Nice-Alpes Françaises 2030

13 hours ago, FYI said:

Much like Brisbane 2032 seems funny after the likes of Beijing, London, Rio, Tokyo, Paris & L.A. But at least Nice has that Mediterranean flare going for it.

I took it as “Nice” (en Provence) versus “nice” (attractive, appealing, good). It’s already done me in a few times here on the board - I’ve literally said Nice is nice.

I still like the vibe of a Nice games over a Grenoble games. Gives it its own identity rather than a 1968 redux.

32 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

I still like the vibe of a Nice games over a Grenoble games. Gives it its own identity rather than a 1968 redux.

I get that, you've made that very clear on here. But considering that many of us here weren't even alive in 1968, I wouldn't necessarily view a(nother) Grenoble winter Games as a re-do. It's been long enough that Grenoble would've been considered more fresh (as opposed to another L.A. & Australian Games so much sooner), & more importantly more fitting & 'winter-Y' than Nice is for a Winter Olympics. 

For as much nostalgia Lillehammer gets here, as well as the desire for a Swedish Winter Games, I'm kinda surprised that aspect gets pretty lost when it comes to France. I'm certainly not disappointed about Nice, but a more wintery setting for 2030 would've been "Nice"-er. :D

On 2/28/2024 at 1:40 PM, FYI said:

I get that, you've made that very clear on here. But considering that many of us here weren't even alive in 1968, I wouldn't necessarily view a(nother) Grenoble winter Games as a re-do. It's been long enough that Grenoble would've been considered more fresh (as opposed to another L.A. & Australian Games so much sooner), & more importantly more fitting & 'winter-Y' than Nice is for a Winter Olympics. 

For as much nostalgia Lillehammer gets here, as well as the desire for a Swedish Winter Games, I'm kinda surprised that aspect gets pretty lost when it comes to France. I'm certainly not disappointed about Nice, but a more wintery setting for 2030 would've been "Nice"-er. :D

Grenoble winning for 1968 was a fluke though.  If you read some of the descriptions of Grenoble when it was picked, they go like " . . . Grenoble, a grey, industrial city in the mountains."  So it's no majestic Annecy or photogenic Aspen-like setting to begin with, hence even the local city fathers, let alone the CNOF, seem to be loathe to put it forward for another bid again.  I'm surprised Annecy was quiet this time.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Grenoble winning for 1968 was a fluke though.  If you read some of the descriptions of Grenoble when it was picked, they go like " . . . Grenoble, a grey, industrial city in the mountains."  So it's no majestic Annecy or photogenic Aspen-like setting to begin with, hence even the local city fathers, let alone the CNOF, seem to be loathe to put it forward for another bid again.  I'm surprised Annecy was quiet this time.  

Hmmmm, doesn’t seem to look very industrial-like: 

Maybe back in the 60’s it was more like that, but not so much now? Looks to be quite charming & photogenic here. 
spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

3 hours ago, Roger87 said:

Grenoble passed for a series of urban redesign since the Olympics. The same happened with Lille. 

But again, the IOC can't dismiss the luxury of Nice-Cannes zone. 

The IOC (or the French NOC) also can‘t force a city that‘s not interested.

4 hours ago, Roger87 said:

Grenoble passed for a series of urban redesign since the Olympics. The same happened with Lille. 

That's good to know.

4 hours ago, Roger87 said:

But again, the IOC can't dismiss the luxury of Nice-Cannes zone. 

Well, it's not like they had much of a choice anyway, if not much else in France was really interested.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

My money is on the France's 2030 Winter Olympics being the next **** storm.

@Australian Kiwi 

I share this fear. Not so much because of the question of sports facilities (even if there are some points to clarify such as speed skating; but I think we will go with temporary facilities in the end thanks to the experience of Paris 2024), but above all from a political point of view. Basically, the French Alps candidacy was two competing candidacies (one from PACA region, the other one from Rhone-Alpes region) that we decided to "merge" a little forcefully. And therefore everyone wants their share of the cake; but it's not big enough for everyone.

(I will also have to be explained to me why the IOC judged that it was more important to award 2032 before 2030. It's a shame.)

• Like 1

That was the GB's article that had AF claiming that it was nothing but "conspiracy theories being thrashed around". And reading it all over again now (cause it is quite lengthy), all I can do is just SMH.

And doing so, it seems quite clear that the "new-norm" was more than likely conjured up just for Brisbane. Even the double-award of Paris & L.A. also had JC's mitts all over it. Cause without that, Brisbane 2032 would've stuck out, even more than it already did, like a sore thumb with it's 11-year lead time. 

Forgot all about how Bach had a difficult time of it trying to get a haircut during the pandemic. But of course no difficulty whatsoever in getting an Olympic host city 11-years out, though. lol

• 4 weeks later...

@yoshi I'm changing the topic because we were starting to stray quite a bit from the question of the opening ceremony.

Concerning the sites of the French Alps 2030 candidacy, here is what the latest version gives. Speed skating is not yet included, but it should probably be in Nice.

spacer.png

In reality, if there were not all these political considerations linked to doing everything in two regions, the Nice tests could clearly have been held in Grenoble, and instead of calling it "French Alps 2030" it could simply have been “Grenoble 2030”. Above all, unlike Nice, Grenoble is a city where ice sports, such as ice hockey, are quite popular.

6 minutes ago, sebastien1214 said:

@yoshi I'm changing the topic because we were starting to stray quite a bit from the question of the opening ceremony.

Concerning the sites of the French Alps 2030 candidacy, here is what the latest version gives. Speed skating is not yet included, but it should probably be in Nice.

spacer.png

In reality, if there were not all these political considerations linked to doing everything in two regions, the Nice tests could clearly have been held in Grenoble, and instead of calling it "French Alps 2030" it could simply have been “Grenoble 2030”. Above all, unlike Nice, Grenoble is a city where ice sports, such as ice hockey, are quite popular.

Ïnteresting. Maybe this is the final political deal to avoid a confrontation between Wauquiez and Mussier?

3 minutes ago, Roger87 said:

Ïnteresting. Maybe this is the final political deal to avoid a confrontation between Wauquiez and Mussier?

The main principles of this candidacy are based on political agreements, including the distribution of candidacy sites. Indeed, Wauquiez & Muselier (the two regional presidents) were forced by the CNOSF to make these agreements. And the two don't like each other that much so...

This is also the reason why I doubt that the name will be renamed to "Nice 2030", or even "Nice-French Alps 2030": I have a hard time seeing Wauquiez accepting that. He will run for president in 2027, the mayor of Nice supports Macron, Wauquiez is anti-Macron to such an extent that he even flirts with the political line of Zemmour/Le Pen. For that alone, it could be enough to prevent a change of name (it would be quite childish but welcome to French political life).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sebastien1214 said:

The main principles of this candidacy are based on political agreements, including the distribution of candidacy sites. Indeed, Wauquiez & Muselier (the two regional presidents) were forced by the CNOSF to make these agreements. And the two don't like each other that much so...

This is also the reason why I doubt that the name will be renamed to "Nice 2030", or even "Nice-French Alps 2030": I have a hard time seeing Wauquiez accepting that. He will run for president in 2027, the mayor of Nice supports Macron, Wauquiez is anti-Macron to such an extent that he even flirts with the political line of Zemmour/Le Pen. For that alone, it could be enough to prevent a change of name (it would be quite childish but welcome to French political life).

Yeah, Wauquiez is the hawn right of Les Republicains, although per economics is closer to Zemmour than Le Pen (Her economic programme is more akin to the "development" thought from Brazilian government than full hard neoliberalism. But even then, considering his recent fortunes inside the party, I think he'll need to swallow some pride and accept this if he wants that piece of cake. 

2 hours ago, Cyriln said:

The closing ceremony should be at Nice but not in a stadium: it is planned to be on the seaside, at the Promenade des Anglais.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Tous-sports/Actualites/La-ceremonie-de-cloture-des-jo-2030-devrait-se-derouler-en-bord-de-mer-a-nice/1463385

Well, here is already a lasting legacy of Paris 2024 even though these Games have not started. The impression that a certain Australian city of the West East coast will look with the greatest attention at Nice's plans...

• Haha 1

From Gamesbids (https://gamesbids.com/eng/winter-olympic-bids/french-alps-2030-winter-olympics-bid-could-cost-2-billion-euros-work-needed-to-develop-ice-cluster-in-nice/ )

"In Nice, a new arena is set to be built and an already planned convention center will be constructed and will host the main media center. Temporary ice facilities will also be erected, leveraging existing Allianz Riviera Stadium.

The opening ceremony location has not been planned but is expected to take place in the North with the mountains as a backdrop.

“Mountains to play a role in the opening ceremony,” Wauquiez said.

The closing ceremony is set to take place in Nice and Mayor Christian Estrosi said Thursday that the Promenade des Anglais could be an open air venue for the event."

What do we think about Allianz Riviera stadium being used for ice competitions and not ceremonies? I do really like the opening ceremonies being held in the mountains as opposed to an urban city. Could give it a Pyeongchang vibe I liked a lot where the stadium was right in front of the mountain venues. I'm just not a fan of the allianz riviera stadium being used for ice competitions. It could cause a lot of damage to sightlines and cheapen overall feel of the olympics. they'd have to add a temporary roof as well. Do not like that the new norm is going to these extreme levels. The allianz concept reminds me a lot of the Stockholm-Are 2026 bid where the Tele2 stadium would be split in half for ice rinks. Did not like it then and do not like it now. 

10 hours ago, venuedesignlover said:

From Gamesbids (https://gamesbids.com/eng/winter-olympic-bids/french-alps-2030-winter-olympics-bid-could-cost-2-billion-euros-work-needed-to-develop-ice-cluster-in-nice/ )

"In Nice, a new arena is set to be built and an already planned convention center will be constructed and will host the main media center. Temporary ice facilities will also be erected, leveraging existing Allianz Riviera Stadium.

The opening ceremony location has not been planned but is expected to take place in the North with the mountains as a backdrop.

“Mountains to play a role in the opening ceremony,” Wauquiez said.

The closing ceremony is set to take place in Nice and Mayor Christian Estrosi said Thursday that the Promenade des Anglais could be an open air venue for the event."

What do we think about Allianz Riviera stadium being used for ice competitions and not ceremonies? I do really like the opening ceremonies being held in the mountains as opposed to an urban city. Could give it a Pyeongchang vibe I liked a lot where the stadium was right in front of the mountain venues. I'm just not a fan of the allianz riviera stadium being used for ice competitions. It could cause a lot of damage to sightlines and cheapen overall feel of the olympics. they'd have to add a temporary roof as well. Do not like that the new norm is going to these extreme levels. The allianz concept reminds me a lot of the Stockholm-Are 2026 bid where the Tele2 stadium would be split in half for ice rinks. Did not like it then and do not like it now. 

I think it has nothing to do with the new norm, but just a legitimate concern not to build unnecessary infrastructure. This was already a major issue in France during the Paris bid (2017), and it was before the new norm. Nice does not need an ice rink for more than 10,000 people. There's not even any potential for that.

Basically, the bid envisaged the construction of 2 ice rinks in Nice, it was far too many. There, today the project only offers one ice rink to be built with 7,500 seats (4,500 after the Olympics), which is already much better.

I would 100 times prefer that we sacrifice a little of the "atmosphere of the games" rather than building useless things just to satisfy this atmosphere, things that will become a burden in the years to come for the host cities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yoshi said:

Won't you have to put a roof on that lovely stadium though... Could Marseille get involved?

I don't think Marseille will be involved, they have a slightly bigger ice rink, but not enough for the Olympics.

Beyond the question of the roof to be installed (temporary? permanent?), I am quite surprised that they are thinking of using the stadium given that it is occupied by OGC Nice and that the Winter Olympic Games will take place in full championship season. This will force them to move for several months, which is not ideal.