Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thatsnotmypuppy

Not Ready To Make Nice - Dixie Chicks

Well some of you know I am a bit of a country fan (note - that is country - not country and western - there is a huge difference) and I have had the latest Dixie Chicks song on rotation for about 2 weeks now.

It's a very personal rebuttal to all the idiots who lost their shi t over Natalie Maine's admission at a London show in 2003 that they were embarassed to come from Texas - home of George W Bush.  What followed that statement was purely amazing.  It made the front of a few papers here in Australia as well as cause a fair bit of discussion about America's faith in it's own ability to protect the right to free speech.

The Dixie Chicks faced massive criticism in the USA from all angles - CD's were smashed, concert dates almost cancelled due to consumer backlash and a huge radio block out was started - and the stigma is still attached.  It was reported earlier this year that a few venues in the Southern USA did not allow the Dixie Chicks to book dates there for their 'Long Road' tour which defiantly kicks off in London later this year.

So what is your take on the song?

You can hear it at www.dixiechicks.com as well as see the stunning video.  Even if you hate the whole concept of country music, this is an important song - perhaps the first fully defiant protest song of this millennia from a major label act.  Yes, that is a big call considering Green Day gave us a whole album of them with 'American Idiot' - byut this song doesn't criticise the USA - it flips the bird, drops their pants and shits on those who dare to put addendums and restrictions on free speech.

Here are the lyrics -

Forgive, sounds good

Forget, I’m not sure I could

They say time heals everything

But I’m still waiting

I’m through with doubt

There’s nothing left for me to figure out

I’ve paid a price

And I’ll keep paying

I’m not ready to make nice

I’m not ready to back down

I’m still mad as hell and

I don’t have time to go round and round and round

It’s too late to make it right

I probably wouldn’t if I could

‘Cause I’m mad as hell

Can’t bring myself to do what it is you think I should

I know you said

Can’t you just get over it

It turned my whole world around

And I kind of like it

I made my bed and I sleep like a baby

With no regrets and I don’t mind sayin’

It’s a sad sad story when a mother will teach her

Daughter that she ought to hate a perfect stranger

And how in the world can the words that I said

Send somebody so over the edge

That they’d write me a letter

Sayin’ that I better shut up and sing

Or my life will be over

‘Cause I’m mad as hell

‘Cause I’m mad as hell

Forgive, sounds good

Forget, I’m not sure I could

They say time heals everything

But I’m still waiting

Your thoughts?

Good for the Dixie Chicks for not letting this just fade away.  The irony of the US backlash against their expression of opinion never failed to amaze me.  I’ll be interested to see how those who were so critical take to this new song and whether they understand it!  As I remember a lot of radio stations removed them from playlists.  Wonder if they will be back?

An excellent song – and although I only own one of their albums I’m inclined to buy their new album on the basis of this song.

( On a separate note (poor pun but hey!) re country music I love Alison Krauss – such a beautiful voice although maybe a bit too bluegrass for some)

If I had handled the editing of the Salt Lake Opening for all future DVD releases, I would have cut out their section.  Those traitorous trollops!!  :angry:

:unclesam:

That type of rampant American patriotism is un-Australian!  Also, why the he ll on a Canadian site is there an American smiley and no queen/jacques chirac/aussie smliley?  This is racism!  MOderator!  Fix!   :angry:

If I had handled the editing of the Salt Lake Opening for all future DVD releases, I would have cut out their section.  Those traitorous trollops!!  :angry:

:unclesam:

It was so stupid of her to make that sort of statement when the majority of their fans (puppy not included) are/were from red states!  :rolleyes:

Oh well.  They had a right to make their statement.  And their former fans had the freedom to make their statement as well - namely stop buying their albums. :unclesam:

Also, why the he ll on a Canadian site is there an American smiley and no queen/jacques chirac/aussie smliley?  This is racism!  MOderator!  Fix!

I thought this one was Chirac  :kungfu:

Also, why the he ll on a Canadian site is there an American smiley and no queen/jacques chirac/aussie smliley?  This is racism!  MOderator!  Fix!

I thought this one was Chirac  :kungfu:

well, how about the 199 other nations without smileys / hateys / sniffeys / barfees, etc.?

I'll admite that I am a closet Dixie Chick fan. Their label has given them a lot of room, Goodbye Earl anyone? They had the right, just like Eddie Veder had the right to impail the mask of Bush on a microphone in Denver in 2003.

I still love them and still think they are the hottest that country has to offer.

This song is always being played on the big screen at the bar/cafe where I work, and it's actually growing on me.

I really like the music video to it aswell.