Nikea Weightlifting Hall

f9f.jpg

They built a stadium to honour the success of the Greek weightlifters.

It was the first time that a stadium was built just for the weightlifting events of the Olympic Games.

A couple of days ago the Ministry of Culture decided it to take the weightlifters out of the stadium and to give it to the University of Pireas to use it as teaching facility.

Weird or Crazy?

-------------

Meanwhile the badminton stadium at Goudi area goes private. It's the first Olympic Facility that passes from the public to private hands which will use it for entairtement.

I think it's an indication that the Summer Olympic Games have just become too big.  I mean, really, it's only the 5+ million cities now that don't have to go on a spending binge in order to hope to host a SOG, having enough of other facilities.  BUt in Athens' case, which built many new venues, what does a smallish city really do with all those venues after the 2 weeks are over?   :oo:

So, they have to scale down the size of the Games.  I mean I wouldn't see the difference between 10,500 athletes in Opening Ceremony to, say, 8,300.   :suspect:  So the size of the SOGs today are really insane.  The smaller sports should just shut up and get out.

It's really sad to see what is currently happening with the wonderful venues of Athens.

But the Athens 2004 Games aren't the only sports event whose venues turned into overly-expensive ghost towns afterwards. Leipzig is just another example for that: The new Zentralstadion isn't running profitable at all -- since the city has no premier league football team which could attract a sufficient number of fans to the stadium. Actually, the stadium will have its glorious days only at the upcoming FIFA World Cup -- but then all glory will be over, and it has to be feared that the glory will be over forever.

Seeing that, one might ask himself: "So why the hell did they build that stadium, after all?". Well, the answer is simple: Prestige. Unless the major sports events don't lose some of their glamour, we'll always have to deal with megalomaniac and careless organisers and architects who try to surpass each other with even bigger, even prettier and even more innovative venues -- regardless of all profitability (i.e. especially financial) aspects.

the games are big..deal with it or dont host it thats my opinion...if u dont have a legacy in place thats your issue nobody forced you to bid and nobody forced most things on a city....u build new venues u sort our its legacy whether its a warehouse or industrial storage facility....i dont see how some bids can propose new venues without including 7 temporary pavillions for smaller sports which a city like paris proposed and prob could host without...

Archived