Nice-Alpes Françaises 2030

26 minutes ago, Bear said:

I would assume the wording of the charter, by using "or other entities, such as regions, states or countries, as host of the Olympic Games." allows them to use geographic names in the designation.

Sure, as long as a municipality is involved. But last time I checked, a mountain range is not "a" municipality.

28 minutes ago, Bear said:

There is actually precedent where the Games was designated to a location that is neither a city, town, region, state, or country - the 1960 Winter Olympics (which I will refer to Olympic Valley as the actual name used at the time is in fact a slur). Olympic Valley was not a city or town at the time, but a valley and a tiny ski resort. Yet, the Games were referred to as Olympic Valley 1960 (or Lake Tahoe 1960 during the Beijing opening).

That was EONS ago, though. And as you inferred to last night, the Charter has been amended many times since even Vancouver 2010. Again, the Charter also states "in principle" it should be a city. Plus, back then, the IOC was just so enamored that an entire ski-resort was going to be constructed in basically their honor (that perception never seems to change). 

32 minutes ago, Bear said:

Again, I don't really think the designation necessarily relates this deeply to the actual venue plan in this case. The Swedish project was referred to as "Sweden" rather than "Stockholm Are" and the IOC did not make a comment like this to the Swedish project. But true, 2038 is still a long time away so I wouldn't also doubt if things change between now and then.

Was it referred to as Sweden? Cause I always remember reading Stockholm-Are. Maybe a few media outlets called it Sweden. But even there, why would the IOC say anything about that to Stockholm, Sweden, whatever when basically the IOC wasn't even interested in them in the end anyway. As for Switzerland, if the IOC is telling them to centralize their plan more, like for example something that centers more around Zurich or Berne, I can't see that still being called "Switzerland 203x".

18 minutes ago, FYI said:

Sure, as long as a municipality is involved.

the charter does not say this

20 minutes ago, FYI said:

Again, the Charter also states "in principle" it should be a city.

in principle

phrase of principle

used to indicate that although something is theoretically possible, it may not actually happen.
"in principle, the banks are entitled to withdraw these loans when necessary"

24 minutes ago, FYI said:

Was it referred to as Sweden? Cause I always remember reading Stockholm-Are. Maybe a few media outlets called it Sweden.

The IOC Feasibility Assessment refers to it as "Sweden", compared to the SLC report where the phrase "Salt Lake City-Utah" is used.

8 minutes ago, Bear said:

the charter does not say this

The Charter states (which you quoted yourself) - "other entities, such as regions, states or countries, as host of the Olympic Games". 

Again, last time I checked, a mountain range is not any of those. That said, come to think of it, Provence 'Alpes', Cote d'Azur where Nice is located, has Alps in it. So presumably, that's how they're able to get away with that. Still too long-winding & confusing for marketing/branding purposes.

16 minutes ago, Bear said:

in principle

phrase of principle

used to indicate that although something is theoretically possible, it may not actually happen.
"in principle, the banks are entitled to withdraw these loans when necessary"

• I know what "in principle" means. That's why I had "should" right after it. :rolleyes: But the other side of that coin, is that it usually happens, vs. where it may not.
19 minutes ago, Bear said:

The IOC Feasibility Assessment refers to it as "Sweden", compared to the SLC report where the phrase "Salt Lake City-Utah" is used.

I don't remember that. But I'll take your word for it. I'm not really as anal on those reports & assessments like a few others around here are about them. Usually the Olympic news in the GB's newswire section is sufficient enough.

For me, the big question is-- since France is all but the certain host for 2030, how they (IOC) will slot the Double-Awarding moment so that, of course, as Paris 2024 plays out, they can ride out next summer's Olympic fever for six years' hence when the whole party will move to their SE corner -- and do what LA 2028 will be doing to drum up the excitement for Salt Lake 2034 when it's LA's turn in '28.  

8 hours ago, FYI said:

I'm not really as anal on those reports & assessments like a few others around here are about them

french alps

I read this one carefully and I must say I don't find it really serious.

• the venue masterplan plan is not the right one. Val d'Isère and Isola 2000 are missing.
  • Figure skating / short track are located in "palais des expositions Acropolis" which is currently being destroyed! (and will be replaced by a garden). I'm still wondering where it will finally be...:blink:
  • there is no study on snow cover in 2030. (many people are wondering about this, legitimately)

1 hour ago, AustralianFanGPT said:

A nice set of Alps in 2030 would probably have majestic snow-capped peaks, lush green valleys, and crystal-clear alpine lakes. Imagine charming villages with cozy chalets, where the air is crisp and the scenery is like a postcard come to life. Whether you're into skiing, hiking, or just enjoying the view, a nice set of Alps would offer a perfect blend of natural beauty and outdoor adventure.

It's not the Switzerland topic here! ;)

10 minutes ago, AustralianFanGPT said:

Ah, my apologies for the mix-up!

If you're referring specifically to the French Alps in 2030, imagine the same picturesque scenes with a French flair. Majestic peaks like Mont Blanc, charming villages with rustic chalets, and perhaps a touch of that Mediterranean influence from nearby Nice. The French Alps, in 2030 or any time, would offer a delightful combination of natural beauty and outdoor excitement, making it a perfect destination for various activities and a feast for the senses.

C'est bon! C'est bon!

To “AustralianFan GPT”:    Your mischievous creation of a duplicate profile on gamesbids.com has just been separately reported.

Following this post, you are both blocked and reported.

• Like 1

I'm quite curious about the skating oval.

There's no way France is going abroad for that.

So the first question is: temporary or permanent? My guess is permanent.

Second question: AURA or PACA? That's a much harder question. There are at least two mega-sized egos involved.

12 minutes ago, Sigh said:

AURA or PACA? That's a much harder question. There are at least two mega-sized egos involved.

AURA and PACA had each their own project. They were convinced by David Lappartient (NOC) to merge their project.
The deal is: same number of medals in each area, opening ceremony in PACA, closing ceremony in PACA.

7 minutes ago, neige said:

The deal is: same number of medals in each area, opening ceremony in PACA, closing ceremony in PACA

That does make it a bit more tricky to place the oval.

20 minutes ago, neige said:

In the feasibility assesment file, it's witten:
TBC: existing abroad oval or temporary oval

Thank you for that.

Just an explainer:

I'm in very cynical mood today and, to put it mildly, rampant chauvism is not exactly unknown when it comes to OGs. Not necessarily so obvious in the beginning but later ... . Just have a look at Italy that still is considering resurrecting Cesana because some politicians are quite open about that it would be unthinkable to go outside Italy.

As for feasibility assessments etc they are more statements of intention/marketing than what people will actually do later.

https://sportetsociete.org/2023/12/02/jo-2030-la-carte-des-alpes-francaises-provoque-deja-des-remous/

Google translation:
Olympic Games 2030: The map of the French Alps is already causing a stir
From Friday December 1, 2023, the project leaders announced that two of the resorts initially presented on the map of sites unveiled on November 7 should ultimately be excluded from the system, following the recommendations made by the Olympic institution to reduce the number of sites to be mobilized. Concretely, Val d'Isère (Savoie), for women's and men's alpine ski slaloms, and Isola 2000 (Alpes-Maritimes), for ski cross and snowboard cross are off the map and will therefore not host competitions, unless we consider a new overhaul of the project.
The announcement of this recalibration of the project – partly anticipated even before the unveiling of the map at the beginning of November – immediately aroused incomprehension on the part of the sites concerned, but also among Jean-Claude Killy, ski legend alpine, triple Olympic Champion at the 1968 Grenoble Games and honorary member of the IOC.

As he announced today in a press release: I am saddened and scandalized by the peremptory decision to withdraw Val d’Isère from the 2030 Olympics. We have thus thrown away, without analysis, without consultation and without rational basis, an entire section of the history of ski racing. [Val d'Isère should remain on the map given] the excellence of its slopes and its all existing and well-established infrastructures, its organizational expertise, its strong history and its passion for ski racing and ski racing. 'Olympism. Denouncing a decision that he considers hasty, the man who was, for years, one of the influential members of the Olympic institution after having been a key player in the organization of the Albertville 1992 Games also clarified: It's not me, it's the other. This is what I hear today. No one, in all the exchanges I have had over the last few hours, takes responsibility for this. It seems that the dialogue which was supposed to last until spring has already ended. […] I think it is important to reconsider this decision. Respected voice of French sport although in retreat for several years, Jean-Claude Killy undoubtedly hopes – with this strong declaration – that the time granted by the IOC to the candidacy to finalize its general concept will be fully used to re-examine the conditions of reception of the tests.

On 12/2/2023 at 10:15 AM, neige said:

Figure skating / short track are located in "palais des expositions Acropolis" which is currently being destroyed! (and will be replaced by a garden). I'm still wondering where it will finally be...:blink:

I now understand how figure skating can be set up in the Acropolis center. There are actually 2 parts in this center. A convention center which is currently destroyed and an exhibition center which is not destroyed. A 10000 seats ice rink will be set up in this exhibition center like for the 2000 an 2012 world championships.

On 11/17/2023 at 4:56 PM, neige said:

It seems that the bid is mainly based on several projects initiated by the mayor in recent years within the 'Eco Valley' to the west of Nice.

• A new Multimodal Exchange Hub planed for 2028

https://www.nicecotedazur.org/projets/pole-dechanges-multimodal/

"The Multimodal Exchange Hub will offer complete intermodality, enabling tram-airport connections (direct access to the airport), tram-bus (urban and intercity buses), tram-train (TGV and regional trains), tram-car (700-space park-and-ride and car-sharing stations), tram-bike (Vélo Bleu bicycles)"

• An extension of the airport planned for 2026

https://www.lefigaro.fr/nice/aeroport-de-nice-nous-devons-avoir-un-accueil-a-la-hauteur-de-la-cote-d-azur-20230518

"We anticipate 18 million passengers in the coming years. Whether it's in 2030 or 2035, we will be prepared thanks to this extension"

• A new convention center in the Eco Valley planned for 2028

https://nicepresse.com/nice-du-retard-pour-le-futur-palais-des-congres-de-la-plaine-du-var-pas-pour-celui-du-port/

"The ambition is to compete with European rivals, offering an ultra-modern Business and Innovation Center at the heart of the eco-business valley for companies and startups, near the international airport and the multimodal hub (new SNCF station, tramway...)"

Would this be suitable for hockey ice rinks?

• Several real estate projects

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/provence-alpes-cote-d-azur/alpes-maritimes/nice/et-si-la-ville-du-futur-etait-en-train-de-sortir-de-terre-a-nice-2736278.html

"The neighborhood is also connected to its environment. The center of Nice and its train station can be reached in 15 minutes. With Nice Côte d’Azur airport, the rest of the planet is accessible in 10 minutes!"

One of these real estate projects could be suitable for an olympic village!

• A new green corridor planned for 2030

https://nicepresse.com/nice-une-seconde-coulee-verte-de-20-hectares-amenagee-dans-quelques-annees/

"In its effort to turn the area into a "green lung" within the city, the Metropolis aims to offer various landscaped settings in the heart of a highly urbanized area in recent decades.To the south, plans are underway to create sports and recreational facilities. The goal: to transform it into a miniature "Central Park" of the French Riviera (the original area comprises 340 hectares)"

This could be suitable for a kind of olympic parc!

And also this project in the city center:

• A new convention center on the harbor planned for 2025

https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/societe/un-palais-des-congres-va-etre-construit-sur-le-port-de-nice-pour-remplacer-l-acropolis-7009603

"10,000 m2 of premises will be built by June 2025, for the Ocean Summit, the United Nations conference on the oceans. But there is no question that this will only be used for this international event"

It's  been announced as the media center for potential Olympic Games!

Here is an implementation on the map
226186.jpg?1700236490

Hockey will not be in the new convention center like I thought it could be. it will be the IBC.
it is now needed not one new ice rink, but two ice rinks!
here the updated map with figure skating / short track in the Acropolis exhibition center and a new extended green corridor up to it.
https://nicepresse.com/nice-de-nouveaux-visuels-et-details-sur-lextension-de-la-coulee-verte-en-images/

Here the updated map:

226687.jpg?1701629011