Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mainad

It's official-Americans speak English!

I must admit I was never really sure about this until now...but who am I to argue with the mighty US Senate??  :laughlong:

Article in today's Independent:

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americ...ticle548909.ece

Remind me again, how is having an official language racist?

usa is just made up of germans and spanish...and a mix breed of the rest of the world....what does it even mean to be american?

It's about time.  I am all for bi-culturalism, having come from immigrant roots myself (the Baron's family, of course  :laughlong: ) but I am tired of having to pay and see ballots and official signage in 7 languages!

Now, if we can only change that unsingeable "Star Spanglish Banner" to "America the Beautiful."  I had hoped they had done that in time for the Centennial Games in Atlanta.

usa is just made up of germans and spanish...and a mix breed of the rest of the world....what does it even mean to be american?

Um, well, I always thoughtamericans where mostly Irish/Scottish/Anglo, and a bit of Italian and Scandanavian, and African. It really doesn't mean anythng to be an american really. All the people say "Oh, I'm from Scotland, and sweden, not that they are american. I can see no way in which the english language is racist. Sure, its not spanish, but It cerntanly spoken by the majority. BUt than again, Why do we care about languages. Whatever....

It's about time.  I am all for bi-culturalism, having come from immigrant roots myself (the Baron's family, of course  :laughlong: ) but I am tired of having to pay and see ballots and official signage in 7 languages!

Now, if we can only change that unsingeable "Star Spanglish Banner" to "America the Beautiful."  I had hoped they had done that in time for the Centennial Games in Atlanta.

I prefer My Country tis of Thee, but it sounds like God save the queen,but then again Lichestein's anthem has that tune.

Coming from a South African thats rich.

Spanish ... yes.

Germans ... wtf, think more along the lines of Irish/English/Scotish.

Wikipedia has the following to say on the matter:

German Americans are the largest self-reported ethnic group in the United States today.

According to the 2000 U.S. census, 47 million Americans are of German ancestry. German Americans represent 16% of the total U.S. population and 24% of the non-Hispanic white population. Only 1.5 million of these speak German.

Of the four major U.S. regions, German was the most-reported ancestry in the Midwest, second in the West, and third in the Northeast and South regions. German was the top reported ancestry in 23 states, and it was one of the top five reported ancestries in every state except Maine and Rhode Island.

That explains why those rednecks are so lame...

Spanish ... yes.

German Americans are the largest self-reported ethnic group in the United States today.

According to the 2000 U.S. census, 47 million Americans are of German ancestry. German Americans represent 16% of the total U.S. population and 24% of the non-Hispanic white population. Only 1.5 million of these speak German.

Of the four major U.S. regions, German was the most-reported ancestry in the Midwest, second in the West, and third in the Northeast and South regions. German was the top reported ancestry in 23 states, and it was one of the top five reported ancestries in every state except Maine and Rhode Island.

Thats rude, its not like we are calling you a doped up prostitute using Dutchman.

Spanish ... yes.

Thats rude, its not like we are calling you a doped up prostitute using Dutchman.

Probably because that's only 50% accurate whereas rednecks are 100% lame

I love how some folks here see themselves as some pure blooded culture that are above pluralist societies like Canada, the USA and Australia - yet if you look at the histories of these nations, they too are a bunch of bastards.

What does it mean to be anything if your only pleasure is looking down on others?  Squat.

I love how some folks here see themselves as some pure blooded culture that are above pluralist societies like Canada, the USA and Australia - yet if you look at the histories of these nations, they too are a bunch of bastards.

What does it mean to be anything if your only pleasure is looking down on others?  Squat.

I would rather be a pluralist national, since then i can look at and see more then one culture as signifcant and important to me personally.

germans own USA? so where are the nazis...#### is hitler in the US?

yeah well south africa is rich in culture...so i cant argue with u there...everyone is just a bit fragile when USA is mentioned...a bit too defensive...ignore my comments and eat apple pie...

germans own USA? so where are the nazis...#### is hitler in the US?

yeah well south africa is rich in culture...so i cant argue with u there...everyone is just a bit fragile when USA is mentioned...a bit too defensive...ignore my comments and eat apple pie...

sorry i can't speak that well right now it seems that some a$$hole is putting words into my mouth.

South Africa is as big of a mutt as Canada, the US or Australia.

Spanish ... yes.

Well, we are both living in the northeast currently, and here your either of Celtic/anglo orignin, hispanic orighin, or African heritange. Didn't know about the Midwest, but then again, who cares about them, its a bunch of cornfields and small towns, save chicago.

I prefer My Country tis of Thee, but it sounds like God save the queen,but then again Lichestein's anthem has that tune.

I was watching the Preakness race from Pimlico earlier this afternoon, and the Annapolis Men's Choir sang: "Maryland, My  Maryland" at the opening.  Didn't realize that the melody is "O Tannenbaum"'s.  

P.S. Favorite and Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro had a false start; and then when the actual race got underway, he had to pull out early, and then was limping gingerly.  It seems he got a bad sprained ankle.  THen the similarly named Berberini won the race.

people from more pure-blood cultures tend to be prettier. americans and canadians are quite ugly in comparison. when you mix too many cultures over centuries, you lose particular culture's unique individuality and everything becomes bland.

subjective? maybe. but they tend to do more modelling and have more desirable looks.

uhmmm...beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

read the last part of my post.

English is a germanic language made with 30% of french rooted words and 30% of latin words imported in England by normans from France.

So german, french, spanish or italian are all winners inside English. *proud to be french*

:unclesam:

I actually think Americans, Canadians and Australians have some of the best looking people around. The Japanese and Korean women are also high on my list and so are Norwegians and Swedes. I find French to be very unattractive.

I actually think Americans, Canadians and Australians have some of the best looking people around. The Japanese and Korean women are also high on my list and so are Norwegians and Swedes. I find French to be very unattractive.

You need someone is your life really, also best canadians are eastern ones :) eheheh (if americans, canadians and aussies can be considered people, and not children of ancestors) ehehehe

Didn't know about the Midwest, but then again, who cares about them, its a bunch of cornfields and small towns, save chicago.

Bite me Semus - I'm from a small town and our house was surrounded by cornfields.   :angry:

Of course, I escaped that and became the fabulous sophisticated icon that I am today.    :;):

As to the whole English thing - it's about time.  This should of been done years ago but due to "political correctness," was always put on the back burner.   :unclesam: