“Indonesia's new capital city will be the focus of the country's bid for the 2036 Olympic and Paralympic Games.”

“President Joko Widodo confirmed Nusantara will be proposed to stage the Olympics and the Government has committed to building sports facilities there to boost its infrastructure.”

Jokowi hopes to host 2036 Olympics in new capital Nusantara - 6 August 2022 - TheStar

“JAKARTA (The Jakarta Post/Asia News Network): President Joko 'Jokowi'Widodo appears to have reignited his lofty ambitions of holding an international sporting tournament by building new state-of-the-art sports training facilities in the country’s new capital of Nusantara, in East Kalimantan, as part of the country’s bid to host the 2036 Olympics.”

Indonesia Eyes to Host 2036 Olympics in New Capital Nusantara - 03/08/2022 - Jakarta Globe

“Indonesia is seeking to host the 2036 Olympics in Nusantara, the country’s planned new state capital located in the province of East Kalimantan.”

“Not long ago, the president gave an instruction to propose a bid to host the 2036 Olympics and the proposal already stated that it would take place in the new state capital,” Youth Affairs and Sports Minister Zainudin Amali said on Wednesday at the State Palace in Jakarta, shortly after a meeting with President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo.

• 3 weeks later...

It is all just playing to domestic audiences I guess.

Even if all other factors (economy, environment, weather during time window, political stability) are ignored, it is just basically around the corner (globally seen) from the 2032 host. The IOC will not do this for summer (and in winter only if they‘re pushed like in 2022).

I‘m sure though interested persons will keep this thread alive for years by adding some empty bla bla statements from Indonesian officials to it anyway.

14 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

It is all just playing to domestic audiences I guess.

Even if all other factors (economy, environment, weather during time window, political stability) are ignored, it is just basically around the corner (globally seen) from the 2032 host. The IOC will not do this for summer (and in winter only if they‘re pushed like in 2022).

From the Inside the Games report of 9 August, a key takeaway is that the

KOI is already discussing 2036 with the Future Host Commission, according to Oktohari”.

In addition, I don’t think that anyone is claiming the new capital will be built by 2036 as that will take time of course.

President Joko Widodo confirmed Nusantara proposed to stage the Olympics and the Government has committed to building sports facilities there to boost its infrastructure”.

4 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

From the Inside the Games report of 9 August, a key takeaway is that the

KOI is already discussing 2036 with the Future Host Commission, according to Oktohari”.

In addition, I don’t think that anyone is claiming the new capital will be built by 2036 as that will take time of course.

President Joko Widodo confirmed Nusantara proposed to stage the Olympics and the Government has committed to building sports facilities there to boost its infrastructure”.

So the capital city won`t be ready by 2036 but they still want to talk hosting? Talk about a pipe dream. Frankly, I think the IOC knows this but the only reason they might have reps from Indonesia, Qatar, or any other prospective host that has no chance of hosting any Olympics is to simply check the box. After all, the last thing the IOC wants to be seen is is prejudiced towards the Muslim world. So they can easily string them along, keep the dialogue at a minimum, and then deep six Indonesia when a credible cost-effective bid from some place else like London or Rome comes forward.

Quite possibly.

We shouldn’t forget either that an Olympic candidature assessment by the IOC’s Future Host Commission is exactly what it says.  It will not assess if a new capital city has been completed or not.

The Commission will rigorously assess on these like adequate venues, distance, weather, accommodation, transport infrastructure, past big event hosting experience, spectator requirements, hosting window (July/August), government financial support, etc etc.

So long as all the essential ingredients are in place come Games time, there’s nothing which requires Indonesia to have completed the building of it’s whole capital city by then.  

18 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Quite possibly.

We shouldn’t forget either that an Olympic candidature assessment by the IOC’s Future Host Commission is exactly what it says.  It will not assess if a new capital city has been completed or not.

The Commission will rigorously assess on these like adequate venues, distance, weather, accommodation, transport infrastructure, past big event hosting experience, spectator requirements, hosting window (July/August), government financial support, etc etc.

So long as all the essential ingredients are in place come Games time, there’s nothing which requires Indonesia to have completed the building of it’s whole capital city by then.  

Coincidentally basically all of that is required for the capital to be finished anyway...

28 minutes ago, Comped said:

Coincidentally basically all of that is required for the capital to be finished anyway...

Not at all.  There’s no way in God’s earth that the entire capital city will be completed by 2036.

But they could have enough of what they need in place to run a successful Games:  Roads, freeways, hotels, transport infrastructure, venues, medical, etc etc.

The 2036 Games infrastructure would lead and be ahead of the ongoing building of the capital city which has begun already and will continue through to and well beyond 2036.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Not at all.  There’s no way in God’s earth that the entire capital city will be completed by 2036.

But they could have enough of what they need in place to run a successful Games:  Roads, freeways, hotels, transport infrastructure, venues, medical, etc etc.

The 2036 Games infrastructure would lead and be ahead of the ongoing building of the capital city which has begun already and will continue through to and well beyond 2036.

At the speed construction is currently going, I heavily doubt it would make any sense for them to do that, because I doubt it's going to even be ready for that time. If you were talking closer to 25 for 30 years from now I could see it, but I don't see how the timeline would match up even if they did the bare minimum in order to try to get a hosting spot...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nusantara, Indonesia

IOC CONFIRMATION:    New Norm Host Selection Process

10 COUNTRIES CONFIRMED TO BE IN CONTINUOUS DIALOGUE WITH THE INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE FOR THE 2036 SUMMER GAMES

Indonesia is believed to be one of the ten countries.

This report below from Inside The Games:

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

Qatar Day- Pulse of Nation on Twitter: "Doha, Qatar: Then And Now ❤️❤️  #doha #qatar #qatarday #skyline https://t.co/d20xHjNqI9" / Twitter

I dont think having nothing built is really a problem, specially considering qatar has built itself over the last 20 years and this sunday is hosting the biggest single sport tournament in the world.

Apples and oranges. Qatar still existed well before it was “chosen” to host. It was also filthy, indeed indecently, rich.

• Thanks 1