Jump to content

Sapporo Mayor cancels 2030 Olympic bid visit to IOC amid Tokyo 2020 bribery scandal


GBModerator
 Share

Recommended Posts

Recent allegations of bribery against members of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic organizing committee and its partners are positioning Japan’s Sapporo 2030 Olympic Winter Games bid on thin ice. On Monday local reports revealed Sapporo Mayor Katsuhiro Akimoto canceled a planned September visit to International Olympic Committee (IOC) headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland intended to support the […]

The post Sapporo Mayor cancels 2030 Olympic bid visit to IOC amid Tokyo 2020 bribery scandal appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

 

Yes, this is a blow to Sapporo’s 2030 Winter Olympic’s bid chances just 90 days out from the IOC Executive Board Meeting early December which was expected to elevate a candidature, likely Sapporo, to Targed Dialogue for possible election in May 2023.

The timing could not have been worse for Sapporo 2030 with investigation ongoing and still uncovering the full extent of this unfolding scandal.  It remains to be seen in the ongoing investigation if there are, or not, other players involved in the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games investigation who are also linked to Sapporo’s 2030 candidature or the National Olympic Committee.

Absolutely a sense of dejavu and irony with Sapporo’s main competitor for 2030 itself the centre of bribery scandals leading up to the awarding of the 2002 Salt Lake City Games.

What a terribly blow and a depressing time for the Sapporo 2030 bid team.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

“Former Tokyo Olympic organizing committee executive Haruyuki Takahashi was arrested by prosecutors earlier this month on allegations that he received ¥51 million in bribes in exchange for giving apparel-maker Aoki Holdings special treatment in becoming a sponsor of the Games.”

“The ongoing investigation has once again put the spotlight on the role of money in large sporting events such as the Olympics, and is being watched closely in Sapporo, which is bidding to host the 2030 Winter Olympics and Paralympics.“

————————-

“To what extent the scandal is likely to be raised in parliament this autumn is unclear. But the political fallout has Sapporo particularly concerned, and the timing of the scandal is particularly bad for the 2030 hopeful. The city has embarked on a promotional campaign for its Winter Games bid, seeking to raise public awareness and gain support.”

“Sapporo Mayor Katsuhiro Akimoto will travel to Switzerland to meet with IOC President Thomas Bach. While the official decision on the 2030 host city by the IOC will be made next year, the finalists are likely to be decided by the end of this year. Sapporo’s rivals are Vancouver and Salt Lake City, Utah.“   >> This trip just cancelled.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The scandals of Salt Lake 2002 and Sapporo are quite different.  The scandals connected with the Salt Lake 1998 and 2002 bids were from its two leaders trying to bribe a victory (which they didn't need to).  The current scandals embroiling the Sapporo bid are a spillover from bribes of Tokyo 2020-related entities and NOT directly involving Sapporo 2030 personnel.  Also, the 2 individuals charged in the Salt Lake scandal were eventually absolved by the Justice Dept in that the 2 men did NOT break any US laws since bidding in international events are NOT covered by US law and whatever misdeeds they may have "committed" occurred outside the jurisdiction of US law.   

So the scandals are quite different in nature.  Really, apples and oranges.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

The scandals of Salt Lake 2002 and Sapporo are quite different.  The scandals connected with the Salt Lake 1998 and 2002 bids were from its two leaders trying to bribe a victory (which they didn't need to).  The current scandals embroiling the Sapporo bid are a spillover from bribes of Tokyo 2020-related entities and NOT directly involving Sapporo 2030 personnel.  Also, the 2 individuals charged in the Salt Lake scandal were eventually absolved by the Justice Dept in that the 2 men did NOT break any US laws since bidding in international events are NOT covered by US law and whatever misdeeds they may have "committed" occurred outside the jurisdiction of US law.   

So the scandals are quite different in nature.  Really, apples and oranges.  

I guess the question now is if the support for the 2030 Sapporo candidature by the Japanese Government will now hold up in the light of this ongoing investigation into last year’s Tokyo Games.  Linked or not, the political fallout could be devastating for Sapporo 2030.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't really know the full extent of what's going on here (anyone got a really simple summary of what's happened?) but it sounds like these are about contracts to the Tokyo committee? Rather than the IOC? So will it damage the Olympics in Japan or just the individuals on that committee and companies involved (I'm guessing Dentsu after the ceremony incident)? Between the revelations about the bid, the ceremony/Dentsu, and now this I'm surprised at how much corruption there seemingly was :( Hopefully Sapporo can distance themselves from all this, they would be ideal for 2030...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welp. The stars are really pushing Salt Lake in the IOC face, huh? Save a last minute hail mary, with Barcelona out, Sapporo getting the heat from Tokyo 2021 into their knees and Vancouver indecisive... It would be criminal not to consider Salt Lake as a front runner in the 2030 race now? Poor LA28, yes, but come on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Guilga said:

Welp. The stars are really pushing Salt Lake in the IOC face, huh? Save a last minute hail mary, with Barcelona out, Sapporo getting the heat from Tokyo 2021 into their knees and Vancouver indecisive... It would be criminal not to consider Salt Lake as a front runner in the 2030 race now? Poor LA28, yes, but come on!

Wondering if there would be some room of action for a certain scandinavian city to get its papers back and join the bunch.. if interested, of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welp. Looks like America will have to save the Olympics. Again.

God, these 2020+1 games have surely been one of the most spectacular messes in the history of the event. Covid cannot excuse it anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Welp. Looks like America will have to save the Olympics. Again.

God, these 2020+1 games have surely been one of the most spectacular messes in the history of the event. Covid cannot excuse it anymore.

You got that right.  Not sure if it's better or worse than this is all coming to light after they held their Olympics, but the fact that the country is looking at another Olympic bid just makes this all another giant mess that the Olympic movement will need to deal with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't really been reading deep into the Japanese reports but aren't all of these just charges at this point -- i.e., the accused still have to go to trial to prove their innocence or their guilt?  The Japanese -- and Yuriko will probably prove me wrong -- but aren't the Japanese very quick to act on breaking the law, then the trials also become a slog?? 

Edited by baron-pierreIV
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I haven't really been reading deep into the Japanese reports but aren't all of these just charges at this point -- i.e., the accused still have to go to trial to prove their innocence or their guilt?  The Japanese -- and Yuriko will probably prove me wrong -- but aren't the Japanese very quick to act on breaking the law, then the trials also become a slog?? 

We’re now just 90 days to the IOC Executive Board Meeting in December when either favourite Sapporo or Salt Lake City (with Vancouver an outside chance) were expected to be elevated to Targeted Dialogue for host election in May, seven years before the Ganes.

Now with this still unfolding investigation and the proverbial hitting the fan re Tokyo 2020, it’s clear that Sapporo 2030’s chances has also been severely impacted at the worst possible time with Sapporo 2030 cancelling their important meeting with the IOC at a critical time.

Who knows then what Sapporo 2030 will do, or if behind the scenes, the Japanese Government has had a gutful and pulling their support for 2030, sensing a political backlash from the populace and increased negativity towards the Olympics in public opinion.

This is truly dire for Sapporo 2030 and I don’t think the candidature will proceed.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

is it possible that the ioc goes resolute for an intern wog-decision like:

 

europe 2030 / alps 2030 / scandinavia 2030

denmark gets curling,

norway all the slaloms and glidings

sweden all the ice-branches and nordic

finland all the freestyles, moguls and stuf + biathlon

OR

milano-cortina 2026 >> southern-alps

innsbruck-garmisch 2030 >> northern-alos

OR simply named as

ALPS 2030 (austria-swiss-germany; coz germany has 4 slidings and famous kandahar-downhill) 

 

>> would this be feasable or a decent solution to save the 2030 games?

>> would such a decession spoil the targeted-dialoge next may in india/bombay sorry, rather mumbai?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, fatixxx said:

is it possible that the ioc goes resolute for an intern wog-decision like:

 

europe 2030 / alps 2030 / scandinavia 2030

denmark gets curling,

norway all the slaloms and glidings

sweden all the ice-branches and nordic

finland all the freestyles, moguls and stuf + biathlon

OR

milano-cortina 2026 >> southern-alps

innsbruck-garmisch 2030 >> northern-alos

OR simply named as

ALPS 2030 (austria-swiss-germany; coz germany has 4 slidings and famous kandahar-downhill) 

 

>> would this be feasable or a decent solution to save the 2030 games?

>> would such a decession spoil the targeted-dialoge next may in india/bombay sorry, rather mumbai?

This is not going to happen because there is no 2030 candidature from any of the regions you have mentioned above. 

If there is no candidature, there is no Continuous Dialogue.

If there is no Continuous Dialogue, there is no Targeted Dialogue.

If there is no Targeted Dialogue, there is no recommendation for a Games Host election.

If there is no Games Host Election, there is no Games.

The IOC have already announced that the December Executive Board Meeting in Lausanne will likely elevate a candidature to Targeted Dialogue.

The 2030 Candidatures are:

  • Sapporo 2030 - looks severely in trouble
  • Salt Lake City 2030 - suddenly looking more and more the favourite for 2030
  • Vancouver 2030 - still in with a chance but could be too little, too late

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

“Japanese Olympic Committee President Yasuhiro Yamashita stated, “I and the IOC spoke over the weekend. The scheduling didn’t go well and we mutually proposed to cancel it this time.”

“It’s unclear what derailed the scheduling between the two parties, but a source close to Sapporo’s bid for the 2030 Winter Olympics suggested the bribery case might have complicated relations.”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fatixxx said:

is it possible that the ioc goes resolute for an intern wog-decision like:

 

europe 2030 / alps 2030 / scandinavia 2030

denmark gets curling,

norway all the slaloms and glidings

sweden all the ice-branches and nordic

finland all the freestyles, moguls and stuf + biathlon

OR

milano-cortina 2026 >> southern-alps

innsbruck-garmisch 2030 >> northern-alos

OR simply named as

ALPS 2030 (austria-swiss-germany; coz germany has 4 slidings and famous kandahar-downhill) 

 

>> would this be feasable or a decent solution to save the 2030 games?

>> would such a decession spoil the targeted-dialoge next may in india/bombay sorry, rather mumbai?

No, it is very literally impossible.  The IOC can't simply say "we're putting the Olympics here and here and here."  As the saying goes, it takes 2 to tango.  Needs to be an organizing committee to organize the Olympics.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...