Saudi Arabia planning 2030 bid on their own

iceman530

5 hours ago, iceman530 said:

We should all be very........very afraid of this.  And now they have ammunition signing Cristiano Ronaldo to their league

Cristiano Ronaldo 'to become an ambassador for Saudi Arabia's 2030 World Cup bid' | Daily Mail Online

Would FIFA seriously do this?  That's probably a silly question.. of course they would.  So much for a grand celebration of the centenary of the World Cup.  I keep waiting for England to enter the conversation, but I guess maybe that's not destined to happen.  At least if they want to return to Europe, there's a Spain-Portugal bid out there.  

I just watch a documentary on how Qatar was awarded 2022, and I didnt think it could get any more corrupt than the IOC.  FIFA makes the IOC look like choir boys.  There is no saving that organization.  And especially because the 2022 Final was the "best ever" (and granted, it was a very entertaining final), it gives ammunition for another winter World Cup.

On 1/2/2023 at 12:19 PM, iceman530 said:

I just watch a documentary on how Qatar was awarded 2022, and I didnt think it could get any more corrupt than the IOC.  FIFA makes the IOC look like choir boys.  There is no saving that organization.  And especially because the 2022 Final was the "best ever" (and granted, it was a very entertaining final), it gives ammunition for another winter World Cup.

I think we've learned a lot about how the 2 organizations run in the last 18 months.

With FIFA, they hand over control to the host country.  We saw Qatar make a lot of the decisions and FIFA clearly did nothing to intervene.  I'm sure Budweiser didn't appreciate that.  We do hear some rules governing the costs (I know a couple of US cities, most notably Chicago, dropped out of consideration for that reason), but it's still the host country that runs the show.

Contrast that with the IOC.  They make it clear repeatedly that the Olympics are *their* show and the host city/country is simply the vehicle obligated to give them a venue for the party and to take care of all the planning.

We'll see if all the new norm stuff changes anything.  What it took to convince FIFA to roll with Qatar (other than lots and lots of money) is beyond me, but here we are in the aftermath of the 2022 World Cup and the legacy is that it was one of the great football tournaments of all time.  And who cares about issues with the host anymore.  Whether or not that gives fuel for Saudi Arabia remains to be seen.  I would like to hope FIFA won't go down that rabbit hole.  But they certainly haven't earned the benefit of the doubt on that front

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2023 at 4:02 PM, Brekkie Boy said:

Well guess who FIFA have given the rights to host the 2023 FIFA Club World Cup too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64643889

Not like they had a choice. If I'm not mistaken Saudi Arabia was the only bidder.

And this is as close to the real thing the Saudis will get. No booze no tournament. It's that simple.