Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

baron-pierreIV

Musical version of GLADIATOR

LOl _ I can't wait to see a Gladiator chorus line!

Who's going to be writing the songs?

By the way, what's been happening with Elton John's "Lestat"?

Hey, I just realised what was missing from The Da Vinci Code movie ... showtunes.

A few numbers like Silas the mad monk leading "The Opus Dei Self-Flagellation Tango" (I can just see the high-kicks to show off their cilices), Audrey Tatou singing "How Do You Solve A Problem Like Mary Magdalene" and Tom Hanks doing a solo "Mr Cellophane" might have made it at least entertaining.

By the way, what's been happening with Elton John's "Lestat"?

LESTAT didn't fare well in its 1-month SF tryout last Nov-Dec.  Nevertheless, they were committed to a Bway opening which I think they did sometime late April.  It improved somewhat, but still carried the curse of being the 3rd of unlucky 'vampire' musicals of the last 3 or 4 years; the other 2 being Frank Wildhorn's DRACULA and then the DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES.  Anyway, the Tony nominations just came out yesterday, and LESTAT won just 2 nominations: for Carrollee Carmelo who plays LeStat's mom and one for Best Costume.  Some say it may not last past June 30.

Another interesting musical that just opened on Broadway last week after a tryout in Europe was Disney's TARZAN using the Phil Collins score.  The reviewers were wowed by the scenery and all the aerial stuff.  However, it got only 1 nomination -- a technical one; Lighting I think.  But because it's a Disney musical, it's presold mooooooonnnnnths in advance, with like a $35 million advance or something.  

THE DROWSY CHAPERONE, an old-fashioned Toronto-origniated musical seems set to sweep the Tony's this season.  

Yeah, I would like to see a musical version of THE DA VINCI CODE.

This is primarily for Roltel -- not for some musically challenged and unappreciative Gallic persons.  LESTAT just posted its Closing Notice.  Closing this weekend.  It seems Warner Bros took an $18 million blood bath on that one.   People should think twice now about hiring Elton John to write a score.

This is primarily for Roltel -- not for some musically challenged and unappreciative Gallic persons.  LESTAT just posted its Closing Notice.  Closing this weekend.  It seems Warner Bros took an $18 million blood bath on that one.   People should think twice now about hiring Elton John to write a score.

So does that mean it's totally kaputt? It's not being "reworked" for a Broadway openingn again?

Bloody Elton John! Apart from "The Lion King" has he actually done any other musical that has succeeded?

So does that mean it's totally kaputt? It's not being "reworked" for a Broadway openingn again?

Bloody Elton John! Apart from "The Lion King" has he actually done any other musical that has succeeded?

Oh yeah, that's it insofar as a Broadway run.  I mean it had its 5-week tryout in SF last Nov-Dec.  They supposedly tweaked it -- but Sir John was never around to actually witness the performances in SF.  He was 'phoning' in new songs.  

So, anyway, they decamped for Broadway in, I think, mid-March, worked thru the April 28 or 30 NY opening; and after getting only 2 minor nominations and a whole sleugh of bad reviews, are bringing down the curtain.  It seems to have been an ill-conceived project from the start.  However, a cast recording was made last week.  So that could be a collector's item.  

I think John did Disney's AIDA which -- I've never seen or heard it -- seems to have had some success.