Queen Elizabeth II passes away

Dame Louise Martin, President of the Commonwealth Games Federation said:

“It is with profound sorrow that we learn of the passing of our Patron, Her Majesty The Queen. 

Throughout her long life and reign, her extraordinary dedication and service to the Commonwealth has been an inspiration to so many, including all our Commonwealth Games athletes and officials. 

Her Majesty’s vision for the Commonwealth as a diverse and united family of nations will continue to inspire us – and will remain our mission and duty for the benefit of all athletes and communities, through the power of sport.

Our thoughts and prayers are with His Majesty The King, The Queen Consort and all members of the Royal Family as we join with citizens across the Commonwealth in mourning her loss at this very sad time.”

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese says it is a day of profound grief and sadness, as Australia mourns the death of Queen Elizabeth II, aged 96.

"With the passing of Queen Elizabeth II, an historic reign and a long life devoted to duty, family, faith and service has come to an end," Mr Albanese said.

"There is comfort to be found in Her Majesty's own words: Grief is the price we pay for love."

I am so verklempft!  I am so broken up I don't think I can attend the funeral!  :(

Here's a bit of life imitating art.  Didn't the stunt man who jumped for her at the London 2012 Opening also die a few months ago?  She even out lived that man but not her mum.  

I wonder what Charles and Camilla's thoughts are? 

I wonder if this is the first time that the new monarch and his consort have the same first initial?  Saves on the cost of the towel monograms.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

While I support an Australian Republic, I've been quite emotional all day as most Australians are. Everyone on the train this morning in Melbourne was quiet and sombre. 

She is the first woman to open more than one Olympic Games (Montreal 1976 and London 2012), first woman to open any Summer Olympics, and the only one to do so in different host countries.

Aside from declaring open Montreal 1976 and London 2012 Games by herself, she was formally represented during the declaration on four other occasions: Melbourne 1956 (Duke of Edinburgh, on HM's behalf), Calgary 1988 (Governor General of Canada, Jeanne Sauve), Sydney 2000 (Governor General of Australia, Sir William Deane), and Vancouver 2010 (Governor General of Canada, Michaelle Jean). Effectively the opportunity was there for her to open up to six Olympics. 

In addition to this, she was by her father's side when he opened London 1948.

• Like 1

“With the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, we have lost a great supporter of sport and the Olympic Movement.”

“Her Majesty was the only head of state to declare open two editions of the Olympic Games and was already present at the Olympic Games London 1948.”

“As patron of the British Olympic Association, she provided invaluable advice and help to the Olympic community.”

Mea culpa, It was the guy playing 007 at the London 2012 OC, the skydiver Mark Sutton who died a year ago in August 2021.  

Mark Sutton dies: James Bond skydiver who plunged to his death into Alps mountain at 124mph took an 'aggressive' approach | Daily Mail Online 

Gary Connery, right, the skydiving 'Queen' prepares for his dramatic arrival at the Olympics opening ceremony on Friday night pictured with James Bond double Mark Sutton, middle, in the helicopter en route to the stadium
The late Mark SUtton in the center pre=dated his Queen's death. 

So, AustraliaFan, careful, a repeat of "Jet-Rocketman" (with military applications will certainly not "fly" for 2028).  

2 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

While I support an Australian Republic, I've been quite emotional all day as most Australians are. Everyone on the train this morning in Melbourne was quiet and sombre. 

She is the first woman to open more than one Olympic Games (Montreal 1976 and London 2012), first woman to open any Summer Olympics, and the only one to do so in different host countries.

Aside from declaring open Montreal 1976 and London 2012 Games by herself, she was formally represented during the declaration on four other occasions: Melbourne 1956 (Duke of Edinburgh, on HM's behalf), Calgary 1988 (Governor General of Canada, Jeanne Sauve), Sydney 2000 (Governor General of Australia, Sir William Deane), and Vancouver 2010 (Governor General of Canada, Michaelle Jean). Effectively the opportunity was there for her to open up to six Olympics. 

In addition to this, she was by her father's side when he opened London 1948.

1.  You forget that she was also a guest at the Oslo 1952 Opening.

2.  Also, DON'T CUT short "her representation" by other representatives in the other Olympic Games.  I don't think that really counts for anything, What are those folks "chopped liver"?  You're either fulll present at an OG and representing yourself or you're not. 

3.  Now the next "queen" to have many Olympic Ceremony openings is, I think, one-note Gloria Estefan. :lol: