Qatar 2036

15 April 2022 - Inside The Games:

”Last month, International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach visited Doha to attend the opening of the 3-2-1 Qatar Olympic and Sports Museum.”

“During the opening speech in front of Bach and the Emir, Tamim al-Thani, a member of the IOC himself, Al-Mayassa bint Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, the chair of Qatar Museums, claimed that that the country's "Olympic dream is closer now than ever".

In order for it to "it could happen", the big elephant in the room has to be addressed first: the strict IOC mandate that the Summer Games take place between July 15th & Aug. 31st. Until that is addressed (whether by changing that rule, to the chagrin of many stakeholders & participants [it'd be far more complex to change the sporting calendar for many sports, versus just one with soccer for the WC]), this is a total non-starter, no matter how many "close links" Bach has to Qatar.

Plus, the awarding of the Olympic Games isn't exactly linear, so I don't necessarily agree with the sentiment that 2036 is "Asia's turn". If anything, the trend is that Europe doesn't go more than two cycles without hosting a Summer Olympics. Not to mention, when you already have the 2032 host in a favorable Asian time-zone anyway.

8 hours ago, FYI said:

In order for it to "it could happen", the big elephant in the room has to be addressed first: the strict IOC mandate that the Summer Games take place between July 15th & Aug. 31st. Until that is addressed (whether by changing that rule, to the chagrin of many stakeholders & participants [it'd be far more complex to change the sporting calendar for many sports, versus just one with soccer for the WC]), this is a total non-starter, no matter how many "close links" Bach has to Qatar.

Plus, the awarding of the Olympic Games isn't exactly linear, so I don't necessarily agree with the sentiment that 2036 is "Asia's turn". If anything, the trend is that Europe doesn't go more than two cycles without hosting a Summer Olympics. Not to mention, when you already have the 2032 host in a favorable Asian time-zone anyway.

Didn't matter for the 2022 World Cup. They lied in their bid and said they'd host in the usual timeframe, then amended it after it was awarded to the current November. 

its like an insane circumstance: the sauds, qatari even the emirates are in rivalry to organise an olympic games..

they know very good that they bumb out of the list because the time frame 15/7 - 31/8 doesnt fits in their over-heat time-frame

they are rely on their mony.. maybe they can do a shot all thogether a YOG-ME-2030 (me = middle east) 

but the only muslim country who deserves the sog is definitly istanbul (even with/or/not as a wildcard)

because its the only democratic muslim (secular) state in whole the region with a decent (in wide & depth)

sports-tradition since ottoman empire even before those states were born

and last but not least the time-frame fits well.. 

with the (in the TOP 5 in the world) IGA (istanbul grand airport) + secunda bosphorus canal + about 1000 km of underground metro +

5 (2 under-sea & 3 above sea) bosphorus-crossings and 2 future crossings (1 speed-metro undersea + 1 speed-air-rail above-sea)

and 2 criticle venue investment to go (for natatorium and velodrome) & upgrade/furbish/revamp/expand (some ore finishes) for about 40 venues

istanbul can leave a first-league olympics where almost everything is new/fresh because the city is in the turning-bend of her life-time

and getting shape with her mega-constructions and planning its bright future.. the city is not buildilg for an eventual olympics,

but is building as the city emerges for an general finalizing of her infrastucture and urban quarters/spaces till 2030..

our first candidacy was in 1993 for the 2000 olympics.. we are 2 generations further,

and turkiye is to eager to organise an eventual sog with over 88% public support.. 

post legacy use is a priority in whole the world but with a population of 20 million (now 16) will be no problem..

the world will be in happiness with an oriental-flavoured european city - the bicontinental games - with a lot of proffessionalism as in anglo-saxon countries

spacer.png

6 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Didn't matter for the 2022 World Cup. They lied in their bid and said they'd host in the usual timeframe, then amended it after it was awarded to the current November. 

They lied about those wonderful air condition stadiums, which we now know they didn't deliver. So it's not like they can pull another fast one with that.

But also, the Qatari's already admitted with their 2016 & 2020 Olympic attempts (which has many more outdoor sports than the WC) that hosting in July/Aug was not feasible due to their extreme weather conditions at that time, which is why they were proposing October dates instead. So the IOC would already know now, that any other date proposals (or more grand promises of air conditioned stadia) would be a big, fat lie.

2 hours ago, FYI said:

They lied about those wonderful air condition stadiums, which we now know they didn't deliver. So it's not like they can pull another fast one with that.

But also, the Qatari's already admitted with their 2016 & 2020 Olympic attempts (which has many more outdoor sports than the WC) that hosting in July/Aug was not feasible due to their extreme weather conditions at that time, which is why they were proposing October dates instead. So the IOC would already know now, that any other date proposals (or more grand promises of air conditioned stadia) would be a big, fat lie.

As a Melburnian it would be very frustrating to see Qataris or any other Gulf state get a pass on dates - given it was the show stopper the AOC proclaimed it to be and the reason they got behind Brisbane. Same goes for Sydney - too cold in July/August. 

4 hours ago, FYI said:

^Exactly, & it would deem all the "new norm" rhetoric a complete farce & total sham. But something tells me that all the major broadcasters & sports federations would at least put up a big stink about it first.

Many of those sports federations have in the past decade gladly swallowed all (empty) promises and more importantly cash that Qatar offered and awarded them their various World Champs. Saudi Arabia is following the same route now. 

I‘ll believe they make a „big stink“ when they really do it and until then stay pessimistic when it comes to the IOC bot bending their own rules when they could benefit (=$$$$) from it.

Rest easy guys, there’s absolutely zero chance of any Middle East country or emirate, eg Saudi Arabia or Qatar, hosting an Olympic or Paralympic Games in the deadly heat of July/August when it’s 38 degrees Celsius at 3am!

Zero chance.

Forget NBC or their successor.  Irrelevant.

No-one would stomach such deadly heat. Not the IOC, not the Sporting Federations, not the Athletes, not the Officials, not the Spectators.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Duncan McKay has nearly done a complete 180 on Doha`s chances of hosting the 2036 SOGs. The Budweiser fiasco was probably enough though. This just after a couple months ago where he wrote questioning if maybe 2036 would finally be Doha`s time. Not only is it not, I'm sure the Budweiser ordeal probably kills the likes of Saudi Arabia or any other conservative Islamic country from hosting.

Has the FIFA World Cup already ended hopes of Doha hosting 2036 Olympic Games? (insidethegames.biz)

On 11/29/2022 at 11:55 AM, stryker said:

Duncan McKay has nearly done a complete 180 on Doha`s chances of hosting the 2036 SOGs. The Budweiser fiasco was probably enough though. This just after a couple months ago where he wrote questioning if maybe 2036 would finally be Doha`s time. Not only is it not, I'm sure the Budweiser ordeal probably kills the likes of Saudi Arabia or any other conservative Islamic country from hosting.

Has the FIFA World Cup already ended hopes of Doha hosting 2036 Olympic Games? (insidethegames.biz)

It’s a great article, isn’t it? Just read it and was about to post here, then I saw you’d already done so.

I really liked the insights into why Doha was dropped from the 2016 race:

“The World Cup would not even be taking place in Qatar if it had not been for the IOC’s decision in 2008 not to include Doha on the shortlist for the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games, which were awarded to Rio de Janeiro. The snub led to officials in the Arab country switching their attention to bidding for the World Cup, something I revealed exclusively.

IOC President at the time Jacques Rogge claimed it was because the October dates chosen by Doha to stage the Games were outside its recommendations, but insidethegames has been told by several members that they persuaded the Belgian to block the bid because of fears that the Qataris would use its huge financial muscle to influence the vote.”

That rings true to me.

On 12/1/2022 at 1:52 AM, Sir Rols said:

It’s a great article, isn’t it? Just read it and was about to post here, then I saw you’d already done so.

I really liked the insights into why Doha was dropped from the 2016 race:

“The World Cup would not even be taking place in Qatar if it had not been for the IOC’s decision in 2008 not to include Doha on the shortlist for the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games, which were awarded to Rio de Janeiro. The snub led to officials in the Arab country switching their attention to bidding for the World Cup, something I revealed exclusively.

IOC President at the time Jacques Rogge claimed it was because the October dates chosen by Doha to stage the Games were outside its recommendations, but insidethegames has been told by several members that they persuaded the Belgian to block the bid because of fears that the Qataris would use its huge financial muscle to influence the vote.”

That rings true to me.

They bought the WC and there's no reason to think they wouldn't try the same thing. I'm sure as well in 2008 that memories of the SLC scandal were still fresh in the minds of the IOC as well.

For all the controversy, IMO the biggest factor working against Doha now besides the weather is the fact that Qatar is running the WC, not FIFA. The Budweiser fiasco effectively confirmed FIFA had lost control of its own tournament. The IOC won't want the same thing to happen with the Olympics. Hypothetically, I could easily see a Doha Olympics banning the Israeli team from entering the country a couple weeks before the games and calling it a "visa issue" despite earlier promises they'd be allowed. And there would be absolutely nothing the IOC would be able to do other than express their displeasure and apologize to the Israelis. It's not like they could relocate the Olympics that close to a start date anyway.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, stryker said:

They bought the WC and there's no reason to think they wouldn't try the same thing. I'm sure as well in 2008 that memories of the SLC scandal were still fresh in the minds of the IOC as well.

For all the controversy, IMO the biggest factor working against Doha now besides the weather is the fact that Qatar is running the WC, not FIFA. The Budweiser fiasco effectively confirmed FIFA had lost control of its own tournament. The IOC won't want the same thing to happen with the Olympics. Hypothetically, I could easily see a Doha Olympics banning the Israeli team from entering the country a couple weeks before the games and calling it a "visa issue" despite earlier promises they'd be allowed. And there would be absolutely nothing the IOC would be able to do other than express their displeasure and apologize to the Israelis. It's not like they could relocate the Olympics that close to a start date anyway.

Also IOC despite recently hosting an olympics in China and Russia, has far more involvement with human rights. Specially considering that there exist far less LGBT figures in men's football than in other sports. Back in tokyo 2020 there were 163 openly LGBT athletes, some which won medals for their countries. In an hypotetical qatar olympics what, they're just gonna ban them from participating?

7 hours ago, BigVic said:

An Olympics have never been shifted to September-October since Sydney 2000. NBC or whomever is broadcasting will never want this to happen. Brisbane 2032 is held in July-August 2032 which is our winter monhts in Australia 

If Qatar gets the 2036 games, that might be the case first time since Sydney 2000.

But, but, what about Bach's "close links" to Qatar. McKay's complete 180 from his previous stance just a few months ago seems pretty off-kilter. The Budweiser issue doesn't seem to be enough of a deal breaker, considering the main issues that would face a Doha bid TBW.