Brisbane 2032 Venues/Stadiums Thread

Victorian

11 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

What do others think as to where changes will be made to the Brisbane 2032 Olympic plans following the 60-day Review?

These are my guesses. *Apologies for repeats:

*Gabba Olympic Stadium Rebuild  (ceremonies/athletics)

• I think the Review will find that the Gabba Rebuild needs to go ahead as it’s central and has a train station as opposed to building a brand new stadium in another location which is likely to be even more expensive than a Gabba rebuild.  As a result, the pressure to identify on cost savings in other venues will be even greater

Brisbane Arena  (***swimming/water polo finals)

• this is funded by the Australian Government and construction may be reduced by moving this new venue moved from directly above the Roma Street Station to a less expensive but central location near a train line

***Gold Coast Aquatic Centre

• GCAC is not currently listed as a 2032 competition venue at all but remains an outside chance (long shot) to host Swimming and Water Polo Finals (open air venue, temporary grandstands) should the Brisbane Arena federal government funding deal be altered or not proceed at all (e.g. if there was acchange of government at state or federal level).
  • The IOC also advised the Brisbane organisers to consuder using this existing venue for swimming.  However, this blue ribbon event will meet strong resistance in moving it away from central Brisbane.

RNA Showgrounds (equestrian): 

• equestrian showjumping will still go ahead here but I think this idea of a pop-up temporary AFL venue will be canned and both AFL teams will be required to play all games at the existing Carrara Stadium during the years of the Gabba Rebuild

Carrara Stadium (**T20 cricket)

• **although not identified as a 2032 competition venue as yet, the inclusion of additional sports at the LA2028 Games, such as T20 cricket, may see Carrara Stadium added as a new venue. So this is a preducted extra venue and additional cost.

*Redlands Whitewater Centre (canoe slalom)

• as much as I’d like to see this canoe slalom venue and legacy swiftvwater rescue training centre go ahead in the Redlands Precinct, I think that the Review will recommend the 2032 competition be conducted at the existing Sydney 2000 venue at Penrith International Regatta Centre, subject to weather/rainfall considerations

Sunshine Coast Indoor Sports Centre (basketball preliminaries)

• the IOC identified during the Targeted Dialogue that this additional basketball venue was not required.  So I think that this venue will be canned as a 2032 competition venue.  While it would no longer be counted as an Olympic venue, a separate funding deal may be (?) reached for this community recreation centre go ahead given the booming population

Satellite Athletes Village: Kooralbyn Resort Hotel (rowing, canoe/kayak sprint)

• while only 45 minutes from the Wyralong Flatwater competition venue, this satellite athletes village may be canned due to the cost of modifications and temporary works required at the Kooralbyn Resort Hotel.  This would be unpopular as it would require athletes to be accomodated at the Gold Coast Athletes Village which is 1 hour 20 minutes drive away (approx. 90 kms away)

Additional Sports which may be added to Brisbane 2032  (extra costs)

I don’t know whether potential additional sports yet to be added to the Brisbane 2032 sports program have or will be included in this 60-day Review (?). If not, they should be.

Under new IOC rules, it’s each Organising Committee now which makes recommendations to the IOC as to which additional sports will be added to each Games. The IOC then makes the final decision.

This usually occurs around four years prior to those Game - so this would be approx. around 2028 for Brisbane 2032

As a guide, the following have been officially added to the Paris 2024 Games: 

• Breaking
  • Sport Climbing
  • Surfing
  • Skateboarding
  • Surfing

For the  LA 2028 Games, these have been added and confirmed:

• Baseball/Softball
  • Coastal Rowing
  • Flag Football
  • Lacrosse
  • Sauash
  • T20 Cricket
  • So who knows if all these sports will continue at Brisbane 2032. None of these are in the Brisbane 2032 masterplan so a bunch of extra costs right there which need to be factored in now
  • T20 Cricket would be a certainty to be added to Brisbane 2032’s schedule.  Carrara Stadium would lead the field to host Olympic T20 Cricket ahead of Allan Border Field or QSAC, with additional temporary grandstands and shuttle buses for spectators from existing train stations/Olympic park and ride locations.
  • But where would the following *additional sports be accommodated if included in the Brisbane 2032 Games?: *Baseball/Softball, Coastal Rowing, Breaking, Lacrosse, Sport Climbing, Squash, Skateboarding and Surfing
  • I’m assuming Flag Football will not be included at Brisbane 2032 following its debut at LA2028

On 1/24/2024 at 10:21 PM, Victorian said:

I don't like this. 2032 is Brisbane and Queensland's games NOT Sydney's. Sydney had their turn in 2000 now it is Queensland's turn also by having the new facility in Redlands, it creates a legacy venue for paddle sports in Queensland post 2032.

It’s not a matter of Sydney trying to steal glory - it’s the fact that whitewater centres are very expensive, high-upkeep facilities that are already notorious for becoming white elephants. Australia already has one, that already does police and emergency services for the region. Another is unnecessary, wasteful and significant millions the Qld government doesn’t have to spend. 

14 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

It’s not a matter of Sydney trying to steal glory - it’s the fact that whitewater centres are very expensive, high-upkeep facilities that are already notorious for becoming white elephants. Australia already has one, that already does police and emergency services for the region. Another is unnecessary, wasteful and significant millions the Qld government doesn’t have to spend. 

Spot on. 

Such an adversarial take on it by Victorian. 

Luckily he doesnt speak for organisers. I should hope they do everything they can to mimick the success of 2000 which was largely built on the premise of it being "Australia's Games". Unfortunately it does feel a bit like 2032 will be "Queensland's" - no matter how many venues are held interstate or how many billions other states chip in to stage it (a level of support never offered to Melbourne 1956 and Sydney 2000). 

• Haha 1

!!!

Is this confirmed or just a rumour? Not getting any kind of new circular stadium (unless they make QE2 cricket-ready) won't exactly help with the case for sticking with it... since you've got the river there I'd expect Paris style ceremonies anyway if July goes even vaguely to plan so that's not really the story. 

(The only danger is whether they'll do a referendum or what happens if one of the main parties turns against... hopefully this'll stave that off?)

4 minutes ago, yoshi said:

!!!

Is this confirmed or just a rumour? Not getting any kind of new circular stadium (unless they make QE2 cricket-ready) won't exactly help with the case for sticking with it... since you've got the river there I'd expect Paris style ceremonies anyway if July goes even vaguely to plan so that's not really the story. 

(The only danger is whether they'll do a referendum or what happens if one of the main parties turns against... hopefully this'll stave that off?)

It’s pay-walled for me, but here’s the Courier-Mail headline. Apparently straight from Coates.

Olympics boss bombshell: The Gabba is dead

Edited by Sir Rols

Brisbane’s controversial $2.7bn Gabba rebuild is dead, with Olympic powerbroker John Coates declaring the project is damaging the Games brand and “just doesn’t stack up”.

Mr Coates called for the rebuild to be axed in favour of an opening and closing ceremony at Suncorp Stadium and the athletics at the Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre (formerly QEII Stadium) on the city’s southside.

On Thursday morning, Brisbane 2032 Organising Committee president Andrew Liveris backed Mr Coates’s comments and slammed the lost time due to squabbling over venue upgrades.

QSAC is a middle of nowhere toilet, even with a new lick of paint and as Coates suggests some temporary stands to raise the capacity to a meagre and embarrassing 45,000

Just give 2032 to Qatar now and be done with it

• Thanks 1

Wow, that is as emphatic as you can get. And the organising committee president too, although I'm not sure how much he is independent of Coates. After reading that I'm a lot more pessimistic now about the chances of survival for Brisbane as host, simply because I'm not sure this will cut it (or cut the budget) if QE2 is as bad & small as you say it is. I wonder if the little uptick in activity around Madrid might not be a coincidence... Spain has friends in high IOC places too. 

(I hadn't actually seen that aerial view of the Gabba - what are they thinking?! It's as hemmed in as the old Highbury was in London, where on earth were they gonna put a warm up track? Stadiums have been demolished and replaced for much less, even without an Olympics...)

45 minutes ago, yoshi said:

It’s sure a bombshell and a half! It’s possibly not totally official until the Government’s venues review reports next month, but if Coates is going public on it, you’d have to say it’s all over bar the shouting.

Must admit, I expected the Gabba to survive, though probably in some highly scaled down form. QEII Is certainly left-of-field.

I’ve never understand this notion that because Paris is doing a Seine opening, and because Brisbane has a river ergo they’ll do the same. The Brisbane River and the city banks is hardly the Seine and Paris! It’s a big muddy thing with some office tower towers along it. Can’t see the attraction or drawcard. More likely to bring Matilda out of mothballs to the QEII.

10 minutes ago, yoshi said:

After reading that I'm a lot more pessimistic now about the chances of survival for Brisbane as host

We’re far, far away from that. Sure, never say never, but I’d rate that chance as almost nil. The IOC wouldn’t let it, much less the Qld and Australian governments.

Edited by Sir Rols

5 minutes ago, yoshi said:

where on earth were they gonna put a warm up track

Raymond Park. 800m walk north

QSAC/QEII is just a farcical option. The people of Brisbane hate the location and is why the NRL teams have all failed there and moved to the CBD. It's 3km from the nearest train line and they are going to bus in 45,000 every session .... LOL not bloody likely

Just wait until the all powerful AFL starts to flex it's muscles, still a chance the Gabba will get some sort of renovation

:D at the comment on the Courier Mail

John Coates playing a superb 4D chess game. Once people realise how stupid the idea of having QEII & Suncorp is, the people will be asking to go back and revisit the Gabba option and presto the government comes back with a new proposal at a slightly reduced cost

"Here as we await the start of the Mens 100m Final, just look at the superb scenes from our helicopter. Just to the north you can see the stunning Cemetery & Crematorium. Not a place I wish to be visiting in my lifetime. Or just look at that ... the world famous Baby Bunting Store and the CRANK Indoor Climbing Centre. This is Brisbane!"

spacer.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Just wait until the all powerful AFL starts to flex it's muscles, still a chance the Gabba will get some sort of renovation

Isn’t the AFL part of the reason for the blowup and review - getting locked out of the Gabba for how many years during the rebuild and not liking the alternatives offered?

I truly didn't expect this. 

I don't support the Gabba rebuild but it is truly the best venue the city has in terms of location. It needed the upgrade option. 

QEII is a shocking location in the middle of a very scruffy, ugly suburb. 

At this point I'd rather them invest in bus lanes to connect Carrara to Brisbane and the rail network. Its at least on the Gold Coast which is somewhat charming. 

Anyway - I hope the IOC's strict July-August hosting window is worth overlooking these world class former Olympic Parks for Australia's third Olympics:

spacer.png

spacer.png

You blindly hand the 2032 Olympics to a city literally half the size of Sydney and Melbourne with half the infrastructure... and you get what you're given. 

• Like 2

I've said it before, if the IOC truly cared about sustainability of cities and "using whats already there" - they'd negotiate flexibility in those dates. 

If you took a pragmatic assessment of the capabilities of Australia's cities to host a cheap and sustainable Olympics, it would have been a two horse race between Sydney and Melbourne. No ifs or buts. 

Even as a Melburnian i'd be ALOT more comfortable with the idea of Sydney 2032 - it would probably chip at our ego again but at least it would make sense. Brisbane doesn't. 

• Like 1

In fact - the MCG is a non starter because of the AFL, but I wonder whether there is at least the murmur... even internally... of holding athletics at Stadium Australia?

Ceremonies could still happen in Brisbane - River Stage would be spectacular. But if we are talking NUMBERS of spectators for the marquee Olympic event......

50 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Isn’t the AFL part of the reason for the blowup and review - getting locked out of the Gabba for how many years during the rebuild and not liking the alternatives offered?

The Lions weren't happy, but if it all came to a head they would be happy to play on the Gold Coast for a few years, arguments was more about compensation for loss of revenue

The Gabba situation will still need to be resolved in the next 10-15 years regardless Olympics or not

Be that partial renovation or destroying the joint totally and selling the land off for apartments and building a new stadium in Victoria Park which in itself will cost $1.5-$2 billion in todays money but could be offset a bit by the Gabba sale

Anyway, thanks to the Corruption King John Coates for providing some entertainment today.

In the end my prediction is that either two things will happen - 

1/ The "review" will echo what the IOC planning taskforce said originally. Track & Field to be held on the Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium and the Ceremonies held at the Gabba. Which will get a minor refurbishment of new seating, new toilets & food courts, new team change rooms, new paint job and the long-term Gabba situation will be kicked down the road for another 15-20 years

2/ Brisbane will give up the right to hold the Olympics by the end of 2025 if public anger continues to grow

Public haven't even got interested in the $2.5 billion cost of the new Brisbane Arena yet ... it will come

Reading Coates’ interviews, I see he’s proposing Suncorp (upgraded to 60,000 capacity at some cheap cost by whoever?) to host the ceremonies.

I can see it now. The NRL can organise the pending and bring on Jimmy Barnes and some Tina Turner impersonator to lead a mass demonstration of our traditional “Nutbush City Limits” dance. 

For those who can’t access the Courier Mail story, we’ve got a Guardian version now”

Olympics boss tells Queensland to ditch $2.7bn plan for Gabba demolition and rebuild

And the ABC

Minister Grace Grace denies Brisbane Olympics are 'on the nose,' after John Coates urges dumping $2.7b Gabba redevelopment plan

Edited by Sir Rols