pretty much snuffed out. Factor in a pretty legit affection for Liz and most of her grandkids it will be a good while before another referendum comes to pass. Either way we'd stay in the Commonwealth.

The Republic of Western Australia?

Gina Reinhard would love that idea.

Gillard or Rudd?

Gillard. I was a big Rudd supporter at first - however his ego has left me unimpressed. Some of the tales of his temper and sense of entitlement are breathtaking. I have heard that Julia can be dismissive with stupid questions - but no-one has anything really bad to say about her character. Not so with Rudd. Rudd's first 100 days in office will go down in Aussie political history though. We all had such high hopes Kevo would continue along that path of just getting stuff done... Didn't happen... Sad...

Or Abbott?

Who's your pick for next prime minister of Canada?

Abbott? I'd rather move to Russia then deal with a second term of that whining little prat. Thus I am on realestate.ru as I type...

As for Canada? Rob Ford or Alanis Morissette. They are the only Canadians of note these days, no? Or those two Sochi gold winning gals who came second on The Amazing Race Canada last week. One of them is kind of cute, The other? Not so much.

Archived