I DECLARE CHRISTMAS 2022...OPEN!

The ultimate 80s song there, with everyone who was anyone, and Phil Collins, asking a question which can only be answered with "we do now, because the logo comp is here!". 

Yes, here we go again, because well, it's tradition, and we've just spent a week deciding which cities to use - it's THE 16TH ANNUAL GAMESBIDS OLYMPIC LOGO COMPETITION! Amazingly, last year we did actually get entries despite the board being about as alive as the premiership of Liz Truss. JDCLauron and Glacib took our titles in January, and now we are here to see who will be their successors - if they don't retain them of course. The format is traditional - winter, summer, one of each - and though I'd normally do a big reveal, surprising you with our cities, you already know them, because you voted for them! Even so, we should still present them properly. Here goes:

SUMMER 2036: NAIROBI, KENYA

1024px-Nairobi_Skyline_from_BBC_Studios.jpg

In the words of the great philosopher Shakira, it's time for Africa! In the words of comp guru and wombat Sir Rols, we haven't really "done" Africa since Durban. And since that's so long ago I didn't know we had ever done that, you surely made the right choice in picking the Kenyan capital. It doesn't hurt that Kenya is one of the world's leading athletics nations, and Nairobi one of Africa's (and the world's) fastest growing cities, in one of Africa's great sporting nations. One day, hopefully, the Olympic flame will finally burn in Africa. If Nairobi is where it goes, how will you design what'd be one of the most significant Olympics in history?

WINTER 2034: REYKJAVIK, ICELAND

1280px-Reykjavik_Esja.jpg

What is Iceland? A magical wonderland of elves & sagas, a country that will surely (surely?) eventually win Eurovision, a cheap supermarket*, the football team indirectly responsible for England winning the World Cup**, a flight-destroying volcano, or the holder of a seeming monopoly on the world's cool music supply? All of them, but it's also the most appropriate place you could ever have for a winter Olympics - which must be why you voted to make that (sorta) happen. Despite literally being named for it, I don't recall seeing Icelandic success at the winter games - but that'd change if they host it all. How would you design the most northerly Olympics there could ever be?

* That's a VERY British reference. I'll try not to make many more :) 

** Maybe. This probably won't age well. Anyway, RULES AND STUFF:

We are, as ever, after logos that encompass the overall feel of the city and local influences that can be tied into a design concept. How can any of these cities articulate graphically what they could bring to future Olympics hosting? What flavour will they bring to the games? Will it inspire the IOC to rediscover its love of new frontiers and give Africa its chance? Rio's map still has a big hole in it...

The logos should be presented as full colour designs on white background. If you like, however, they can also be presented in black and white or utilised in forms like street banners, t-shirts, apps, vehicles, pins etc. For voting purposes, the main (colour) logo will be used on the polls, & extra stuff is not obligatory, but any extra material you produce may help you “sell” your design better to the wider GamesBids voting membership. 

These logos are for the cities as they HOST the games. So you CAN use the rings, and don't need to include the words “Candidate City, Olympic Games 2036” or whatever the IOC want this week.

Please post your preliminary submissions on this thread. If you want to hold anything back to be presented as a “surprise” when voting starts you can contact me or Rols via PM and I'll tell you where you can send the extra material. However, it would be nice to see as many on-thread submissions as possible for people to chew over in-thread, & to try & get the old buzz back. We can hope, right?

You can submit logos for either or both cities. However, you cannot enter more than one logo for the same city (see below). So entering one logo for each is fine, but two logos for Glasgow Nairobi, say, is not fine. You are able, encouraged even, to enter both 'sides' of the comp.

Feel free to post as many logo designs as you like, & to ask for feedback from our famously discerning electorate. If you really can't decide between your own designs for a city, feel free to start a poll (or to ask for one to be started). When the time comes for voting, however, you will be asked to settle on a maximum of ONLY ONE official logo per city as your official entry. 

The format depends on the numbers. Most likely, it will be the traditional exhausting exhaustive ballot preferred by the IOC, but if numbers fit & opinion ok, we may have the World Cup-style tournament system. Whatever happens, the winter & summer 'halves' will be entirely separate, there will be two winners in the Olympic comp tradition. 

The competition is open to all members of GamesBids, or to any new legitimate members who join before the end of the submission period. I, with consultation, will rule on the legitimacy of new members.

As you would expect, I will rule on any disputes - always aiming to be as fair as possible in the process. As always, just remember, this is all meant to be fun. Olympic spirit, remember?. 

Hopefully this will spark up some action on the board. I'll be dipping in, keeping a close eye on things, but otherwise will try and keep my green yoshi-paws off until the polling stages.

The deadline for submissions is 1pm London time (that is, midnight in Sydney, as per tradition) on NEW YEAR'S EVE, 31 DECEMBER 2022. Thus, GB will begin the new year (no Olympics this time) 2023 with the voting. Just one extra thing, there is something of a tradition of that being extended, but I'm hoping not to have to do that this year as we already have 14 members sufficiently interested to vote in the city election, and hopefully at least some of you will submit logos within the month. I will @ all those voters (all of you) in the next post.

And this is just to alert @Rob. Rob to the existence of the new comp in the hope that he'll do his traditional bit of putting up links to various free design programs etc for the benefit of those who want to take part but may not have the facility at the moment, and to alert @GBModerator Rob to the fact the comp is back!

All that is left to say is thank you Rols once again, and to all participants for having the guts to put your logos up for the annual GamesBids dissection, & may the best logos win - GOOD LUCK! :)

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Yoshi!

Yes, I think we all owe it to bring snow logo joy to Africa this Christmastime.

I’ll be posting my submissions very soon thanks to a bit of lead time and careful forensic analysis of the early city selection voting trends.

Edited by Sir Rols

Here we go.. with the first entrance for highland african country of Kenya..

the logo symbolises a big letter N , the initial of capital city

patterend in a quadratic square with the 3 main colours of the national flag 

the diagonal lines refere also to the coat of arms on the kenyan tricolore

this symmetric-concept gives an anfrican-art-taste to the logo itself

using a very modern font to indicate a fast evoluating technological/cyber world AND 

forming cleverly the word AIR with the 2nd + 3rd + 4th letters of the capital name

this last includes/contains a capital on the east-african-highlands about 1.700 m above sealevel

this is also the level whereby the most medals in history are won by kenyan atlethes at long distance running

with all this precious information makes the country a proud host on african soil.. 

the little extention (drawn as fhe same font-letter-"O") in the right-upper corner.. encompasses the intention to reach high, higher, highest..

the Kenyan highlands are inviting the olympic passion in the land of the proud and succesfull long-distance-runners ..

Nlwl0mG.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Explanation for the Olympic logo:

The green and blue gradient represent the northern lights typically seen over Iceland, with the shape forming a whale's tale (and hopefully a dove / bird... pls use ur imagination if needed... i wont blame you) as well as a heart, representing both Iceland's natural setting and the welcoming Icelandic people. The bars are a bit of a throwback to Lillehammer 1994's emblem, the last time an Olympic Winter Games were held in a Nordic nation.

My logo design for Nairobi 2036...

The logo is in the style of London 2012 with the 3 N's representing the host city of Nairobi. The colours of the N's are the colours of the Kenyan flag with the Olympic rings and 2036. The whole logo itself says' Nairobi 2036'

The bonus Paralympic version of the logo represents the host city but this time the 3 N's are in traditional African colours

spacer.png 

• Like 2

My logo design for Reykjavik 2034

I wanted to go back to a more traditional Winter Olympic logo. Using a snowflake symbolises winter, Iceland and snow. I have used winter colours and the design also has a modern feel to it.

The bonus Paralympic version of the logo is a different variation of the snowflake design.

spacer.png

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, fatixxx said:

somebody made an (i think amateur as we) booklet for a nairobi 2036 concept..

just founf it.. maybe it can give ideas for the next member-participant in this logo-comp ;)

>> Nairobi 2036 by Devin Rendo - Issuu

Interesting….

Personally, I think we already have better logos here (the flying elephants the best by far, of course).

Really good to see such a strong response already on launch day. Don’t know if it was the pre-launch poll, the World Cup or the two good, strong cities chosen, but well done to all.

• Like 3

I'll echo Rols' pleasure at seeing such a good response on day 1. We can always use more though - the one thing I will warn you all about, as I did in the opener, is that I'd rather not extend submission past New Year (I don't just mean like the odd day over the holiday weekend, I mean deep into January like before) if possible, so if you want to be sure of being in, get in this month! :)

There was me thinking I was the only one providing Eurovision references to the thread :P Anyway, been meaning to do this for days now - the @s from the start of last year's comp, just to alert anyone else. Some of these will have been alerted already, because I'm just copying from last year's, but there's nothing wrong with extra reminding:

@paul @JDCLauron @Glacib @Scotguy II @Lord David @R__ @thatsnotmypuppy @mr.bernham @woohooitsme83 @VIK @baron-pierreIV @JMarkSnow2012 @nzl @Utkarsh Verma @Athensfan @Citius Altius Fortius @Olympian1010 @TorchbearerSydney @Sir Rols @AustralianFan @JO2024 @Nacholympic @aismanggo @Anthony @Jon Will Chambers @Victorian @DannyelBrazil @ScoBit @Palette86 @cfm Jeremie @Fiorenzo @pcutone @Olympic Fan Darcy @Athens 2004 forever

Also it's a useful chance for a bump :)