Chicago 2016

I'm a little confused...where is the new collapsible stadium on that map? (maybe it's there but under another name or something lol)

Also @baron- what do yout think of this plan? do you think this is what the USOC and IOC are looking for?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not drawn on there but it would be where the parking lots currently are off 18th street between Soldier Field and McCormick Place Lakeside Center

Finally, we're getting something really specific about sites and locations. OK. I think Chicago might be on its way. The location of these 2 premier sites, I'd say would be about 40% of the techical aspect of the bid. Looking good, Chicago.

Re the Reese Hospital compound; so are they going to kick the hospital out during the Games? Will they build a completely new Village or do a mix of new dorms and renovated hospital rooms?

To pay for the whole thing afterwards, I can see it now -- they'll be selling parts of the collapsible (I hope it's not an inflatable one) stadium, sort of as they did with the discarded seats from Olympic Stadium-Turner Field in Atlanta.

Finally, we're getting something really specific about sites and locations. OK. I think Chicago might be on its way. The location of these 2 premier sites, I'd say would be about 40% of the techical aspect of the bid. Looking good, Chicago.

Re the Reese Hospital compound; so are they going to kick the hospital out during the Games? Will they build a completely new Village or do a mix of new dorms and renovated hospital rooms?

To pay for the whole thing afterwards, I can see it now -- they'll be selling parts of the collapsible (I hope it's not an inflatable one) stadium, sort of as they did with the discarded seats from Olympic Stadium-Turner Field in Atlanta.

*whew* I was afraid you wouldn't be wild about the plan. B)

Regarding the location of the village - it would be right next door to Michael Reese on Lake Park Avenue right around 29th-31st St.

map.jpg

Like I said, if my recollection is correct, there used to be a public housing complex there that was imploded about 5 years ago. I think that is where they are talking about putting the village but I may be wrong.

Re the hospital site, from today's Tribune:

Dr. Enrique Beckmann, CEO of Michael Reese, 2929 S. Ellis Ave., said it was news to him to read a published report Tuesday that his hospital's property had been selected.

No city officials have contacted him, and he has not been privy to any discussions, he said.

But Michael Reese welcomes the possibility of new development on its 37-acre site, according to Beckmann.

"The hospital is interested in resizing itself and consolidating its operations," he said. "We clearly don't need the 37 acres. The hospital would only need about 10 acres to operate. That would free about 27 acres for development."

Re the stadium, it's similar to London's stadium plan and that was attractive enough to the IOC to choose them.

A little more insight into Chicago's plan to fund and build for the games:

Olympics Won't Be Taxing

You have to join the Tribune website. It's fast, it's free and it's fun! :D

I'm not going to cut and paste the articles anymore - they are too big sometimes! :P

A little more insight into Chicago's plan to fund and build for the games:

Olympics Won't Be Taxing

You have to join the Tribune website. It's fast, it's free and it's fun! :D

I'm not going to cut and paste the articles anymore - they are too big sometimes! :P

I read the article in the Tribune. What a load of @#$%#@$. The whole thing is wrong Atlanta didn't make a profit samething with Salt Lake. By the way if Chicago is picked as the US bid are they going to use the same tactics as Atlanta and Salt Lake it worked for them when they bot the games. They should get Billy Payne so they will know how to buy the games ,come on their pros at it. The US goes in to make a clean bid for 2016? SUUUUUUURE!

I read the article in the Tribune. What a load of @#$%#@$. The whole thing is wrong Atlanta didn't make a profit samething with Salt Lake. By the way if Chicago is picked as the US bid are they going to use the same tactics as Atlanta and Salt Lake it worked for them when they bot the games. They should get Billy Payne so they will know how to buy the games ,come on their pros at it. The US goes in to make a clean bid for 2016? SUUUUUUURE!

hahahahahaha your post cracks me up :lol: thanks for the laugh

Well, you're just one doubting Thomas. The records stand and they are certified by the IOC. So whatever you think, olympikfan, doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Woof-woof. Sorry.

Well, you're just one doubting Thomas. The records stand and they are certified by the IOC. So whatever you think, olympikfan, doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Woof-woof. Sorry.

Come baron, Madrid is making a another bid for the games look the IOC should give it to them.

And besides Billy Payne doesn't live in Spain. Baron, if 1996 games were so great what did Juan Antoino say at the closing ceremonies?

Come baron, Madrid is making a another bid for the games look the IOC should give it to them.

And besides Billy Payne doesn't live in Spain. Baron, if 1996 games were so great what did Juan Antoino say at the closing ceremonies?

your a joke and don't know what the hell you are talking about

If I don't know what I'm taking about then what did Juan Antonio say at the closing ceremonies?

Who cares what JAS said at Closing? It doesn't mean anything. He didn't spend for the Games; he didn't put out the effort to stage the Games -- so whatever he said, we put no stock in. It's only foolish people (like yourself?) who put stock in what that old Falangist fart had to say.

If I don't know what I'm taking about then what did Juan Antonio say at the closing ceremonies?

so your claim is that because JAS never said "best Games ever" in Atlanta that the USA has no chance at 2016? and on top of that that Atlanta was bought (which it wasn't) and that SLC and Atanta along with every other Olympic Games ever never made any money and that Madrid stands a better chance at getting 2016 than a bid from the USA?....all I can say to you is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....oh yea and, stop while your ahead

so your claim is that because JAS never said "best Games ever" in Atlanta that the USA has no chance at 2016? and on top of that that Atlanta was bought (which it wasn't) and that SLC and Atanta along with every other Olympic Games ever never made any money and that Madrid stands a better chance at getting 2016 than a bid from the USA?....all I can say to you is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....oh yea and, stop while your ahead

I have a document dated 1991 from a city that was one of the bidding cities for 1996. This document was finally open to the public 1999. Well that document complained to the IOC that the bidding process was to long and very unfair and one city used extrem means. Well guess what city it was. Atlanta!!!!!!!!!!

Oh by the way the document was given to the FEDS

Greetings from Chicago. I had to jet in yesterday for a few days. The Mayor wants to see me - I guess he wants my opinion as to what color combination we should use for Chicago's bid logo. :rolleyes: That and I am getting a preview of the Gay Games (won't be here for them) - Chicago's warmup to 2016!

Anywho - Secret documents. Fuzzy accounting. Bribes, scandal, agressive behavior? Sounds like a Mickey Spillane novel to me. Are you a mystery writer perhaps Olympikfan? :lol:

However, just to qualify that you aren't anti-American, I suppose then that you agree then that Greece should never get the games again because Roggee didn't pronounce them as the best ever. Or for that matter, Avery Brundage or Lord Killanin never bestowed this supposed title on any of the games they Lorded over so I guess none of those countries should ever get the games again either.

Or that Korea, Japan and perhaps Australia might as well hang up on their future Olympic ambitions since bribery has been proven or whispered about the games they hosted. And that any corporate sponsorship should go by the wayside so that we can return to the days of taxpayer only Olympics so that we can have a repeat of the Olympic movement breathing it's last gasps prior to Los Angeles showing how to run an Olympics and make a profit? <_<

Greetings from Chicago. I had to jet in yesterday for a few days. The Mayor wants to see me - I guess he wants my opinion as to what color combination we should use for Chicago's bid logo. :rolleyes: That and I am getting a preview of the Gay Games (won't be here for them) - Chicago's warmup to 2016!

Anywho - Secret documents. Fuzzy accounting. Bribes, scandal, agressive behavior? Sounds like a Mickey Spillane novel to me. Are you a mystery writer perhaps Olympikfan? :lol:

However, just to qualify that you aren't anti-American, I suppose then that you agree then that Greece should never get the games again because Roggee didn't pronounce them as the best ever. Or for that matter, Avery Brundage or Lord Killanin never bestowed this supposed title on any of the games they Lorded over so I guess none of those countries should ever get the games again either.

Or that Korea, Japan and perhaps Australia might as well hang up on their future Olympic ambitions since bribery has been proven or whispered about the games they hosted. And that any corporate sponsorship should go by the wayside so that we can return to the days of taxpayer only Olympics so that we can have a repeat of the Olympic movement breathing it's last gasps prior to Los Angeles showing how to run an Olympics and make a profit? <_<

exactly....especially about the points that scandals went on or are rumored to have gone on with Seoul, Nagano, and Sydney , and that some stupid phrase by JAS was only said at a handful of Games means crap.....

according to a lot of what olympikfan has to say almost no city/nation stands a chance at hosting again!

I have a document dated 1991 from a city that was one of the bidding cities for 1996. This document was finally open to the public 1999. Well that document complained to the IOC that the bidding process was to long and very unfair and one city used extrem means. Well guess what city it was. Atlanta!!!!!!!!!!

Oh by the way the document was given to the FEDS

Boo-hoo. So what are u going to do about it? How 'bout throwing a hissy fit? :lol:

Boo-hoo. So what are u going to do about it? How 'bout throwing a hissy fit? :lol:

Hey Baron do you think that crime satistics should also be submitted when a city makes a bid for the games. I guess the put just about ever US city out of the runnig. Oh yeah Chicago is safe right?

exactly....especially about the points that scandals went on or are rumored to have gone on with Seoul, Nagano, and Sydney , and that some stupid phrase by JAS was only said at a handful of Games means crap.....

according to a lot of what olympikfan has to say almost no city/nation stands a chance at hosting again!

[/quote ]

Get over LA84, to the best Olympics was Seoul.

actually Chicago is a safe place, and on top of that I would suggest looking at the crime statistics of past and want to be Olympic host cities, and then get back to me and try to make your obviously bias and ridiculous comment....you have a very slanted and warped view of things on here

Archived