China is NUTS to pass new law.

Wow!  The heights of authoritarianism seek new levels.  Big, bad China is now passing a law to regulate even free speech and criticism of its teams in competitions abroad!  How would they enforce this NUTSO edict abroad?  :wacko:

China Changes Law So It Can Hit Back at Insults at Sports Events (msn.com) 

China Changes Law So It Can Hit Back at Insults at Sports Events

(Bloomberg) -- Chinese lawmakers approved a change to the law that would allow it to fight back at any perceived insult at international sporting events, underscoring the lengths President Xi Jinping’s government will go to protect China’s reputation abroad.

The Standing Committee of the National People’s Congress on Friday passed the revision to the Law on Physical Culture and Sports to allow for countermeasures if any country, region or organization undermines the nation’s sovereignty, security, development interests or dignity in international sports events, according to full texts of the revised law released by official Xinhua News Agency.

There are no details on what constitutes an infringement of rights or dignity. The revised law will take effect on Jan. 1, 2023.

The ruling Communist Party has a history of sternly responding to the slightest criticism, whether about close ties with Russia after the invasion of Ukraine or the government’s activities in the far western region of Xinjiang, where it’s been accused of human rights abuses. 

Last month, when World Health Organization chief Tedros Ghebreyesus said China’s zero-tolerance Covid strategy was not “sustainable,” a Foreign Ministry spokesman immediately hit back, saying “the relevant individual” should “try to get a better understanding of the facts and refrain from making irresponsible remarks.”

The government’s hypersensitive defense of its policies also involves the sports world. After Boston Celtics player Enes Kanter made statements in support of Tibet last year, internet giant Tencent Holdings Ltd. removed all live-streaming for the National Basketball Association team’s games.

In 2019, a tweet by Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey in support of pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong prompted state broadcaster China Central Television to suspend showing NBA contests for about a year. 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

1 hour ago, Olympics2028 said:

The prestige and tradition of the Olympics and IOC were greatly helped by Beijing hosting both the summer and winter games.

The IOC should award a future winter games to some wintry wonderland in Siberia and a future summer games to some scenic nirvana in Bangladesh or Kenya.

Do you actually believe that?  Somehow I doubt the IOC is looking at the 2022 Winter Olympics and thinking it benefitted their brand

47 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Do you actually believe that?  Somehow I doubt the IOC is looking at the 2022 Winter Olympics and thinking it benefitted their brand

Well, tokyo was their shot for increasing their PR and they simply got it to waste by basically forcing them to host with no economic benefit during a sanitary crisis (literally only a country like russia or china would partner with such an organization). And well, beijing as with sochi, it didn't improve IOC reputation, but clearly accomplished its purpose as propaganda for China PR.

49 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

Well, tokyo was their shot for increasing their PR and they simply got it to waste by basically forcing them to host with no economic benefit during a sanitary crisis (literally only a country like russia or china would partner with such an organization). And well, beijing as with sochi, it didn't improve IOC reputation, but clearly accomplished its purpose as propaganda for China PR.

I don't think so.  In most of my social circles, China's got a terrible reputation.  Hosting the OWG did nothing to improve their reputation in the USA and it certainly didn't in figure skating circles.  

My concern with this new law is how it would apply to any athlete who criticizes China and, later down the line, earns a berth at an international competition being hosted in China.  For instance, China has been provisionally allocated to host the ISU's 2024 Four Continents Championships - what if some skater from Canada or the US re-tweeted a political comment that was critical of China and later earned one of their country's berths to the event?  How could this law be applied to them?  Would they, potentially, have to decline the event assignment out of fear of reprisal?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

I would guess the second paragraph gave it away as sarcasm?

The 2nd paragraph was clearly sarcasm.  Not sure about the 1st.  Tough to tell on this one because there's a fine line between trolling and ignorance and this poster tends to flirt with it on a regular basis

7 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

Yes and no.  Tokyo was already headed over budget, so it wouldn't have been great PR for the IOC to have partnered with another country whose budget ran out of control, even if the country is Japan who has a massive GDP and can better absorb it.

That "forcing them to host" was really a 2 way street.  As much as the idea of hosting an Olympics during a pandemic was unpopular amongst Japanese citizens, Japanese leadership was determined to push through rather than to cancel the event.  And major sponsors wanted to ensure it happened so that Tokyo could get shown off around the world on TV even if the usually economic boon of visitors to the city didn't happen.

As much as we're associating the IOC with places that probably should have hosted the games for various reasons, look at the future.. France, Italy, United States, Australia.  Add either Japan or Canada to that plus likely another trip to the US.  It's the first time in a long time the IOC doesn't have any questionable host choices on the future calendar.  And hopefully it stays that way for awhile.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Karenina said:

I don't think so.  In most of my social circles, China's got a terrible reputation.  Hosting the OWG did nothing to improve their reputation in the USA and it certainly didn't in figure skating circles.  

My concern with this new law is how it would apply to any athlete who criticizes China and, later down the line, earns a berth at an international competition being hosted in China.  For instance, China has been provisionally allocated to host the ISU's 2024 Four Continents Championships - what if some skater from Canada or the US re-tweeted a political comment that was critical of China and later earned one of their country's berths to the event?  How could this law be applied to them?  Would they, potentially, have to decline the event assignment out of fear of reprisal?

We'll see how this plays out.  Athletes know they need to be careful about what they say when they're in China.  The question then becomes how many are the financial fortunes of certain athletes tied to money coming in from China?  Will athletes choose not to participate there and/or will organizations hesitate to host events there (think women's tennis).  There was a ton of criticism in the lead up to the Beijing games, but now that spotlight is off of them.  What was a clear case of sportswashing when the world was paying attention may not resonate as much now when it's no longer a part of the conversation on a regular basis on social media

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Yes and no.  Tokyo was already headed over budget, so it wouldn't have been great PR for the IOC to have partnered with another country whose budget ran out of control, even if the country is Japan who has a massive GDP and can better absorb it.

That "forcing them to host" was really a 2 way street.  As much as the idea of hosting an Olympics during a pandemic was unpopular amongst Japanese citizens, Japanese leadership was determined to push through rather than to cancel the event.  And major sponsors wanted to ensure it happened so that Tokyo could get shown off around the world on TV even if the usually economic boon of visitors to the city didn't happen.

As much as we're associating the IOC with places that probably should have hosted the games for various reasons, look at the future.. France, Italy, United States, Australia.  Add either Japan or Canada to that plus likely another trip to the US.  It's the first time in a long time the IOC doesn't have any questionable host choices on the future calendar.  And hopefully it stays that way for awhile.

Sorry, but really looking at the US from here does make you wonder whether that’ll really still be a safe choice in the not too distant future. And while France dodged the bullet at the Presidential election, the parliament is now completely unstable, and who knows where Italy is heading - they’re really not a superstable country now either. 

2 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Sorry, but really looking at the US from here does make you wonder whether that’ll really still be a safe choice in the not too distant future. And while France dodged the bullet at the Presidential election, the parliament is now completely unstable, and who knows where Italy is heading - they’re really not a superstable country now either. 

So are there any safe countries out there then?  If France and Italy and the United States are questionable, tough to find someone without those question marks.

That said, remember about any Olympics in the United States that there will be more private financing than you'll get anywhere else.  There's government involvement, but not to the extent you'll see in pretty much every other country.  So even if the government here is becoming a little unhinged (and I'm underselling when I say "a little"), it won't have the same effect that elections would in other countries.  And I don't want to imagine potential outcomes of a 2024 election and who that might put in the spotlight come July 2028.

14 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

The 2nd paragraph was clearly sarcasm.  Not sure about the 1st.  Tough to tell on this one because there's a fine line between trolling and ignorance and this poster tends to flirt with it on a regular basis

What's trolling or ignorance is very much dependent on the lens a person uses to filter his or her opinion. Plus, a person's humor meter may or may not detect sarcasm.

1 hour ago, Olympics2028 said:

What's trolling or ignorance is very much dependent on the lens a person uses to filter his or her opinion. Plus, a person's humor meter may or may not detect sarcasm.

Interesting way you phrase that considering the only lens you choose to look through is your own.  That's generally known as narcissism.  So it tends to make attempts at humor seem less funny and more trollish

7 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

There's also what's known as "projection."

Look in the mirror, people.

Yup, heard that one before.  You're really asking us to look in the mirror instead of yourself?  Do you even know what narcissism is?  Maybe think about that the next time you tell us what you want to see at the LA 2028 opening ceremony for the 47th time.  Because in case you haven't noticed, most people here give negative fucks at this point about what you want to see in a ceremony

• 4 weeks later...

A bit off topic but still China related, there was an editorial a couple months back on Insidethegames about whether or not China should be awarded any more international sporting events as long as China continues to pursue its zero Covid policies. The fact that the AFC pulled the plug on the Asian Cup for next year says there's serious concern China will continue with it's draconian policies well into next year if not longer. On a side note, a former colleague of mine who just left Shanghai after the most recent hard lockdown says he's hearing talk among the locals that China will not only continue with it's zero Covid policies all of next year but they could even go into 2024. The fact the AFC moved the tournament when they did seems to confirm this. I also think it's a complete fantasy to think China will host the postponed Asian Games in Hangzhou or the summer university games in Chengdu next year under normal conditions. In fact, I'd go as far as to say both will be cancelled outright by January next year with no replacement host.

Of course this is all in addition to the rampant human rights issues.

3 hours ago, stryker said:

China will host the postponed Asian Games in Hangzhou or the summer university games in Chengdu next year under normal conditions. In fact, I'd go as far as to say both will be cancelled outright by January next year with no replacement host.

Of course this is all in addition to the rampant human rights issues.

Hard to cancel the Asian Games because that will serve as a qualfier for some of the Asian slots for some of  Paris 2024 sports.  It's hard enough for the OCA to get the Asian Games to line up with the other regional games so they happen the year right before the OGs, and again, to serve as regional qualifiers.  So I doubt that will happen.  It will be hard enough to scramble and find alternate host(s) for those events.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

5 hours ago, stryker said:

The fact that the AFC pulled the plug on the Asian Cup for next year says there's serious concern China will continue with it's draconian policies well into next year if not longer.

In fact, it was china who decided to not host the AFC 2023 cup

23 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Hard to cancel the Asian Games because that will serve as a qualfier for some of the Asian slots for some of  Paris 2024 sports.  It's hard enough for the OCA to get the Asian Games to line up with the other regional games so they happen the year right before the OGs, and again, to serve as regional qualifiers.  So I doubt that will happen.  It will be hard enough to scramble and find alternate host(s) for those events.  

Good point about the qualifications, but I still think the OCA is in fantasy land if they think China won't still be pursuing full covid lockdowns well into next year. Perhaps they`d ask for a compromise of no spectators similar to the Beijing WOGs? Short of a cancellation I don't see any other option. A relocation of the event is not possible.

• 1 month later...