Early interest in a 2034 Winter Olympic Games by DOSB?

“A Winter Games may be a more comfortable choice for the DOSB because the next available Summer Games in 2036 would mark the awkward centennial of the Nazi-led Berlin 1936 edition that was notable for its use as a propaganda tool.”

Arguably more likely than Ahmedabad/Jakarta/Cairo/Hambantota 2036, so yeah go ahead open a new thread based on half a sentence said somewhere, why not.

At this stage, I’d say it won’t happen, and I’m not gonna repeat every argument that goes against German bids these days again. Nothing has substantially changed for the better in terms of Olympic prospects here.

“Could Germany bid to host another Olympic Games?”

“The European Championships in Munich are widely deemed to have been a resounding success. This has led to renewed calls for Germany to bid to host the Olympics.”

“Other possibilities for a bid would be the 2030 or 2034 Winter Games. The 2026 Winter Games have already been awarded to Italy (Milan and Cortina d'Ampezzo). Although several candidates have already come forward for 2030, including Japan's Sapporo as the favorite, nothing has been decided as yet.”

”However, according to the president of the German Olympic Sports Federation, Thomas Weikert, 2030 would be too early for Germany. After all, in view of the various failed attempts to get a German bid off the ground in recent years, he knows that to have any hope of success, any future bid requires the best-possible preparation — and that takes time.”

Thankyou Munich

“Why has Germany not hosted the games since 1972?”

“Since 1986, there have been seven bids, but all have failed. The Rhine-Ruhr Initiative for 2032 was the most recent unsuccessful attempt.”

“The bids for the 2022 Winter Games in Munich and the 2024 Summer Games in Hamburg were thwarted by public opposition.”

HBLhGsm.jpg

“In addition to the sports facilities, accommodation always has to be built for the Olympic Games. Even in Germany, and even in Munich, new sports facilities would have to be built if the IOC were to accept a bid to host the Games there. There are plenty of examples of unsustainable development around the world. Host cities such as Pyeongchang, for example, have built "white elephants" such as the bobsleigh and luge tracks, which were hardly used or not used at all after the Olympics. “

Credit: Could Germany bid to host another Olympic Games? - dw.com

Munich 2022 didn't need Garmisch did it? I really hope this happens, either 2034 or 36 - remember though it'll have to be a choice between them - I'm just worried that pursuing 34 will lead to a referendum, which would be lost, killing everyone's chances. Hopefully I'm wrong and they get 34, or they don't pursue it and get 36. It's long past time for a German Olympics, but I get a sense from Stefan that Rhine Ruhr is the only place that could get the support needed from the population. 

2 hours ago, yoshi said:

Munich 2022 didn't need Garmisch did it? I really hope this happens, either 2034 or 36 - remember though it'll have to be a choice between them - I'm just worried that pursuing 34 will lead to a referendum, which would be lost, killing everyone's chances. Hopefully I'm wrong and they get 34, or they don't pursue it and get 36. It's long past time for a German Olympics, but I get a sense from Stefan that Rhine Ruhr is the only place that could get the support needed from the population. 

Feel youre right throughout here.  Referendum kills this.  It wasnt close last time and it wont be now.  They should focus on 2036 which would probably jump to the front of the pack 1936 considerations be damned.  

5 hours ago, yoshi said:

Munich 2022 didn't need Garmisch did it? I really hope this happens, either 2034 or 36 - remember though it'll have to be a choice between them - I'm just worried that pursuing 34 will lead to a referendum, which would be lost, killing everyone's chances. 

Garmisch is always needed, there’s no alternative in Germany. 

And all government levels (with various parties involved) made it clear that they only support a bid (no matter where) if there’s public support (=referendum).

And for some perspective: Munich has four major newspapers. The two tabloids basically just ran the same agency story two days ago without own reporting or local flavour. One “serious” paper stayed completely silent and the biggest one, Sueddeutsche Zeitung, published a scathing commentary on the DOSB’s many areas of work to do, i.e. expects the next bid to run into the ground as well.