Gamesbids Livechat: Closing Ceremony Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games

12 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Yeah that's really why I thought they'd use it, especially at the closing. From the moment the awful bit of the handover gave way to the flashmob we should've known Brum would nail it ;)

what awful bit of the handover  ?

29 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Loved the handover performances to Victoria 2026!

Especially Baker Boy. What a talent he is and delivered a powerful and catchy rap performance.

Loved Vanessa Amarosi’s return to a ceremony too.

Go Victoria 2026!

Baker Boy has only ever sung one song and I am over it now! Every time he performs he sings it. Sorry but I am so over it. 

I think Birmingham’s was more catchy and loved the tie in with a live feed of Brum. 

Do we know why there was no speech though? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Baker Boy has only ever sung one song and I am over it now! Every time he performs he sings it. Sorry but I am so over it. 

I think Birmingham’s was more catchy and loved the tie in with a live feed of Brum. 

Baker Boy has sung a lot of songs, he’s a top emerging artist and didn’t do that on the back of the hit Medetjin which he performed tonight.

Here are some of the others:

Marryuna - Baker Boy ft Yirrmal - youtube clip

Cool as Hell - Baker Boy

In Control - Baker Boy

Butterflies - Baker Boy

Survive - Baker Boy

Black Magic - Baker Boy

Wish You Well - Baker Boy

Meditjin

7 hours ago, Victorian said:

Speeches by the next hosts at handovers are not done at Com Games or Olympics.

They simply handover the flag to the next host then that host does their handover performance …. that’s it.

It really was an uplifting energised handover performance by Victoria 2026.  Very fitting for this innovative multi-city model for the next Commonwealth Games. 

Lovely ceremony that was predominantly in the form of a concert. Loved the music from Birmingham and the Handover to Victoria 2026. Costumes worn by the dancers throughout the ceremony were great and colourful. Really loved the Indigenous showcase and videos of certain Victorian locations. Loud and happy way to end Brum 2022. Bring on Victoria!

15 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Speeches by the next hosts at handovers are not done at Com Games or Olympics.

They simply handover the flag to the next host then that host does their handover performance …. that’s it.

It really was an uplifting energised handover performance by Victoria 2026.  Very fitting for this innovative multi-city model for the next Commonwealth Games. 

Sorry but your wrong. I had a look and since the CWG have had the next host present at the ceremony (from 1998 onwards), every time, there has been an acceptance/welcoming speech. Look at youtube replays if your unsure 

6 hours ago, Victorian said:

Sorry but your wrong. I had a look and since the CWG have had the next host present at the ceremony (from 1998 onwards), every time, there has been an acceptance/welcoming speech. Look at youtube replays if your unsure 

You’re right, I stand corrected.

I think Gold Coast stupid and disastrous rambling long list of speeches at that embaressing mess of a 2018 Closing Ceremony has  put a spotlight on speeches and I’d say effectively killed off any need to have a speech at the handover to the new host.

There really is no need for hand over speeches, as the Olympics have demonstrated.

I think a hand over ceremony speaks for itself and there really is no need to spoil it with yet another unnecessary speech.   

4 hours ago, The Tower Bridge Fox said:

I liked the opening Ceremony ,but  I think Britain should stop biding for major events that it doesn't want to have to pay for.
I found this closing ceremony cheep dowdy and provincial. I didn't like it at all.

Provincial?

Yes exactly right.

I’m not sure if you realise that provincial is the new model for the Commonwealth Games.    

Birmingham 2022’s inaugural outstandng success in staging these 2022 Games across the West Midlands regions with several athletes villages near the various sports was exactly what will revive the outdated and old ‘capital city model’.

Bravo Birmingham 2022, you have led the way and especially with your fantastic and emotional Ceremonies. These reflected this new provincial model for the Commonwealth Games and Victoria 2026 is following on with an even more provinical Games mostly well away from the capital city.

This trend is also reflected in the new norm Olympics model.

I was so glad it was provincial. Its about time other areas outside of London were celebrated. I found the closing ceremony as wonderful as the opening. It was bold and it was confident. They pulled off the greatest set of Ceremonies the CWG have ever seen.

If the CWG is to survive it needs to embrace this regional model as it is doing for Victoria. Putting more sport in peoples backyards in different areas of a region will get more people engaged. 

I hope the whole region gets a massive boost from this and maybe a bit of investment will get diverted from London to other areas in dire need especially in infrastructure because Londoners do not need another way of getting from A to B.

• Like 1

Provincial is why it worked! That's what makes the alternation between UK and Oz bearable...

Edited by yoshi
Most of it wasn't really appropriate for this thread, I started a new thread for Games verdicts