Jump to content

Majority across Japan support Sapporo 2030 Winter Olympics according to new survey


GBModerator
 Share

Recommended Posts

A majority of those who responded to an independent poll conducted across Japan last week said they support a Sapporo 2030 Winter Olympics. According to a poll conducted by Japan’s national newspaper Asahi Shimbun, 55 percent said they support hosting the Winter Olympics for a second time in Sapporo in 2030 while only 38 percent were […]

The post Majority across Japan support Sapporo 2030 Winter Olympics according to new survey appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, ulu said:

What percent supported it in previous polls?

A previous poll (Japan Times report)  March 2022 in Hokkaido only showed a slight majority of 52% in favour of a Sapporo  2030 Games.

However, the poll in this thread is across the Japan.

Not sure that a national poll is going to be enough to overcome this unfolding bribery scandal around the 2020 Summer Games ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I find it rather convenient that this poll came out right after the bribery scandal gained steam and the Sapporo mayor cancelled the planned visit. Probably another government cooked up poll. But hey, go ahead and lock in Sapporo for 2030 then deal with the fallout when the No Olympics crowd rears its ugly head.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, stryker said:

I find it rather convenient that this poll came out right after the bribery scandal gained steam and the Sapporo mayor cancelled the planned visit. Probably another government cooked up poll. But hey, go ahead and lock in Sapporo for 2030 then deal with the fallout when the No Olympics crowd rears its ugly head.

Thats literally my exact concern here.  It is going to take some serious hardball to get Sapporo to work, and probably some dark arts as well.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, stryker said:

I find it rather convenient that this poll came out right after the bribery scandal gained steam and the Sapporo mayor cancelled the planned visit. Probably another government cooked up poll. But hey, go ahead and lock in Sapporo for 2030 then deal with the fallout when the No Olympics crowd rears its ugly head.

As the report above states, it was an independent poll by newspaper Asahi Shimbun.

With the original timeline of a December elevation of a candidate to targeted dialogue,  this national poll was most likely planned to occur anyway before the bribery scandal broke.

At that stage and in the build-up to December, a national poll by thecnewspaper would have been a perfectly logical thing for a newspaper to do given Sapporo was favourite at that stage.

Then the bribery story broke, and so this national poll by Asahi Shimbun newspaper goes ahead anyway with even more added significance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

As the report above states, it was an independent poll by newspaper Asahi Shimbun.

With the original timeline of a December elevation of a candidate to targeted dialogue,  this national poll was most likely planned to occur anyway before the bribery scandal broke.

At that stage and in the build-up to December, a national poll by thecnewspaper would have been a perfectly logical thing for a newspaper to do given Sapporo was favourite at that stage.

Then the bribery story broke, and so this national poll by Asahi Shimbun newspaper goes ahead anyway with even more added significance.

Independent? Do you really believe that? You do realize that nearly all political polls have some bias towards them right? 

Break these poll numbers down though and the support in Hokkaido is weak.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, stryker said:

Independent? Do you really believe that? You do realize that nearly all political polls have some bias towards them right? 

Break these poll numbers down though and the support in Hokkaido is weak.

Do I smell a conspiracy theory here?

Are you seriously saying that the national Government of Japan  secretly influenced or directed the independent newspaper Asahi Shimbun to come up  a fake national poll showing only 55% in support of a Sapporo 2030 winter olympics?

Come on, get real.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Do I smell a conspiracy theory here?

Are you seriously saying that the national Government of Japan  secretly influenced or directed the independent newspaper Asahi Shimbun to come up  a fake national poll showing only 55% in support of a Sapporo 2030 winter olympics?

Come on, get real.
 

Did you not read my initial post? Do you have any knowledge of how political polls work? No conspiracy. Most have some political bias whether they claim to be independent or not? No Japan didn`t come up with a fake national poll, but if the government wants one to be in their favor it doesn`t take much to get one on their side. And the Asahi Shimbun is a left-leaning publication right in line with the government.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2022 Opinion Polls on Sapporo 2030

( that I can find on-line. did I miss any? )

 

25 February 2022Survey shows that not many people are into the idea of Sapporo hosting the 2030 Winter Olympics - SoraNews24

  • 45% national support

 

16 March 2022Majority in Hokkaido back 2030 Winter Olympics bid, poll shows - Japan Times 16/03/22

  • 52% support from Sapporo residents
  • 57% support from Hokkaido residents

 

[ 6 June 2022 - Sapporo rejects referendum over bidding for 2030 Winter Olympics - Japan Times newspaper - 06/06/22 ]

 

13 September 2022Survey: Majority support Sapporo as host of 2030 Winter Olympics - Asahi Shimbun newspaper  - 13/09/22

  • 55% national support
  •  Hokkaido only respondents: an equal amount were against the Games as were in favour of them
  • 70% national support from respondents aged in their thirties or younger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, stryker said:

Did you not read my initial post? Do you have any knowledge of how political polls work? No conspiracy. Most have some political bias whether they claim to be independent or not? No Japan didn`t come up with a fake national poll, but if the government wants one to be in their favor it doesn`t take much to get one on their side. And the Asahi Shimbun is a left-leaning publication right in line with the government.

Yet you have no evidence of your opinion poll conspiracy which cooks up a mere 55% support.

What you’re claiming doesn’t stack up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Asahi Shimbun newspaper is known for being very left leaning and against the LDP party (Shinzo Abe and Fumio Kishida party). If anything they wouldn't be supportive of the government so their poll is most likely to be unbiased and realistic.

Still though, I wonder if it will be enough to heal the damage caused by the corruption scandal. Then again lets not fool ourselves. Almost every host city of the Olympics in the last 3 decades has done something shady one way or another. I think what the IOC is looking forward the most is support from the population which is still surprisingly big despite the mess which was Tokyo 2020.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ikarus360 said:

Asahi Shimbun newspaper is known for being very left leaning and against the LDP party (Shinzo Abe and Fumio Kishida party). If anything they wouldn't be supportive of the government so their poll is most likely to be unbiased and realistic.

Still though, I wonder if it will be enough to heal the damage caused by the corruption scandal. Then again lets not fool ourselves. Almost every host city of the Olympics in the last 3 decades has done something shady one way or another. I think what the IOC is looking forward the most is support from the population which is still surprisingly big despite the mess which was Tokyo 2020.

… except for Hokkaido itself where it’s an even 50/50 split for and against the Games

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Yet you have no evidence of your opinion poll conspiracy which cooks up a mere 55% support.

What you’re claiming doesn’t stack up. 

I never said anything about a conspiracy (again I'll ask if you even read). Nearly all polls have some bias to them. Almost all are never truly objective. That's the point. If you believe every poll's numbers at face value then you probably believe Joe Biden would have beaten Donald Trump by far greater margin than most polls reported.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, stryker said:

I never said anything about a conspiracy (again I'll ask if you even read). Nearly all polls have some bias to them. Almost all are never truly objective. That's the point. If you believe every poll's numbers at face value then you probably believe Joe Biden would have beaten Donald Trump by far greater margin than most polls reported.

 

The bottom line is that the Hokkaido residents breakdown support for the Games in this latest poll is dead even 50/50 with those against the Games.

Nationally, it’s higher @55% but is a national poll irrelevant ?

Not looking promising for Sapporo 2030 if public opinion is gauged on poll results of local residents.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I'm late here on this topic but 55 percent support rate is a bit surprising after Tokyo 2020ne's failure.

The Asahi is left-leaning newspaper/media, but it has second largest number of subscribers in Japan, so you can't necessarily say that all of them are left-leaning. (So am I.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/18/2022 at 5:32 PM, stryker said:

I never said anything about a conspiracy (again I'll ask if you even read). Nearly all polls have some bias to them. Almost all are never truly objective. That's the point. If you believe every poll's numbers at face value then you probably believe Joe Biden would have beaten Donald Trump by far greater margin than most polls reported.

This has nothing to do with politics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...