The Da Vinci Code

Okay, I'll confess I've read the book _ light reading, nothing profound, and took advantage of a freebie ticket to the Sydney premier.

My verdict:

As a film, okay, not horribly bad, but nothing great either. All a bit too serious for its own good.

What did stand out though is how bad Tom hanks was in the leading role. That guy must have had a triple charisma bypass before he arrived on the set. Even his make-up was appalling _ talk about looking like a washed-up old git with greasy hair.

Audrey Tatou isn't exactly bad, still good to look at, but didn't exactly light up the screen either.

Hmmm. My tip. Save your money and wait for the DVD release.

The critics have been shooting at the movie since its release yesterday.

I was never planning on seeing it because I am not too interested in its ideas and theories, too much like conspricy theories for my liking.

I'm gonna go watch it.

I've read Dan Brown's Angels and Demons, awesome book. Right now I'm reading Deception Point and plan to read Digital Fortress next.

Yea at work I've joined a book club lol.

So does that mean you can rate the bestsellers in between "meeting the meat"?

Oh gosh, your review just dashed my hopes of seeing it, Rol -- especially before I headed for Europe.  There's always something in seeing locations in films and having been there before or after.  And I was going to do a little family-tree tracing, especially the Merogovingian side of the Coubertins.  Darn.  

But, yeah, maybe I'll save my $9.00 especially since someone took my car stereo/CD player today.  Must've left the damned car open at the train station.  So they didn't break a window but they took the fairly new (since August) CD player.  

I was at the dentist the other day and I started on the new KING KONG -- the early ocean scenes.  It looked really good.  Will rent that film this weekend.

Oh gosh, your review just dashed my hopes of seeing it, Rol -- especially before I headed for Europe.  There's always something in seeing locations in films and having been there before or after.  And I was going to do a little family-tree tracing, especially the Merogovingian side of the Coubertins.  Darn.  

Actually, one thing I noticed about it was that every scene set in France was filmed at night. Now, while Paris can still look pretty after dark, it made those scenes a bit gloomier than all the British scenes, which were all set in daytime.

Hmmm, forget the Opus Dei conspiracy, this must have been Cordelia's anglo-saxon conspiracy in action.

Aren't most of the Paris scenes in the Louvre?  Their hours of operation would most likely require filming at night.

yes, that was the only time they were allowed to film.

It follows the book closely as well, which is set in about an 18-hour period, starting early evening in Paris and where the British sequences start at about dawn.

Archived