Queen Elizabeth II passes away

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

1.  You forget that she was also a guest at the Oslo 1952 Opening.

2.  Also, DON'T CUT short "her representation" by other representatives in the other Olympic Games.  I don't think that really counts for anything, What are those folks "chopped liver"?  You're either fulll present at an OG and representing yourself or you're not. 

1. She wasn't at Oslo 1952? Her father had died only the week before. 

2. Australian and Canadian G-Gs are viceregal representatives of the Head of State - and in all of these instances its Queen Elizabeth II. She would have given her consent for their participation on behalf of the Crown. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

1. She wasn't at Oslo 1952? Her father had died only the week before. 

I don't why I thought that or read that somewhere.  I must've confused that with her being recalled when she was in Kenya with Philip and they had to cut their stay short and rush back to London.  Or I think she was going to head the UK VIP list but obviously had to cancel.  

I understand the rep thing.  But I've always found that justification to be phoney and dodgy.  If as you say (paraphrasing) she had those reprs becuase if she could've, she would have been there.  Alright, let me flip that argument on its "head."  THe heads of state who presided and opened their Olympic Games were indeed there and didn't have to send reps.  The prescribed words in the Olympic Charter are: "so and so forth, I hereby declare therse ...!"  I. not On behalf of the monarch who dare not show her face, I open.  NO!  Otherwise, as i stated, any vainglorious head of state, like ahem . . . ahem . . . a certain CONMAN whom very little national teams wanted to visit at the White House . . .  who could not be bothered to attend but wants to grab all the glory by sending one of his sycophants could do the same.  So in real HONEST, strict terms of being "present" at the Ceremony in body and spirit, you have to be there.  I will even excuse Old Queen Liz's dozing off at London 2012, since she had done the arduous job of parachuting into the Ceremony!  again, wink . .  wink.  But at least she was present to DOZE off herself -- not having send Prince Charles or Camilla to do so.  

Imagine if that creep Bolsonaro were president of Brazil in 2016, he could've sent his most loyal general to fill in for him.  For shame.  So, having "reps" deliver that one-line job instead of the GENUINE head of state do it for you, just doesn't cut it in my book.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

4 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Susan Boyle sings in The Queen in Glasgow 2014 with the pipe band and The Red Arrows overhead 

When, of course, Susan Boyle forgot some of the lyrics (as did Paul McCartney at London 2012).  Hmmmm . . . did the Queen's presence intimidate them?  B)  Makes one think and also this is the proof that it's OK to pre-record major, public performances like these which can then go wrong and cause embarrassing moments.  

“Her Majesty The Queen has been central to British Olympic life throughout her long and distinguished reign. As Patron of the British Olympic Association (BOA), her support for the Olympic Movement in this country and, in particular, the London 2012 Olympic Games cannot be underestimated and shall never be forgotten,” says Robertson, who served as Olympics Minister at the time of the London Games.”

5 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I don't why I thought that or read that somewhere.  I must've confused that with her being recalled when she was in Kenya with Philip and they had to cut their stay short and rush back to London.  Or I think she was going to head the UK VIP list but obviously had to cancel.  

I understand the rep thing.  But I've always found that justification to be phoney and dodgy.  If as you say (paraphrasing) she had those reprs becuase if she could've, she would have been there.  Alright, let me flip that argument on its "head."  THe heads of state who presided and opened their Olympic Games were indeed there and didn't have to send reps.  The prescribed words in the Olympic Charter are: "so and so forth, I hereby declare therse ...!"  I. not On behalf of the monarch who dare not show her face, I open.  NO!  Otherwise, as i stated, any vainglorious head of state, like ahem . . . ahem . . . a certain CONMAN whom very little national teams wanted to visit at the White House . . .  who could not be bothered to attend but wants to grab all the glory by sending one of his sycophants could do the same.  So in real HONEST, strict terms of being "present" at the Ceremony in body and spirit, you have to be there.  I will even excuse Old Queen Liz's dozing off at London 2012, since she had done the arduous job of parachuting into the Ceremony!  again, wink . .  wink.  But at least she was present to DOZE off herself -- not having send Prince Charles or Camilla to do so.  

Imagine if that creep Bolsonaro were president of Brazil in 2016, he could've sent his most loyal general to fill in for him.  For shame.  So, having "reps" deliver that one-line job instead of the GENUINE head of state do it for you, just doesn't cut it in my book.  

Queen Elizabeth II was the only Head of State in history to herself open two Olympic Games.

Melbourne 1956 - opened by Prince Consort and husband of Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip

Montreal 1976 - opened by Queen Elizabeth II

Sydney 2000 - opened by the Governor-General of Australia, Sir William Dean

London 2012 - opened by Queen Elizabeth II

Brisbane 2032 - highly likely to again be opened by the Governor-General of Australia

Yet you noted the 2 Canadian WOGs in earlier posts and again the 2 Ozzie SOGs. 

Melbourne 1956 - she WASN'T there. So what if even the Prince of Darkness represented her -- she wasn't there.   Neither was she in Sydney.  Again, she was 10,000 miles away.  Why should that count???  

You just post/repost so much stuff, AF.   

16 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Melbourne 1956 - she WASN'T there. So what if even the Prince of Darkness represented her -- she wasn't there.   Neither was she in Sydney.  Again, she was 10,000 miles away.  Why should that count???  

You’ve mistaken me for someone else.   I’ve not mentioned the WOGs in this thread … ever

Its a bit over 48 hours since Queen Elizabeth II passed at the age of 96, and the only Head of State in history to open two Olympic Games.

If you are really upset and don’t like that the Queen did not also open Melbourne 1956 and Sydney 2000, in addition to Montreal 1976 and London 2012, here is the link that you can write to Buckingham Palace and ask for an explanation:

>> Contact The Royal Family <<

The postal address:

His Majesty The King
Buckingham Palace
London SW1A 1AA 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

You’ve mistaken me for someone else.   I’ve not mentioned the WOGs in this thread … ever

Its a bit over 48 hours since Queen Elizabeth II passed at the age of 96, and the only Head of State in history to open two Olympic Games.

If you are really upset and don’t like that the Queen did not also open Melbourne 1956 and Sydney 2000, in addition to Montreal 1976 and London 2012, here is the link that you can write to Buckingham Palace and ask for an explanation:

>> Contact The Royal Family <<

The postal address:

His Majesty The King
Buckingham Palace
London SW1A 1AA 

Surprisingly its covered in the Crown on Netflix - Prince Philip was apparently sent on a tour which included opening the Melbourne Olympics because the Queen had a number of other tours to get through post coronation and had only visited Melbourne recently in 1954. In the Crown the Queen Mother suggests giving him the honour to keep him happy as that season ran a narrative of him adjusting to being in her shadow. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I never claimed she was. I said she could have opened up to six Olympic Games - between Australia, the UK and Canada we've hosted the Olympics on six occasions during which she was the Head of State of all host cities - thats an undeniable fact. In instances where another person has done this on her behalf (especially when its a G-G) it would have been undertaken with her express consent as they are viceregal. A Governor-General represents her as Head of State. 

The picture of Queen Elizabeth II appointing the 15th British Prime Minister of her reign just two days before her death sums up perfectly just what a profound and seismic period this is for our country. Whether you approve of the institution of monarchy or not, it is simply impossible to imagine that her record will ever be equalled, let alone surpassed.

For just over 11 of the 70 years of her reign, I lived and worked just a few miles from the Sandringham estate in Norfolk and it was this that took me to nearby Wolferton a few weeks before the initial Covid lockdown, when Her Majesty opened a new pumping station that replaced the one which her father had opened as King in 1948. The connection that part of the world has to the Royal Family is particularly strong and those of us who worked there in the media never shared the excitement of colleagues in other parts of the country about a royal visit because of the depth of that connection. Perhaps it was for that reason that, as I heard the news of her passing while checking into a hotel in Liverpool where I've been attending a conference over the past couple of days and as I watched God Save The King sung before the start of play in the Test match at the Oval this morning, I felt much more emotional than I had expected to. We always knew the day would eventually come but, given you'd have to be nearing 80 years old to be able to remember any other head of state in this country, one cannot overstate its significance. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, arwebb said:

The picture of Queen Elizabeth II appointing the 15th British Prime Minister of her reign just two days before her death sums up perfectly just what a profound and seismic period this is for our country. Whether you approve of the institution of monarchy or not, it is simply impossible to imagine that her record will ever be equalled, let alone surpassed.

For just over 11 of the 70 years of her reign, I lived and worked just a few miles from the Sandringham estate in Norfolk and it was this that took me to nearby Wolferton a few weeks before the initial Covid lockdown, when Her Majesty opened a new pumping station that replaced the one which her father had opened as King in 1948. The connection that part of the world has to the Royal Family is particularly strong and those of us who worked there in the media never shared the excitement of colleagues in other parts of the country about a royal visit because of the depth of that connection. Perhaps it was for that reason that, as I heard the news of her passing while checking into a hotel in Liverpool where I've been attending a conference over the past couple of days and as I watched God Save The King sung before the start of play in the Test match at the Oval this morning, I felt much more emotional than I had expected to. We always knew the day would eventually come but, given you'd have to be nearing 80 years old to be able to remember any other head of state in this country, one cannot overstate its significance. 

Her length of tenure is incredible. My Dad was born in 1951, me 1988 and my niece 2013, 62 years and separating and only one head of state was ever known. One of the last connections to the War, to an era of monarchy and leadership that has long past. Now only one woman sits on a throne of Europe. And she too is probably in the twilight of her life. 

It has been so long there is a lot of genuine confusion about the process of going through a change in who sits on the Throne of Canada. The level of general ignorance is kinda astounding to be honest. Previous governments have streamlined the process to make things a little more Quebec-proof. But the whining about the simple ceremony to proclaim Charles today at Rideau Hall was laughable. 

Edited by Faster
  • Like 1

“Three of the Queen’s children, Prince Andrew, Princess Anne and Prince Edward, have watched on in silence as their mother’s coffin was carried into the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh.”

“The solemn moment came after the Queen’s coffin travelled a six-hour journey from her beloved Balmoral estate where she died last Thursday.”

“The Queen’s oak coffin will now remain in the throne room, which is familiar to her, overnight.“