Germany moots Olympic bid amid European Games, but hurdles are challenging

GBModerator

Buoyed by euphoria surrounding the successful European Championships being held in Munich this month, the German Olympic Sports Confederation (DOSB) is once again opening a discussion about bringing the Olympic Games back to Germany. Dubbed by the local media as a mini-Olympics, nine sports championships are being contested in Munich making it the largest sport […]

The post Germany moots Olympic bid amid European Games, but hurdles are challenging appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

No doubt about it Germany could hold a very successful summer or winter games in the not too distant future, but 2036 would be a major own goal for both Germany and the Olympic movement considering the games of a century earlier.

I don't think there has been any sign of revived interest in a Munich Winter Olympic bid but Munich 2030 could solve a few headaches for the IOC.

Just read a comment about the European Championships finishing today:

“It was fantastic, wonderful, incredible - and all without the IOC!“

I think this summarises the main issue any German bid is facing: the three letters that will trigger all kinds of (very justified) negativity. And I doubt this can be overcome anytime soon…

There is something that just feels a bid more laid back and relaxed about them - was the same in Glasgow too.   Perhaps just so little expectation around them, unlike the IOC backed European Games which pretty much felt like they had flopped before they even got started.

Ideally they'd sort their act out and join forces for a proper Eurolympics, but if not I think if the European Championships can get a more permanent commitment from athletics and swimming they could exist longer term.

Would love a Winter version too.

I really hope they can get this sorted out to create a proper European continental games, ideally as said above by folding the Baku games, bringing athletics and aquatics into the Championships properly and bringing more sports options into their programme - maybe around 15-20 total like the Commonwealth. I do like the almost modular nature of the Championships though, good for host cities. Would be an ideal next step for Birmingham in the late 20s or early 30s before committing to a full on pursuit of the Olympics.